Thread: Montblanc 146 / ink dries very matte

Thanks

Default Montblanc 146 / ink dries very matte

This may be an odd question, but: I am using a Montblanc 146 F (new) and I notice that when I write with it, the ink dries very "matte." I'm not sure if there is a better way to describe it than that, but the ink looks very dried on the page, more so than the other pens I have that use Iroshizuku ink. I am using a Montblanc ink, the Homer Greek blue. Is this something characteristic to Montblanc pens (perhaps because of the wet feed and big sweet spot) or Montblanc ink? I am not sure which is the issue, although I also used a 145 F earlier with Iroshizuku ink and it seemed to have the same matte finish. Thank you very much.

Thanks

Default Re: Montblanc 146 / ink dries very matte

Quote Originally Posted by VulcanVulcanVulcan View Post
    This may be an odd question, but: I am using a Montblanc 146 F (new) and I notice that when I write with it, the ink dries very "matte." I'm not sure if there is a better way to describe it than that, but the ink looks very dried on the page, more so than the other pens I have that use Iroshizuku ink. I am using a Montblanc ink, the Homer Greek blue. Is this something characteristic to Montblanc pens (perhaps because of the wet feed and big sweet spot) or Montblanc ink? I am not sure which is the issue, although I also used a 145 F earlier with Iroshizuku ink and it seemed to have the same matte finish. Thank you very much.
    I believe it is the ink property that gives an ink its sheen not the pen nib width.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Mags or Rob Maguire MB 149, 147, 146,144, Mozart, Boehme, Sailor Realo, Aurora Optima, Churchmen Prescriptor and Parson's Essential, Parker 51 1.3 mm stub, Parker Vacumatic 1939 OB Can, TWSBI's (540,580, Mini and Vac 700), Pelikan M 1000/800 Demonstrator 600/200 demoM/200 OBB, Visconti Rembrandts (2), Lamy, Cross, Watermans, Pilots, Sheaffer's, Omas 360 LE 84/360, GvFC, Esterbrooks J and SJ, Bexley Jitterbug, Taccia, Eversharp 1952 flex, Edison Herald, Franklin Christoph Piper.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mags For This Useful Post:

mhosea (December 30th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

I have a few inks that only sheen only in a very wet pen. Which Iroshizuku inks? I seem to recall Take-sumi usually looks sort of matte to me in the various pens I've used it with.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to azkid For This Useful Post:

mhosea (December 30th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 786 Posts

Never seen a bit of difference between the line a MB 146 lays down and any other pen of similar wetness using the same ink. A source of difference is how a pen is adjusted, any pen, producing wetter or dryer line. Another potential source of difference is mixing of inks due to inadequate cleaning when changing inks.
    --
    Mike

Thanks

My MB 146 sometimes doesn't behave with saturated inks like PR. Viscosity or thickness of the ink may be the issue. Mixed and concocted inks are equally unwelcome
    My limited exp of course.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,361 Times in 3,977 Posts

One or two of my Montblanc 146 types seem to lay down less ink than others, and that might make the ink look more "matte" on the page.

What I do is to clean out the pen really well, and use pen flush in there, then try a different ink. I have several pens that seem to perform particularly well with one ink.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens