Thread: Quink and Cross spat?

Thanks

Default Quink and Cross spat?

A work colleague has just received a cross FP for his birthday and was asking my advice, i don't no anything about Cross.

He was told by the shop a assistant (in a department store) that cross don't recommend Quink, but other manufacturers are fine, I suspect this was just a ploy to get him to buy some Cross ink, but just wondered if anybody has had any pen/ink do's and do nots regarding different manufactures?

Ink wise I use all-sorts and not had a problem, even mixed them and still no real issues.

Senior Member Waski_the_Squirrel's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Re: Quink and Cross spat?

Until I discovered Noodler's, I used Parker Quink for years in all my pens, including a Cross fountain pen. I don't think I've ever even seen Cross ink in a bottle. Quink is actually very safe. I don't think I've ever run a post talking about it destroying a pen.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Waski_the_Squirrel For This Useful Post:

gylo (May 21st, 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Pen hygiene is important. If you maintain a clean pen, I doubt you will have problems. Some inks are harder to clean after than others but I doubt you will see issues if you flush after using up an ink fill. If you are using the same ink, I go about 3 fills before flushing but most of the time I will flush after each fill has been used up. If you are changing inks, flush before that. I just flushed two pens last night.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KrazyIvan For This Useful Post:

gylo (May 21st, 2013), Tracy Lee (May 21st, 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,021 Posts

I suspect that's just the usual salesmanship. I find Quink among the gentlest and safest inks. Cross inks are manufactured by Pelikan, so most people buy Pelikan bottled ink as it is the same ink but cheaper. Another very safe brand is Waterman. I agree with the advice that good pen hygiene is most important, but if your colleague is new to fountain pens there's no harm in starting with the old-line ink brands until he gets the hang of it.