Thread: Rollerball New Purchase - Vendor Advice/info, Specifically Montblanc

Thanks

Default Rollerball New Purchase - Vendor Advice/info, Specifically Montblanc

Hi all,
    I'm decently well versed on the different types of pens. Don't have any specific questions about brand, features, etc - more about the WHERE....
    I would like to purchase another Rollerball. Not necessarily brand specific, but something very high quality, with Montblanc being the top choice.

I visited a dealer, to look at several different brands & variations. I looked at a Lamy (very nice) but was *only* about $64, and certainly didn't have the presence/weight/etc of a Montblanc. Now, all the Montblanc Rollerballs I liked were like $600-$1000. Lol. They're good, and I like them, but they're not THAT good!!! With that said, I do however again prefer their design, the logo, etc.

So, my question for you nice folks is:
    any recommendations on a good vendor?? Also, I'm not dead set on new -- I'm more than open to a used one. And of course, I assume once someone buys new and it's then "used", the value drops to $200-$300. Happy to pay that price for a very gently used & great shape, $600-$1000 new-price pen.

I'm scared of Ebay and Amazon due to probably fakes/counterfeits. I just read some postings on this very forum about Amazon purchases with NO serial number, etc etc. Not something I want to deal with. I also know that Montblanc ARE definitely faked a lot. I certainly want a genuine, authentic product.

My best prospect: Is there a Sales section on this forum? It appears there is, though it wasn't very clear (to me) to navigate? I would hope it's sorted by section - Fountain, Roller, Ball point, Ink & refills (or similar)?? Please point me in that direction.... Much appreciated!
    Are there vendors here that stock & sell used pens? Similar to DavidSW or Takuya on RolexForums?? That would be awesome.

Finally - any recommendations of a different Great brand with wonderful design & functionality (similar to MB) and high quality, without the astronomical, ridiculous price tag??
    Ok guys, many thanks in advance!!! Cheers

Thanks
    Thanked 10,464 Times in 4,005 Posts

Default Re: Rollerball New Purchase - Vendor Advice/info, Specifically Montblanc

Yes there is a For Sale forum on FPG under the Classifieds header.

On ebay and Amazon you are fully covered to get all of your money back in the event that the item you receive isn't what it was described and sold as, assuming you buy directly through an ebay seller or Amazon (including fulfilment) themselves. It's just a case of setting up a search on ebay and keeping watch for the right pen to come along.

There are many great brands. The most difficult thing is to find exactly the pen you want for a price you want to pay. I suggest you read up about as many brands as you can, and if you have a B&M store somewhere reasonably close, go and look at some pens before you make a decision.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks
    Thanked 1,144 Times in 432 Posts

Default Re: Rollerball New Purchase - Vendor Advice/info, Specifically Montblanc

You will find that all of the pen forums list pens for sale in a haphazard list; no seperate sections as to pencils, rollerballs, ballpoints, etc.

One good dealer that I know of that buys, inspects, repairs, and then sells used pens is Teri over at Peyton Street Pens in California. Her listings are broken down by brand names. She does have a Montblanc rollerball listed, as well as some Visconti rollerballs. (Click on the Pens-Europe dropdown.) She has an excellent reputation in the pen community, and the only one I can think of that handles rollerball pens. BTW, the "NEW" Blue bubble you see above the pens refers to a New Listing on her site, NOT that the pen is brand new.

She's at Peytonstreetpens.com

(No affiliation with Peyton Street Pens, just a happy browser.)

All the Best.
    Last edited by junglejim; December 1st, 2018 at 10:26 AM.

Thanks

The back room at Fountain Pen Hospital often has used Montblanc Rollerballs.

The Waterman rollerball is a good alternative to the MB rollerball.

Bon chance,

Bob

Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 806 Posts

You could also take a look at a nice Pelikan rollerball.

Thanks

Thank you all so much, for the amazing feedback & your suggestions! I appreciate your time, and will certainly look into these options.