Thread: How to get lint out of a EF nib?

Thanks

Default How to get lint out of a EF nib?

I salvaged a lens module from a dead phone, taped it in front of a good phone and started to photograph my second best possession: fountain pens! (Wife didn't consent).

Turns out my el-cheapo first foray into the world of fountain pens (Wing Sung 9112, less than 10€ on AliExpress, got it to see if I like fountain pens) has paper lint in the nib. What's the easiest way of getting it out without hurting the nib with a needle or such?

Also, what can I do next time this contraption refuses to yield any ink?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Default Re: How to get lint out of a EF nib?

The traditional way would call for flossing the tine slit with a brass shim. If you do not have a shim, look for those security devices that come in DVD cases, cut one open and you'll get two shims suitable for flossing your nibs.

Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KrazyIvan For This Useful Post:

cizra (November 30th, 2018), FredRydr (November 30th, 2018), Robert (November 30th, 2018)

FPG Donor ♕
    Thanks

Don't use brass on gold. You run the risk of scratching the inner tines which can kill ink flow. Don't use plastic either. Plastic can leave scrapings behind which will only compound the original problem. Brass shims are ok for steel nibs as steel is harder than brass. Usually flushing the pen, or flushing the nib with water is enough. Sometimes I may need to actually taking the tip of the nib between my thumb and index finger and "pull" out what may be there. But often, water is enough.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,473 Times in 4,007 Posts

I have used the very thinnest pieces of brass shim very carefully in the occasional gold nib, but I slightly flex the tines with my thumbnail first, so that I have a wider gap, than the thickness of the brass shim, to carefully slide the brass shim into.

For an extra fine nib I would first carefully flex it with my thumbnail and try to blow out the debris, if that didn't work I would dip it in warm soapy water. My last resort would be the really fine brass shim that's almost like paper, and I would be very careful as above. No scrubbing up and down, just one pass from the breather hole to the tip should do it.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 555 Posts

boil it!

jk, do not boil it.