Thread: Waterpik toothe flossing device

Thanks

Default Waterpik tooth flossing device

I was trying to clean out the feed and section on an old sheaffer scripsert for the last two weeks. It was the worst case of dried ink clog that I've ever come across. After a week of soaking in pen wash and repeated attempts to get any water through it with a bulb, I had an idea! Bolted to the wall next to the sink that I was using to try and clear the feed was my waterpik brand tooth flossing thing. I filled it with warm water and set it on medium, I was quite pleased with the chunks of hardened black ink that it was able to dislodge. Still, after a while, it stopped making progress. I let it soak for a few more days and then was able to clear a little more. After about another week of this, I got impatient and got out the big guns...

120 psi air from the compressor in the basement, sort of aimed at the cartridge piercing nipple finally cleared a channel so water could flow through it. After that it cleaned up nicely with less drastic techniques.

The pen is working great now!

Anyway, I don't think I would recommend compressed air as a good idea for pen cleaning tools, but the waterpik thing works pretty darned well and they are easy enough to come by. Just thought I'd share...

One of these days I'm going to have to pony up and get an ultrasonic cleaner...

Cheers!
    Last edited by although; November 26th, 2018 at 09:11 AM. Reason: spell correct

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to although For This Useful Post:

DickBrowne (December 3rd, 2018), Jon Szanto (November 26th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

Default Re: Waterpik toothe flossing device

I'd bet my bottom dollar that was India ink residue in the pen...
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    I'd bet my bottom dollar that was India ink residue in the pen...
    That's exactly what I was thinking.

I was also thinking I might have put my new bottle of Rapidoeze to use.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Geeez......that's quite a story....I can't imagine using such "big guns" to clean a pen!! But hell....if it works....GREAT!!

Thanks

I've been thinking of building some sort of contraption that would attach directly to a faucet, so I could get water at higher pressure through, but the waterpik seems like the way to go because it not only provides decent pressure, but does so in bursts, which probably helps a lot.

Compressed air... Hmmm.... you can get 3000 PSI out of a charged scuba tank, but you'd need a gun permit, and something to pry nibs out of sheetrock.

Alex

Thanks

Ya, the waterpik was remarkably effective, but it does tend to create a fine spray of slightly inky mist that gets all over the sink, mirror, countertop... Wasn't being very precious about it though. I was just cupping the section in my left hand in a feeble attempt to limit the overspray. One could probably cobble together a tiny spray booth to limit the collateral damage

Thanks

Ooh wait... I've got it! You could hold the section between your teeth, and just use the waterpik the usual way! Then the inky water could just dribble out of your mouth.... Hmm, maybe a slight problem there.