Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If it isn't a fountain pen...

Thanks

Default If it isn't a fountain pen...

What would your next choice of writing instrument be?

I have a strange affliction for completeness - if I buy a fountain pen and really like it, I am compelled to search out the matching ballpoint/rollerball and pencil.

I think (note italics) that I prefer the pencil over the ballpoint option, but I'm not always certain.

Pondering this tonight, I got to wondering if I am alone in this behaviour, or do others also hanker after a "set"? If you do, what's your preference for a second item in the set? Pen or pencil, and if it's a pen, which type?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 555 Posts

Default Re: If it isn't a fountain pen...

sharpie, or a pricked fingertip.

Thanks

Matching pencil all the way. I hate ballpoints, although, I guess I could live with a good rollerball.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,642 Times in 665 Posts

If it's not a fountain pen, but still needs some kind of permanence/boldness I just use my backup Pilot G2 gel pen (either in black or blue). But if it's not ink, I'll use this (or a Lamy 2000 0.7 mechanical pencil, or the Kuru Toga 0.5)

An Eversharp 1.12mm mechanical pencil in Rosewood (hard rubber pattern)

PS: The only 'set' I have would be the Lamy 2000 even though I don't often use the L2K fountain pen compared to my other pens (I use the pencil more than I do the fountain pen it seems), the pencil is from before 1991 as it has W.Germany on it, the ballpoint I'm using a M16 to D1 adapter to use other refills rather than Lamy's M16, and the Fountain pen is with a 14K EF nib (post-2012).

I would love having a 'set' for my 1956 Pelikan 400nn, or my Aurora Afrika LE, but that's either going to be uncommon or too rich for me.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DickBrowne View Post
    I have a strange affliction for completeness - if I buy a fountain pen and really like it, I am compelled to search out the matching ballpoint/rollerball and pencil.
    Not strange at all. I love fountain pen and pencil pairings:

- Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks
    Thanked 4,645 Times in 1,131 Posts

If not a fountain pen then a clicky ballpoint, preferably with a fine gel refill, or a pencil stub. I usually have all three writing modes about me, depending on the purpose and the paper.

Thanks

It won’t be a ballpoint, that much you can be sure of!

I keep one rollerball in the quiver for those rare instances in which a fountain pen won’t do. Actually, I bought it before I returned to fountain pens. It’s a Waterman Expert Deluxe in blue, and I liked it so much that my third or fourth fountain pen was a matching Waterman. I’d actually prefer they weren’t a matched set, but I can’t bring myself to get rid of either.

If I didn’t already own the Waterman, given how little I use anything other than a FP these days, I’d probably just forgo anything nice an just stick to Pilot V5 Precise 0.5mm, liquid-ink rollerballs. They are the only disposables I like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

I take a RB on holiday with me in order to complete immigration forms that can't be completed with a FP.

I'm not a fan of trying to buy "sets" and prefer to just buy FP's on their own. However, I still have a couple of BP's somewhere in boxes, that go unused. Suppose I should consider selling my Mb Verne BP....
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

I like to mix n' match FP with a BP/RB, just in case I will need a backup . But not always form the same brand. For instance check this combo, Sailor 1911L FP with Aurora Ipsilon BP, both burgundy:

Thanks

Interesting cross-section of opinions, and I can see a leaning away from the mainstream which is an obvious reflection of the community here. Most people are happy to use a 50p throwaway biro if it makes a mark on paper (or, more likely, their telephone keyboard) whereas this thread has a common under-tow of "it's not just writing, it's an experience".

I like the very first response from Manoeuver- a pricked finger, I really get that, even if it isn't my own direction. I do enjoy a proper ink pen but, like Catbert and Kulprit, I always have more than one writing mode - generally at work I will carry a couple of fountain pens, each containing a different coloured ink so I can easily identify my actions in meetings, and another mode of writing - usually a mechanical pencil, just in case I run out of ink (unlikely as I often have a number of small sample bottles of the appropriate colours in my pen case - if you want to raise eyebrows and have people remember you, simply re-fill a fountain pen from an ink bottle in a meeting with people who write software for a living. If you never want to fade from memory, knock the bottle over half-way through the fill. Ahem).

I also like the picture from Usk15 - it reflects my own mindset in a number of ways; in addition to needing the backup of a different method of writing, I am being given a burgundy Parker 51 for Christmas (thank you for helping to sort this out, Chrissy!) and have already found a Parker 51 mechanical pencil in the same burgundy finish. I just need a Parker case for it now!

My other love is vintage watches and I can see similarities on both pen and watch fora - I can go to any jewellers, department store, fashion outlet or even a market and spend a very small amount of money on a watch which will never need winding, never need maintenance (other than a new battery every few years) and will be accurate to within a couple of seconds a year. Instead, I spend a significant amount of money on a watch, which needs hunting down, will need regular maintenance and winding and will be far less accurate, in exactly the same way, we as a community will travel a distance to spend far more money on a far less convenient way of making marks on paper.

Vive la difference!
    Last edited by DickBrowne; December 2nd, 2018 at 02:33 AM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to DickBrowne For This Useful Post:

Carpio (May 25th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 695 Posts

Next to fountain pens, the writing instruments which I find most interesting are mechanical pencils. I have an accumulation of them which doesn't really rival the fountain pens in quantity, but is still larger than I need. If it's a job for ink, then my second choice to a fountain pen would be some sort of gel pen or liquid ink rollerball. But I generally have a fountain pen with me, so the pencils get more use than the other types of pen. I would not be unhappy using a mechanical pencil for journaling, but use them more for notes, drawing, and crosswords.

As for getting a set, fountain pen, ballpoint, rollerball, mechanical pencil..., no, that really doesn't interest me; I'm particularly not interested in matching ballpoints or even rollerballs. I have a couple of vintage Esterbrook mechanical pencils which are a nice match for my J series fountain pens, and one which is a match for the Dollar Pens. The pencils are in my rotation for pocket carry, but they are more likely to share a pocket with one of my Pilots than with an Esterbrook pen. Here's an old picture, not taken for this thread, of one with my Pilot Capless Decimo.

"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly."
    G.K. Chesterton

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

19th-century dip pens, for example:

IMG_0309.jpg

Thanks

All my FP´s have a matching mechanical pencil.

I also have all kinds of mechanical pencils both modern and vintage.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,697 Posts

I prefer pencils as next choice writing device.

Quote 009 by Ptero Pterodactylus, auf Flickr

(Staedtler Mars Lumograph - 3B)

We seldom think of what we have, but always of what we lack.

Thanks

For me it's mostly a mechanical pencil (or a propelling pencil like my Yard-O-Led). I am agnostic, though, and enjoy the different feel and uses of ballpoints, gels, wood pencils and all the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by KBeezie View Post
    ...the ballpoint I'm using a M16 to D1 adapter to use other refills rather than Lamy's M16
    Can you tell me more about the adapter? I've had a quick look on eBay UK and Shapeways but no immediate success. Such an adapter would be useful for my L2K ballpoint. The ballpoint is absolutely fine, but there are other ballpoints I prefer and for the L2K I'd rather use a nice gel instead.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Today if I am not using a fountain pen it is most often my finger on a touchscreen.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kaputnik View Post
    Next to fountain pens, the writing instruments which I find most interesting are mechanical pencils. I have an accumulation of them which doesn't really rival the fountain pens in quantity, but is still larger than I need. If it's a job for ink, then my second choice to a fountain pen would be some sort of gel pen or liquid ink rollerball. But I generally have a fountain pen with me, so the pencils get more use than the other types of pen. I would not be unhappy using a mechanical pencil for journaling, but use them more for notes, drawing, and crosswords.

As for getting a set, fountain pen, ballpoint, rollerball, mechanical pencil..., no, that really doesn't interest me; I'm particularly not interested in matching ballpoints or even rollerballs. I have a couple of vintage Esterbrook mechanical pencils which are a nice match for my J series fountain pens, and one which is a match for the Dollar Pens. The pencils are in my rotation for pocket carry, but they are more likely to share a pocket with one of my Pilots than with an Esterbrook pen. Here's an old picture, not taken for this thread, of one with my Pilot Capless Decimo.

I've wondered though why we haven't seen something equivalent to a Vanishing Point/Capless BP/RP/MP (ie: least in matching styles to their FP counterpart). But I'm guessing there's no market desire for it to their prediction. Usually they're offered (like you can get the Platinum Century 3776 in a non-FP).

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    Today if I am not using a fountain pen it is most often my finger on a touchscreen.
    This for me... phone or tablet with me, or desktop (laptop on location).
    Last edited by KBeezie; December 2nd, 2018 at 06:27 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by milkb0at View Post
    For me it's mostly a mechanical pencil (or a propelling pencil like my Yard-O-Led). I am agnostic, though, and enjoy the different feel and uses of ballpoints, gels, wood pencils and all the rest.

...the ballpoint I'm using a M16 to D1 adapter to use other refills rather than Lamy's M16
    Can you tell me more about the adapter? I've had a quick look on eBay UK and Shapeways but no immediate success. Such an adapter would be useful for my L2K ballpoint. The ballpoint is absolutely fine, but there are other ballpoints I prefer and for the L2K I'd rather use a nice gel instead.
    Perhaps this? https://clickypost.squarespace.com/b...refill-adaptor

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by catbert View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by milkb0at View Post

Perhaps this? https://clickypost.squarespace.com/b...refill-adaptor
    Nope, mine was from ShapeWays because the one you linked doesn't exist on Amazon anymore.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/VJ...ionId=65508247

Edit: That exact link seems to be gone, but this is the maker : https://www.shapeways.com/marketplac...diy/?tag=tofty

Edit #2 : Seems he's no longer making it by itself but rather as a multi-pen pack at $17 for the usual plastic

https://www.shapeways.com/product/YH...li=marketplace

And $35 for the same plastic one I got individually for $10

https://www.shapeways.com/product/YH...li=marketplace

I present my multiple refill adapter model. It contains 10 adapters, which will allow Mini/Multi D1 refills (not included) to be used in pens that take these ballpoint refills:
    Caran d'Ache Goliath,
    Fisher PR,
    Generic Winged Plastic Tube type refill,
    Lamy M16,
    Lamy M22 (requires cutting the D1 down to 58mm),
    Mont Blanc BP,
    Parker G2,
    Sheaffer K,
    Waterman BP,
    Zebra F.
    Don't know why he would eliminate the individual option though.
    Last edited by KBeezie; December 2nd, 2018 at 07:17 PM.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KBeezie For This Useful Post:

catbert (December 2nd, 2018), milkb0at (December 3rd, 2018)

Thanks

Nope, mine was from ShapeWays because the one you linked doesn't exist on Amazon anymore.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/VJ...ionId=65508247
    The dead link in Dudek's review and where you got yours are unrelated, but no matter.

His adapter appears to be one of several, available via Amazon Japan and Rakuten.