Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Confessions of an Inkaholic

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

Default Confessions of an Inkaholic

Okay, time to fess up.

Who uses the whole fill of ink, and who swaps ink before the fill is done?

Extra question: those who only use a partial fill, do you put the remains back in the bottle?

For myself I have, on occasion, here and there, once or twice, not used the whole fill.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

DickBrowne (December 9th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 786 Posts

Default Re: Confessions of an Inkaholic

I always dump the ink before it's out. Thing is, I don't write much, just notes, calculations, and rough design drawings, so eventually I get a clue from how concentrated the ink becomes that I ought to think about doing something. In some cases I just add distilled water, but eventually I just dump out the ink and start over with something else, usually after cleaning out that pen and putting it away. Just this evening, I dumped what turned out to be 3 very concentrated drops of Montblanc Irish Green out of a Forest Green Parker 51. The ink went into the sink, not the bottle. Switched to a Montblanc 146 with Montblanc Lavender Purple. Don't know how long that will last. I like the color, but in the past I haven't lasted a whole fill of a 146 before wanting something else. And the 146 holds a lot of ink. Probably I shouldn't have filled it so full.
    --
    Mike

Thanks
    Thanked 3,155 Times in 1,103 Posts

Both use up, & also empty leftovers, depending on circumstances.
    Never empty back into bottle.

Thanks

Both here.....but mostly dump it before it runs dry and never back in the bottle since sometimes I forget what ink is in it!!

Thanks

Im guilty of all of the above. I probably write pens dry about 50% of the time. When I decide to clear one out early, I usually dump them down the sink, but I have dumped back in the bottle a couple of times. If memory serves, those times involved cases where I just didn't like a pen / ink combo and had only recently filled the pen. It just felt too wasteful dumping out a full pen... Probably not a great idea in retrospect. Like pouring a partial glass of milk back in the jug

Thanks
    Thanked 1,927 Times in 842 Posts

My own pens, the ones I use to write with, I use all the ink. I also write-test the pens I sell. I use only part of a fill for that and the remainder goes back in the bottle.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Deb For This Useful Post:

DickBrowne (December 9th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,656 Times in 1,132 Posts

Usually I write my pens dry. If a pen and ink don't get along, I'll dump the ink into a sample vial. If I want a different colour, I'll ink up another pen — I have (more than) enough without having to empty one that's already filled with something else.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,371 Times in 3,981 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mhosea View Post
    I always dump the ink before it's out. Thing is, I don't write much, just notes, calculations, and rough design drawings, so eventually I get a clue from how concentrated the ink becomes that I ought to think about doing something. In some cases I just add distilled water, but eventually I just dump out the ink and start over with something else, usually after cleaning out that pen and putting it away. Just this evening, I dumped what turned out to be 3 very concentrated drops of Montblanc Irish Green out of a Forest Green Parker 51. The ink went into the sink, not the bottle. Switched to a Montblanc 146 with Montblanc Lavender Purple. Don't know how long that will last. I like the color, but in the past I haven't lasted a whole fill of a 146 before wanting something else. And the 146 holds a lot of ink. Probably I shouldn't have filled it so full.
    I don't fill any of my pens completely full. It saves me wasting so much ink.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

mhosea (December 3rd, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 556 Posts

If the cart. is mostly full (cos I've changed my mind within a day), then I have been known to syringe it out and return it to the bottle, but these days, I tape up the cart. and label what ink it is. Saves me time when whimsy suggests I try that ink again.

Otherwise, I tend to top off the cartridges before they run dry. I fill a few of my pens with the same inks fairly consistently, but there are a few that I haven't quite matched the ink to (thus the "cheapies" for the non-"EDC" colors).

I haven't quite figured out what my "EDC" blue/blue-black is. The candidates are: Pilot Blue, Pilot Blue-Black, KWŻ Niebiesky galusowy #1 (Blue IG), KWŻ Azure #2, and... probably some other blue. Or gray. (Noodler's Lexington Gray is such a beautiful match for the Pilot Falcon (SEF) that recently when I tried to change the ink, I had to change it back within the day.) (The other gray vying for an "EDC" spot is Faber-Castell Stone Grey.)

Most-used ink (currently in four pens) is Noodler's Black. This is the ink that gets topped off the most.

P.S. If I don't save the ink in the cartridge (seal it, however clumsily), then I wash it down the drain. If I don't save it in the cartridge, it's cos there isn't much left.
    Last edited by ethernautrix; December 3rd, 2018 at 05:40 AM. Reason: Afterthought

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ethernautrix For This Useful Post:

DickBrowne (December 9th, 2018), Sailor Kenshin (December 4th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,793 Times in 1,644 Posts

This is why I seldom fill the converter beyond halfway; I have a kind of "Ink Attention Deficit Disorder" and always want to switch pens and inks quickly.

