Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 33 of 33

Thread: Confessions of an Inkaholic

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    657
    Thanks
    620
    Thanked 590 Times in 277 Posts
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Re: Confessions of an Inkaholic

    I've always taken a not-full fill as a given, having started out not knowing the methods for achieving one, and now rarely needing one.

  2. #22
    Senior Member Sailor Kenshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Where pigs run free!
    Posts
    2,486
    Thanks
    2,832
    Thanked 1,556 Times in 844 Posts
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: Confessions of an Inkaholic

    Okay, you convinced me: some DA USC (that I overfilled on a too-dry Nemosine) is going back into the bottle.

  3. #23
    Senior Member calamus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Redwoods Rainforest
    Posts
    579
    Thanks
    449
    Thanked 406 Times in 212 Posts
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: Confessions of an Inkaholic

    I usually end up getting on a roll with a certain pen and ink combination, and then I write till it's dry then refill with the same ink, then write till it's dry again, then refill again, etc., until I decide to change for any number of reasons. If the converter is dry at that point, then I just clean it and the pen and let them dry, and go onto the next pen/ink combo. If the converter is half full or less, I'll dump out the remainder of the ink in the sink, and if it's mostly full, it goes back into the bottle if I feel confident that there's been no contamination.
    Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)

  4. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    San Marino
    Posts
    59
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts
    Rep Power
    1

    Default Re: Confessions of an Inkaholic

    I'm a one ink, and (mostly) one pen user. Although as I write exclusively with iron gall inks, using up a whole fill is often problematic, as the nib develops a crust and the flow is just terrible, so the last bit - 1/3 and below of sac or pen body - goes back into the bottle, before I flush the pen with tap water and vinegar.

  5. #25
    Senior Member azkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Posts
    930
    Thanks
    1,576
    Thanked 783 Times in 364 Posts
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: Confessions of an Inkaholic

    Definitely both.

    For my daily users I like to find which one of my black inks that works best in the pen and then I just write those dry and refill with the same.

    If I try an ink and it doesn't work I dump it back in it's sample vial if I have one or down the sink with some regret.

    With color inks I usually run the pen dry unless I really dislike using the ink for some reason.

    I like converter or piston pens where I can do a partial fill.

  6. #26
    FPG Donor ♕ Chrissy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Berkshire UK
    Posts
    4,993
    Thanks
    2,233
    Thanked 4,221 Times in 1,598 Posts
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: Confessions of an Inkaholic

    Quote Originally Posted by aquafox View Post
    I'm a one ink, and (mostly) one pen user. Although as I write exclusively with iron gall inks, using up a whole fill is often problematic, as the nib develops a crust and the flow is just terrible, so the last bit - 1/3 and below of sac or pen body - goes back into the bottle, before I flush the pen with tap water and vinegar.
    I'm not sure I would flush my pens with vinegar. It's more acid than just water. On the other hand I don't use IG inks, so maybe the ink demands that vinegar is used to flush it.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Blog: inkyfountainpens

  7. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Minor Hill in Southern Middle Tennessee
    Posts
    50
    Thanks
    21
    Thanked 20 Times in 12 Posts
    Rep Power
    1

    Default Re: Confessions of an Inkaholic

    After I decide what ink I like best in a particular pen I do complete fills and always use the same ink in it . I rinse the pen when it writes dry and refill with the same ink . I would have no problem with putting ink back in the bottle since I know exactly which bottle it came from . I usually only have 5 or 6 pens inked at any one time so they are pretty easy to keep up with .

    Eddie

  8. #28
    Senior Member calamus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Redwoods Rainforest
    Posts
    579
    Thanks
    449
    Thanked 406 Times in 212 Posts
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: Confessions of an Inkaholic

    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Southgate View Post
    After I decide what ink I like best in a particular pen I do complete fills and always use the same ink in it . I rinse the pen when it writes dry and refill with the same ink . I would have no problem with putting ink back in the bottle since I know exactly which bottle it came from . I usually only have 5 or 6 pens inked at any one time so they are pretty easy to keep up with .

    Eddie
    You must be a lot younger than me. Five or six pens inked for very long, and I'll forget what's in at least one, maybe two of them, particularly if it's a dark blue.
    Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)

  9. #29
    Senior Member Sailor Kenshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Where pigs run free!
    Posts
    2,486
    Thanks
    2,832
    Thanked 1,556 Times in 844 Posts
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: Confessions of an Inkaholic

    Quote Originally Posted by calamus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Southgate View Post
    After I decide what ink I like best in a particular pen I do complete fills and always use the same ink in it . I rinse the pen when it writes dry and refill with the same ink . I would have no problem with putting ink back in the bottle since I know exactly which bottle it came from . I usually only have 5 or 6 pens inked at any one time so they are pretty easy to keep up with .

    Eddie
    You must be a lot younger than me. Five or six pens inked for very long, and I'll forget what's in at least one, maybe two of them, particularly if it's a dark blue.
    My secret is, I write it down.

  10. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    44
    Thanks
    44
    Thanked 50 Times in 18 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Confessions of an Inkaholic

    I'm finding this thread interesting because I've been cogitating exactly this over the past few weeks - I have inks I'd like to change, but the level of ink in each pen is still considerable, I've thought about dumping the contents back into the original bottle, but have never done it yet.

  11. #31
    Senior Member jacksterp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Raleigh
    Posts
    477
    Thanks
    214
    Thanked 162 Times in 109 Posts
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Re: Confessions of an Inkaholic

    Fill 'er up. Use it up or dump it into the sink.

    I have far too much ink to worry about it...

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to jacksterp For This Useful Post:

    VertOlive (December 23rd, 2018)

  13. #32
    Senior Member VertOlive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Lone Star Planet
    Posts
    3,581
    Thanks
    3,535
    Thanked 3,257 Times in 1,425 Posts
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Re: Confessions of an Inkaholic

    Reading this reminds me that I've got an eyedropper that's gone beyond forever with The Wrong Ink aboard. It's too dry for the pen and I'm tired of the color. Time for a flush and new ink!
    "Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life"?—Mary Oliver

  14. #33
    FPG Donor ♕ Chrissy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Berkshire UK
    Posts
    4,993
    Thanks
    2,233
    Thanked 4,221 Times in 1,598 Posts
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: Confessions of an Inkaholic

    Quote Originally Posted by DickBrowne View Post
    I'm finding this thread interesting because I've been cogitating exactly this over the past few weeks - I have inks I'd like to change, but the level of ink in each pen is still considerable, I've thought about dumping the contents back into the original bottle, but have never done it yet.
    I believe this depends on several factors. How well you clean your pens before you fill them and how long has the ink been in the pen. I am OCD about cleaning and drying my pens, and when I add a converter full of ink to write a review and it's in there for less than 3 days, then I have been known to sometimes put the remaining ink back into the sample that I took it from. After all, the ink was only a sample to start with.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Blog: inkyfountainpens

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •