Thread: Never Ever Soak an Elysee Section

Thanks

Default Never Ever Soak an Elysee Section

This is a cross-post of a message from somewhere else. I think it might be helpful for others, but if this is not allowed, kindly remove this post.

Hi,

I got an Elysee pen with serious flow issues, so I decided to take apart the section to give it a good cleaning.

The nib came out, but the feed didn't and, feeling somewhat lazy to unpack the ultrasonic cleaner and not having time to deal with it right away, I opted to let it soak instead - by the end of the week, after whatever gunk was holding it in, should come loose and it should be possible to pull the feed out, right?

Wrong. Terribly so.

When I finally had a chance to deal with it today, the finish on the section had corroded.

I sanded it a bit, so now I know that the section is made of brass (actually, it looks more like copper, which is a rather odd choice).

Looks like I'll be doing my first experiments with applying lacquer in the near future. Would be ideal if I could remove the gold-plated hardware from the section somehow (ideas welcome), so it will be easier to sand.

Before I do anything to the pen, I'll be experimenting with black nail polish or brush-applied car paint on some brass hardware.

If anyone has suggestions, they're MORE than welcome.

In the meantime, hopefully others will benefit from another of my "new experiences."

Now feel free to poke fun at me...

alex
    Attached Images Attached Images