Thread: Esterbrook nibs

Thanks

Default Esterbrook nibs

How difficult is it to remove an esterbrook nib from the nib unit? I purchased a few pens and the feed is clogged. Can the nib and feed simply be knocked out of the unit and then replaced after a good cleaning?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

Default Re: Esterbrook nibs

The Esterbrook nib unit is comprised of the nib, feed, and a "collar".

The unit as a whole can be unscrewed from the section. There is rarely a need to disassemble the unit. To clean it up simply immerse it in a container of water and leave it overnight. In the morning you should see a very inky water and a clean nib unit, ready to be put back into the section and write on.

About the only time you need to disassemble the unit is if you want to replace the nib itself. Then knocking the nib and feed out of the collar is the way to go.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

3. The Following User Says Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

joepike16 (December 3rd, 2018)

Thanks

I have cleaned and attempted to flush out the nib and feed. However the feed seems to be clogged with some pretty thick ink substance. I did soak the nib unit for several weeks and I have ran it through several cycles in the ultrasonic cleaner with an ammonia solution. However, I am still unable to flush water through the nib unit. So in my mind the next step would be to knock the nib and feed out from the collar in order to clean the nib and feed a little more thoroughly and then replace it in the collar. Does this sound like the logical next step?

Thanks

Sounds like it might be an India Ink victim. As to removing the nib from the nib unit, depending on the type of unit it can be a bit more involved than simply knocking it out. Try, er... here for some helpful advice shared in The Other Place.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to grainweevil For This Useful Post:

joepike16 (December 4th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by joepike16 View Post
    I have cleaned and attempted to flush out the nib and feed. However the feed seems to be clogged with some pretty thick ink substance. I did soak the nib unit for several weeks and I have ran it through several cycles in the ultrasonic cleaner with an ammonia solution. However, I am still unable to flush water through the nib unit. So in my mind the next step would be to knock the nib and feed out from the collar in order to clean the nib and feed a little more thoroughly and then replace it in the collar. Does this sound like the logical next step?
    Absolutely. If I knew that you have spent weeks flushing it with water, this would be what I'd recommend also. The difficulty lies in that the collar has no good place to grip or rest on knock-out blocks, so it's almost impossible to hold the collar firm enough without destroying it. And with that hardened ink on the feed that acts like a cement, it's even harder.

Try this, put the nib unit back into the section, rest the section on your knock-out block, make sure you have a dowel that is the right size and a clear shot at the end of the feed. Tap gently and don't continue if you can't feel the feed loosening up, otherwise you'll strip the thread of the section and then you need to replace everything.
    Last edited by penwash; December 4th, 2018 at 12:28 PM.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

8. The Following User Says Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

joepike16 (December 6th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

I have managed to extract the nib after carefully applying a little heat to the plastic collar thingy holding it in. The few I've tried were in there tight.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to azkid For This Useful Post:

joepike16 (December 6th, 2018)