Thread: Which font/style is this?

Thanks

Default Which font/style is this?

Hi,

I want to know which calligraphic font is this and where I can get information about strokes to create the characters...

calligraphy-font.jpg

Thank you

Thanks
    Thanked 11,015 Times in 4,003 Posts

Default Re: Which font/style is this?

I'm not certain that what is pictured is, or is not, a specific thing. However, note that fonts are used in computer word processing and printing typography, and what is done by hand, with ink and pen is referred to as a script. If you do more discussion and searching, referring to the script in the image will be helpful. It is a playful variation on italic scripts, but whether it is some person's personal style or a regularly copied one, I don't really know.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,697 Posts

A calligrapher once also corrected me when I said “font”, he said they are talking about Alphabets not fonts.

Thanks

Looks vaguely like a chancery script, albeit with no slant, written with a very broad stub

Thanks
    Thanked 1,379 Times in 586 Posts

That particular calligraphic hand may not have a name. There is a font very similar to it called Legend that was designed by Ernst Schneidler, and some calligraphers have developed hands patterned after it. It has a sort of Near Eastern flavor. The calligraphic hand you're asking about seems very close to it, particularly some of the minuscules. Some of them, though, like the a, are closer to Carolingian, which is a hand (or script) and not a font, although I imagine there must be fonts based on it. It was used in France around the time of Charlemagne.

If you want to learn how to form those letters, or at least letters very similar to them, there's a wonderful book called Written Letters: 33 Alphabets for Calligraphers by Jacqueline Svaren that breaks down each letter stroke by stroke. The copy I have I bought new back in 1990 or thereabouts (it's copyright 1986). I don't believe it's in print any longer, but affordable used copies can be found. Try the usual suspects -- abebooks.com, alibris.com, amazon.com, etc. There are a few NOS copies floating around, but the ones I found doing a quick search were pretty expensive.
    Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calamus For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (December 6th, 2018), R.A. Stewart (June 29th, 2021)

Thanks

Smile Re: Which font/style is this?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    I'm not certain that what is pictured is, or is not, a specific thing. However, note that fonts are used in computer word processing and printing typography, and what is done by hand, with ink and pen is referred to as a script. If you do more discussion and searching, referring to the script in the image will be helpful. It is a playful variation on italic scripts, but whether it is some person's personal style or a regularly copied one, I don't really know.
    I will try to remember that...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pterodactylus View Post
    A calligrapher once also corrected me when I said “font”, he said they are talking about Alphabets not fonts.
    it depends on the frame of mind you are in, how you take it - as an undue criticism or a free and helpful advice.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aquafox View Post
    Looks vaguely like a chancery script, albeit with no slant, written with a very broad stub
    that gives me new terms to research to even reach the point I am already at

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by calamus View Post
    That particular calligraphic hand may not have a name. There is a font very similar to it called Legend that was designed by Ernst Schneidler, and some calligraphers have developed hands patterned after it. It has a sort of Near Eastern flavor. The calligraphic hand you're asking about seems very close to it, particularly some of the minuscules. Some of them, though, like the a, are closer to Carolingian, which is a hand (or script) and not a font, although I imagine there must be fonts based on it. It was used in France around the time of Charlemagne.

If you want to learn how to form those letters, or at least letters very similar to them, there's a wonderful book called Written Letters: 33 Alphabets for Calligraphers by Jacqueline Svaren that breaks down each letter stroke by stroke. The copy I have I bought new back in 1990 or thereabouts (it's copyright 1986). I don't believe it's in print any longer, but affordable used copies can be found. Try the usual suspects -- abebooks.com, alibris.com, amazon.com, etc. There are a few NOS copies floating around, but the ones I found doing a quick search were pretty expensive.
    Legend and Carolingian - they both were helpful.

I found this

https://www.deviantart.com/saivaraks...abet-207924731
    It you could forward me a picture such as this, which is even closer, it would be wonderful.

and this

http://www.identifont.com/show?K08

Though none of them are exact matches but they are valuable pieces of information nonetheless. Thank you!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,379 Times in 586 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by burf View Post
    I found this

https://www.deviantart.com/saivaraks...abet-207924731
    It you could forward me a picture such as this, which is even closer, it would be wonderful.

and this

http://www.identifont.com/show?K08

Though none of them are exact matches but they are valuable pieces of information nonetheless. Thank you!
    PM sent.
    Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)

Thanks

Having had my usage of 'font' corrected previously, I believe (a guess) the illustrated 'script' is a variation of an Italic form.

Thanks

Although not very well done, it is certainly the Brush Scriptorium originally made by American calligrapher Arthur Baker.
    I upload an image of this calligraphy made by me with a Pilot Parallel Pen.

Calligraphic lover: Instagram Nomlenom
    Entering the world of fountain pens because of copperplate.
    Learn calligraphy on my channel: YouTube Nomlenom

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Nomlenom For This Useful Post:

Baisao (November 10th, 2020)

Thanks

Hi,

I want to know which calligraphic font is this and where I can get information about strokes to create the characters...

calligraphy-font.jpg

Thank you

Basically FONT = SCRIPTs.
    There's no " fonts " in calligrapher's Manuel but there are "scripts" in their manuals.
    When you practice calligraphy "you practice scripts and not fonts " It is a century old art of lettering and penmanship.
    We call it calligraphy = (from kallos beauty) + -graphia -graphy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
    Hi,

calligraphy-font.jpg

Thank you

Basically FONT = SCRIPTs.
    There's no " fonts " in calligrapher's Manuel but there are "scripts" in their manuals.
    When you practice calligraphy "you practice scripts and not fonts " It is a century old art of lettering and penmanship.
    We call it calligraphy = (from kallos beauty) + -graphia -graphy
    I was duly chastised about that very point some years ago on this very forum.