Thread: Lunchtime ink review: Pilot Iroshizuku Tsukushi

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 237 Posts

Default Lunchtime ink review: Pilot Iroshizuku Tsukushi

Lunchtime ink reviews! I'm taking one ink to work each day and doing one of these during my lunch.

Pilot Iroshizuku Tsukushi, dip test with TWSBI Eco 1.1mm stub, on Rhodia dotpad.

IMG_20181120_135816_edit.jpgIMG_20181120_134828_edit.jpgIMG_20181120_134937_edit.jpg

This is another very smooth brown ink. It looks redder when it goes down, then becomes a little greener as it dries. In the heavily-inked leaves it has some green sheen (detail in last pic) - that is not evident in normal use. It writes fairly uniformly.

I wasn't expecting how tricky it was to get the white balance for these edited-on-computer images to display roughly the correct shade. I think this ink's appearance is quite sensitive to lighting, as it looks rather different on the page in my current night time LED lighting compared to how it looked under work's lighting, quite apart from the way the photos look on different devices. It is greener again here.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Voiren For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (November 23rd, 2018), Empty_of_Clouds (November 21st, 2018), inklord (November 23rd, 2018), junglejim (November 22nd, 2018), KKay (November 21st, 2018), Lady Onogaro (November 21st, 2018), Sailor Kenshin (November 21st, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,498 Times in 4,013 Posts

Default Re: Lunchtime ink review: Pilot Iroshizuku Tsukushi

Thanks for the review. I'm currently adding them all to the Ink Review Index as you post them.

I agree with you that it's tricky to get the white balance right for your inks to be the correct shade. I sometimes have to use Photoshop to make sure the ink looks right.

It's worth starting with getting white paper white, but that sometimes doesn't produce the right ink shade, so that's where the adjustments come in.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

KKay (November 21st, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,529 Times in 1,299 Posts

Really enjoying this review format. It's refreshing, the illustrations are awesome. Keep 'em coming!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,155 Times in 1,103 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    Really enjoying this review format. It's refreshing, the illustrations are awesome. Keep 'em coming!
    Agree

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

Great review once again. I like this ink more or less but the green/yellow lean kept me searching (just my preference). I recall it behaved nicely.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Thanks for the review. I'm currently adding them all to the Ink Review Index as you post them.

I agree with you that it's tricky to get the white balance right for your inks to be the correct shade. I sometimes have to use Photoshop to make sure the ink looks right.

It's worth starting with getting white paper white, but that sometimes doesn't produce the right ink shade, so that's where the adjustments come in.
    Thank you! Yeah, I have Snapseed on my phone, and use the GIMP on my computer. Part of the difference in results is because they do white balance differently, the other is because I'm adjusting them differently as a result of the screen I'm viewing them on. (Snapseed gives you an eyedropper and will change the hue but not the brightness based on it, so you still need to change levels separately. The GIMP will let you eyedropper what ought to be white and will make it white, and you can also eyedropper a mid grey to further tweak the colour cast. Which one gives the best results varies...).

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

***off topic***

I also use Snapseed (and Gimp when editing on the Linux pc. The thing that really pisses me off about this phone (Pixel 2XL) is the auto white balance is absolute crap. Not that it is just off, but it is off differently. For every. Freaking. Picture. If you find a good way to achieve consistency I'm all ears.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by azkid View Post
    ***off topic***

I also use Snapseed (and Gimp when editing on the Linux pc. The thing that really pisses me off about this phone (Pixel 2XL) is the auto white balance is absolute crap. Not that it is just off, but it is off differently. For every. Freaking. Picture. If you find a good way to achieve consistency I'm all ears.
    I'm afraid not! I try to have the same lighting and take pictures from roughly the same angle (but that is much easier when photographing smaller objects under lamps and using a camera with a physical zoom). With a phone the auto-brightening adjustment just changes the colour cast too much with even slight changes of angle. At work I've got the overhead lighting colour, the monitor lighting colour, and photographing flat pieces of paper seems inherently tricky! But if I had to use my other camera I really would never get around to taking them in the first place.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by migo984 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    Agree
    dto.