Thread: Sacrilege! Wing Sun 601 nib replacement

Thanks

Default Sacrilege! Wing Sun 601 nib replacement

Please forgive me, for I have sinned. I know that the Wing Sun 601 raises some eyebrows in the pen world due to it being, let's not beat around this particular bush, a complete, well, let's say "tribute" to the Parker 51.

I bought it for a good reason - I wanted an inexpensive pen to learn basic repair techniques on. Sac replacement (not that this has happened as I found out post-purchase that it doesn't have a sac like the 51!), and nib tuning. I wanted to learn the techniques on a pen which doesn't have the issues I'm trying to fix, if that makes sense? In other words, with the replacement of the sac, if it leaked post-replacement, I didn't want to be wondering if I had an inherently-leaky pen, or if it was my fix that had failed, does that make sense?

Anyway, the other thing I wanted to do was learn how to "tune" the nib of a pen to my own needs. Having learnt that the pen I chose to re-sac has no sac, did I learn anything else from my nib-tuning? Well, yes, I did. I learned that it's harder than I thought it would be.

I started with 2000-grit, then 2500, then 5000. The first pass made a small change - the nib was a little scratchy before I started, and definitely smoother afterwards, so I pressed on. And turned the nib into a needle. Too far!

Still, it's a cheap pen, so no need to worry, right? Well, in a way, I agree with you, but this is a learning experience and so I want to make it right. It's another thing to learn - I want to replace the nib!

Has anybody done this on a 601? Any tips? And where could I buy a replacement nib? I've found a supplier in Canada, but the postage is more than I paid for the pen! Will a different nib fit, or am I restricted to the "proper" one?

Thank you for any help you are able to give

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Default Re: Sacrilege! Wing Sun 601 nib replacement

Start with pens that cost $1. Oh, and you need to learn how to adjust the nib before you actually grind the nib. Tuning and grinding are not the same things. Tuning is aligning the tines and maybe doing a few passes on the micromesh, then flossing the nib to get rid of any residue. You changed the nib geometry, so that is grinding. It's probably going to be easier to just get another 601.

Ken Cavers wrote this article on nib adjustments that is really good. So, instead of reinventing the wheel, here is a link: https://kcavers.blogspot.com/2012/09...tment-101.html
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

3. The Following User Says Thank You to KrazyIvan For This Useful Post:

DickBrowne (December 13th, 2018)

Thanks

I have a whole load of Pilot V-Pens that ran out of ink. They're great for practising nib grinding on (though the nibs are pretty small) and you can even get them free since they're disposable, if you know people who use them and actually do throw them away.

Have you tried taking back the nib you've ruined to a (fine) stub? There may just be enough tipping to do that and rescue it.

Anyway, at least you didn't start on a Pelikan 1000 or MB 149. :-)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to amk For This Useful Post:

DickBrowne (December 13th, 2018)

Thanks

I’m not going to speak too soon, but I think I may have rescued this nib! I spent some time perusing the link KrazyIvan posted above, a little gentle time working on the sides of the nib and, voila! Bit the smoothest nib ever, but better than it started out and Mike’s better than after my first attempt at tuning.

Massive thanks to KrazyIvan, amk and, of course, Ken Cavers

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DickBrowne For This Useful Post:

amk (December 14th, 2018), KrazyIvan (December 14th, 2018)

Thanks

Fantastic result! Now get on to those cheapie pens and have some fun!

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

I have tuned quite a few of my own nibs, and even turned a Montblanc Boheme B nib into my own version of an Architect nib. Throughout, I've rarely used any other nib tuning equipment than what Richard Binder calls a "buff stick" in his article on nib-smoothing
    Admittedly I carefully used a very fine sanding stone for the initial grinding of the Boheme nib, but did very few passes.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

DickBrowne (January 20th, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DickBrowne View Post
    And where could I buy a replacement nib?
    They're easy to find on ebay. You'll probably have to wait a few weeks for them - they normally come in packs of 4 or more - to come from China.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ilikenails For This Useful Post:

DickBrowne (January 20th, 2019)