Thread: Rollerball New Purchase - Vendor Advice/info, Specifically Montblanc

Thanks

Default Rollerball New Purchase - Vendor Advice/info, Specifically Montblanc

Hi all,
    I'm decently well versed on the different types of pens. Don't have any specific questions about brand, features, etc - more about the WHERE....
    I would like to purchase another Rollerball. Not necessarily brand specific, but something very high quality, with Montblanc being the top choice.

I visited a dealer, to look at several different brands & variations. I looked at a Lamy (very nice) but was *only* about $64, and certainly didn't have the presence/weight/etc of a Montblanc. Now, all the Montblanc Rollerballs I liked were like $600-$1000. Lol. They're good, and I like them, but they're not THAT good!!! With that said, I do however again prefer their design, the logo, etc.

So, my question for you nice folks is:
    any recommendations on a good vendor?? Also, I'm not dead set on new -- I'm more than open to a used one. And of course, I assume once someone buys new and it's then "used", the value drops to $200-$300. Happy to pay that price for a very gently used & great shape, $600-$1000 new-price pen.

I'm scared of Ebay and Amazon due to probably fakes/counterfeits. I just read some postings on this very forum about Amazon purchases with NO serial number, etc etc. Not something I want to deal with. I also know that Montblanc ARE definitely faked a lot. I certainly want a genuine, authentic product.

My best prospect: Is there a Sales section on this forum? It appears there is, though it wasn't very clear (to me) to navigate? I would hope it's sorted by section - Fountain, Roller, Ball point, Ink & refills (or similar)?? Please point me in that direction.... Much appreciated!
    Are there vendors here that stock & sell used pens? Similar to DavidSW or Takuya on RolexForums?? That would be awesome.

Finally - any recommendations of a different Great brand with wonderful design & functionality (similar to MB) and high quality, without the astronomical, ridiculous price tag??
    Ok guys, many thanks in advance!!! Cheers

Thanks

Default Re: Rollerball New Purchase - Vendor Advice/info, Specifically Montblanc

Two thoughts - if you're set on a Mont Blanc, the Pix is a good, inexpensive model, if it definitely doesn't need to be MB, I'd look at the Diplomat Excellence A or A2 - I have an A2 fountain pen and it is a really good weight and size (for me, at least). I'll be adding a rollerball or ballpoint to it in the near future.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,124 Times in 428 Posts

Default Re: Rollerball New Purchase - Vendor Advice/info, Specifically Montblanc

Note that the OP has also cross-posted to the Montblanc forum. (Some answers there!)
    Last edited by junglejim; December 1st, 2018 at 07:29 PM. Reason: spelling

Thanks

The only rollerball I own—for those rare circumstances when a fountain pen won’t do—is a Waterman Expert Deluxe in Blue. I’m quite familiar with the MB rollerballs and I much prefer the Waterman. The lacquered brass and rhodium plate feels weighty and both looks and feels more luxurious in the hand.

If you’re quite set on a MB, the good news for you is that they’re considerably less expensive used, much more so than you estimated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by junglejim View Post
    Note that the OP has also cross-posted to the Montblanc forum. (Some answers there!)
    I thought I had posted a reply to this and that it had disappeared.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Thank you all so much, for the amazing feedback & your suggestions! I appreciate your time, and will certainly look into these options. Also surprised the used MB are less than I had mentioned. Thanks!

Thanks

The Aurora Ipsilon Deluxe would be a good candidate regarding weight and handling, the only problem is that it looks too much like a Montblanc without the logo - I don't think that that's something you'd like.

Regarding presence, if you want something uncommon but with a lot of presence, I'd go for an old generation Parker Premier. I just got the fountain pen version in Chinese Lacquer and I'm overly impressed by it.

alex