Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: When does "having a few pens" become a collection?

Thanks

Default Re: When does "having a few pens" become a collection?

My name is Richard. I am a collector.

I collect old motorbikes, old pushbikes, tweed jackets, vintage fishing tackle, vintage watches and, yes, writing instruments- fountain pens, other pens, mechanical pencils.

Sometimes I have a theme - I'm looking specifically for Parker 51 items at the moment - various colours, full sets including ballpoint and pencil. I like the original box but, as with my watches, if they exist, they go into storage and are almost never used. I like the history though.

I had a thing for Omega Seamaster's once upon a time. I've sold many, but I still have around a dozen, some dating back to the 1950's. All in perfect working order. That wasn't a cheap time in my life.

Most of my collections fall into the following category - things I like, or appreciate, or find interesting and generally want to know more about.

So, almost directionless, no real focus, not an expert by any means. I do have an almost bottomless thirst for knowledge - arcane, trivial, mechanical, historical. I love to learn.

My name is Richard and I'm a collector.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DickBrowne For This Useful Post:

amk (December 16th, 2018), Frank (December 26th, 2018), Hawk (December 18th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 Times in 562 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pterodactylus View Post
    Ok, if only technological advances count then the collections would be quite small and more or less end when Pelikan came up with the piston filler in the late 1920s.

Ok, add a cartridge pen and some technological novelties like the MB telescopic piston and the Sheaffer Snorkel in the 50s and you are done.

Nothing really new since many decades.
    Technological advancement is only one part of the pen history. During each phase of our technological development we have styled pens to reflect the aspirations of the times. Take as examples the Skyline or the Parker Falcon. They may only have incremental improvements but they were radically styled to convey a message of confidence in the technological advancement of the times.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Scrawler For This Useful Post:

azkid (December 18th, 2018), catbert (December 16th, 2018), DickBrowne (December 16th, 2018), Jon Szanto (December 16th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,067 Times in 4,019 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pterodactylus View Post
    Ok, if only technological advances count...
    No one said, or implied, that.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scrawler View Post
    Technological advancement is only one part of the pen history. During each phase of our technological development we have styled pens to reflect the aspirations of the times. Take as examples the Skyline or the Parker Falcon. They may only have incremental improvements but they were radically styled to convey a message of confidence in the technological advancement of the times.
    I've addressed this mistaken notion as well (focusing on tech only). You mention style, another important point. For instance, I've made it a point to have good examples of Sheaffer Flat-tops and then the very next generation Balance pens, so that I can show comparisons in the major change in pen styles when the rounded ends were brought into the picture. This is the kind of sourcing and acquisition that moved me away from just having a bunch of pens into having a curated bunch of pens. A collection.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

catbert (December 16th, 2018), DickBrowne (December 16th, 2018)

Thanks

It's interesting that many of the replies to this thread make a connection between collecting and a direction for a collection.

The dictionary definition, well, the overwhelming definition from many online dictionaries at least is something along the lines of "a group of people or things gathered together". (self-amusing side note, is the collective noun for collectors a collection of collectors?)

Anyway, as this is a forum to support what is, for most users, a hobby, surely any rigid rules should be waived? Some like having a direction (I only collect Lamy 2000's, in every colour and year group, or I only collect orange pens, or I will only acquire pens where a matching mechanical pencil exists, or ones which have this filling system, or... So many factors which could be applied), some like the freedom to just see something and add it to the "collection".

We've discussed collectors, we've implied enthusiasts, we've extrapolated hoarders. I'm going to add another word (to the collection?) - completist. Not a real word, but you get the idea? "Unless I have every colour of Parker 51 from 1976, my collection is incomplete".

I was once an Omega Seamaster completist, so I absolutely get this, but I wonder how many people in the world of pens would identify with this trait?

My name is Richard. I am a collector.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DickBrowne For This Useful Post:

Frank (December 26th, 2018), Jon Szanto (December 16th, 2018), Scrawler (December 16th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DickBrowne View Post
    Anyway, as this is a forum to support what is, for most users, a hobby, surely any rigid rules should be waived?
    At least from my standpoint, I'm viewing this as a discussion, nothing more. No exclusion, no rule-making. People can do or say what they wish, and I'm simply hoping for an open chat about the topic. There is no one right answer.

~ Benjamin Franklin

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

catbert (December 16th, 2018), DickBrowne (December 16th, 2018), Hawk (December 18th, 2018), penwash (December 16th, 2018)

Thanks

I agree totally John - I am genuinely interested in all of the replies and all of the standpoints. The number of different ways to view a single subject is enlightening

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 4,806 Times in 1,156 Posts

I'm going to add another word (to the collection?) - completist. Not a real word, but you get the idea? "Unless I have every colour of Parker 51 from 1976, my collection is incomplete".

I was once an Omega Seamaster completist, so I absolutely get this, but I wonder how many people in the world of pens would identify with this trait?
    https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/completist
    The more completist I become, the more I will be a collector. Still in the 'one of everything I like the look of' camp at present.

Thanks

Darn it - every time autocorrect leads me to believe I have invented a new word, it turns out that somebody else beat me to it.

I’m completely zuffled with this (!)

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DickBrowne For This Useful Post:

catbert (December 18th, 2018), Kulprit (December 18th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

Hm. Now that I think about it I guess I have been curating a collection... of iconic U.S. examples of the decades: Parker Duofold, Sheaffer Balance, Eversharp Skyline (1940s), Parker 51 and 45. I have other pens as well that aren't significant historically.

It wouldn't be hard to expand my "tour of the decades." Additional models and fill types. Short list: Sheaffer snorkel filler and Touchdown, Parker Vacuumatic (40s), Sheaffer flat top, other Balance styles, streamlined and big red Duofold examples. I'd love to get an early 20th C eyedropper, and some of the bigger brands like Swan, Conklin, Wahl, etc.

Damn. I am going to go broke now. Thanks a lot!

At least pens are cheaper than watches!

Thanks

Well, here's another way of looking at things... How about, rather than trying to collect pens which match a theme, take a good long look at your pens and see if you can spot a theme? Maybe you'll see an underlying need to collect pens from a significant decade, or made in a particular location, or potentially colours, materials, nib styles, and so on.

I think there's a collector in all of us, we just need to look hard enough!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,590 Times in 699 Posts

It occurs to me that I could be said to have a stamp collection. Mind you, they are all U.S. "forever" stamps, but that just means that the collection has focus.

Every now and then, generally when I wanted to send a letter from the road, and had forgotten to bring any stamps with me, I would buy some new ones, usually asking for something interesting. I have some unused flower, bird, and automobile stamps around, as well as some for the Battle of New Orleans, and some of the semi-generic flags and fireworks ones. Probably a few others of one sort or another.

Of course, these were all bought with the main idea of sending letters, but I mail very few of those these days. I pay most of my bills online now, and a couple in person. Most of my acquaintances would humor me if they got a letter, but wouldn't understand why I didn't just Email them. And having a "pen pal" doesn't appeal to me.

So I have probably between 100 and 200 stamps, and am likely to leave a hundred behind me.

The point of which is just that there's nothing "bad" about being called a collector, but it may not always be the most accurate term. I'm quite a bit more attached to my fountain pens than to my stamps, but I don't really think of myself as a fountain pen collector. If someone else wants to describe me that way, they would certainly have a point.

Anybody need any stamps?
    "If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly."
    G.K. Chesterton

Thanks

OK. Sometimes you have a supply. A supply of expendables. Like stamps or paper towels, etc.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,472 Times in 4,007 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kaputnik View Post
    It occurs to me that I could be said to have a stamp collection. Mind you, they are all U.S. "forever" stamps, but that just means that the collection has focus.

Every now and then, generally when I wanted to send a letter from the road, and had forgotten to bring any stamps with me, I would buy some new ones, usually asking for something interesting. I have some unused flower, bird, and automobile stamps around, as well as some for the Battle of New Orleans, and some of the semi-generic flags and fireworks ones. Probably a few others of one sort or another.

Of course, these were all bought with the main idea of sending letters, but I mail very few of those these days. I pay most of my bills online now, and a couple in person. Most of my acquaintances would humor me if they got a letter, but wouldn't understand why I didn't just Email them. And having a "pen pal" doesn't appeal to me.

So I have probably between 100 and 200 stamps, and am likely to leave a hundred behind me.

The point of which is just that there's nothing "bad" about being called a collector, but it may not always be the most accurate term. I'm quite a bit more attached to my fountain pens than to my stamps, but I don't really think of myself as a fountain pen collector. If someone else wants to describe me that way, they would certainly have a point.

Anybody need any stamps?
    I would definitely buy some from you to use while I was in the US. (Mailed to a US address of course.)
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Well, here's another way of looking at things... How about, rather than trying to collect pens which match a theme, take a good long look at your pens and see if you can spot a theme?
    Ummm... three favourite pens that are cheap, reliable and comfortable, and several more which for whatever reason didn't become favourites. That's the nearest you'll find to a theme here

Thanks

This reminds me of a bike forum where I said I toured my local area on a Sunday afternoon using my bike and was told a 30 mile ride was not touring.

To date my interest as been in finding and restoring Esterbrook pen from the 30's, 40's, and early '50's which constitute my collection to date. I am venturing into Chinese made pens like the Wing Sung 2019 601.

Thanks

I think reading or responding to a post trying to define what the difference is between a collector, user, or accumulator puts one into the group however you define it. 🤣

Thanks

I have a collection that I try to keep around 6-8. Right now I have:
    -Otto Hutt <M>
    - Otto Hutt <F>
    -PCH 912 <FA>
    -PCH 912 <Wa>
    - Nakaya <M> (expected delivery 10/2020)
    - Taccia <B>
    - Wancher <F>
    - Franklin Christoph with <Broad cursive italic>

My rules were - each one has a unique nib , purpose, or design. I slightly broke the rule to buy a second Otto Hutt (the build is amazing and comfortable). I write a lot of ink reviews so I want pens that can be used heavily. The F-C <BCI> PCH <FA> are novelty pens; (pens used to show off big ink samples but not for daily writing). The PCH 912 <Wa> is slightly too thin for ink reviews so I journal with it.
    The rest of the pens are rotated in and out. I prefer to have a healthy sample size so I don’t have to clean inks nightly.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to pocky For This Useful Post:

countrydirt (November 16th, 2019)