I write them dry, but it doesn't take as long to do so.
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VertOlive For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (December 4th, 2018), NibsForScript (December 4th, 2018), Sailor Kenshin (December 4th, 2018)

Thanks

The only time I dump/refill is when I’m trying a new pen/ink combo and immediately determine it’s not a match made in heaven. In that case I’ll dump it back into the bottle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Kulprit For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (December 4th, 2018)

Thanks

Not quite sure why an aura of guilt and confession has to be ascribed to this, but anyway...

I am an unashamed ink butterfly. There are a lot of inks, a lot of pens, I like to favour as many of them as I can so none of them feel left out. So I usually only partial fill, for a start, because while I will throw ink away I don't see the need to be wasteful with it for no reason. Then I write. If it's a poor pen/ink match, I empty it again. Life's too short for unhappy pen and ink marriages. If it's a good match, I'll probably write it out. If I'm in the middle of something, I may even refill it. If I get bored before the end, I'll empty it out. Never back in the bottle, usually down the drain, recently in an old bottle just to see what colour I might get (mainly on a theme of green, funnily enough). At some point that'll go down the drain too, because I don't hate any pen* enough to inflict such a mish-mash of inks on it.

To sum up: ink is cheap; my time available to use it is short. Would rather waste ink than time.

*Except maybe the Jinhao 922. But that cracked up ages ago and is in the great pen pot in the sky. Or maybe, if there's any justice, somewhere lower down...

19. The Following User Says Thank You to grainweevil For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (December 4th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

Not quite sure why an aura of guilt and confession has to be ascribed to this, but anyway...
    Let's just assume it was a tongue-in-cheek way to start a conversation.

Hadn't thought about saving dribs and drabs and mixing them. Might give it a go.

Generally though I do use the whole fill, and usually make myself do it if using one of the pricier inks (Sailor for example, because these inks are not cheap to me!)

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

NibsForScript (December 4th, 2018), Sailor Kenshin (December 4th, 2018)

Thanks

This thread is absolutely fascinating to me and has made me feel better.

I thought I was strange because I don't write that much, like to change pens and inks frequently, and therefore took to only filling the converters part way. Now I find out there are many others who do the same.

I am most certainly still strange, but apparently not because of my ink usage habit!

Thank you all for providing a morning smile!

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to whichwatch For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (December 4th, 2018), grainweevil (December 4th, 2018), Sailor Kenshin (December 4th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,716 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    Okay, time to fess up.

Who uses the whole fill of ink, and who swaps ink before the fill is done?

Extra question: those who only use a partial fill, do you put the remains back in the bottle?

For myself I have, on occasion, here and there, once or twice, not used the whole fill.
    Almost always, I will grind through a fill with gritted teeth, even disliking the ink. I have to absolutely despise the ink/pen combo before jettisoning the fluid.

That said, I rarely do complete fills, unless it's a tried-and-true combination.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks

Right now, I am writing with a Sheaffer Statesman with a Touchdown filling system. The pen sports an ink window, but the ink doesn't go there; I can't tell how full the pen is before I go on a real writing toot. So whenever I push the plunger, whatever ink is left in the pen goes into the bottle before the pen inhales a new fill. I haven't seen any biological activity in my ink bottles for many years. Snorkels and TipDip pens have the same "problem".

Lever, piston, VacFill, and cartridge pens easily show their fill levels. I can check them before I "take 'em to the woods".

I always rinse a pen before changing inks. You have to take chemistry into account.
    "Nothing is enough for the man to whom enough is too little." -Epicurus-

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    Generally though I do use the whole fill, and usually make myself do it if using one of the pricier inks (Sailor for example, because these inks are not cheap to me!)
    Ah, cloudless-sky-but-the-sun's-getting-in-my-eyes-and-the-shades-you've-given-me-don't-fit-exactly-right, you fail to value both your money and your time. Save the former and let Sailor and their ridiculous prices go for a long walk off a short pier, and value the latter by using it well to seek the perfect balance of pen and ink in order to embrace true fountain pen nirvana.

You're welcome. Leave a donation in the rice bowl on your way back down the mountain. Ommmmm...

Thanks
    Thanked 10,371 Times in 3,981 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    Almost always, I will grind through a fill with gritted teeth, even disliking the ink. I have to absolutely despise the ink/pen combo before jettisoning the fluid.

That said, I rarely do complete fills, unless it's a tried-and-true combination.
    Because I hardly ever completely fill my pens (apart from when I use cartridges) especially when I'm reviewing an ink, I don't often have a problem of having to "grind through a fill with gritted teeth." If the fill has been in the pen for a while, the unused ink goes into an ink vial.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 237 Posts

I also don't do complete fills unless I know I will be using that pen and ink combo for a while.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,578 Times in 943 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mhosea View Post
    I don't fill any of my pens completely full. It saves me wasting so much ink.
    You know what? I've never thought of doing this. I always aim for a full fill, and then since I usually write the whole thing out, it takes FOREVER to write it dry. I'm going to have to try that.
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde