Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mystery Ink #23

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,697 Posts

Default Re: Mystery Ink #23

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby921 View Post
    Will you be drawing / sketching or just writing? Hidden UV reactive highlights seem like they could be quite a treat for unsuspecting viewers of your artwork.
    I think the first one will be a drawing, I still think about what it could be about......we will see....

Thanks
    Thanked 10,368 Times in 3,979 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pterodactylus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooby921 View Post
    Will you be drawing / sketching or just writing? Hidden UV reactive highlights seem like they could be quite a treat for unsuspecting viewers of your artwork.
    I think the first one will be a drawing, I still think about what it could be about......we will see....
    Good luck with that. It will be very hard to do as you won't be able to see where you have drawn a line or a mark as soon as you lift the pen from the paper. I shall look forward to seeing how you manage it.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Ok, I was wrong.

I´ve inked up MI#23 in a Pelikan M215 with an italic broad nib (own grind).
    First I tried if the ink can be washed (with respect to a later drawing).
    But MI#23 seems to be quite waterproof.
    I was not able to get it interact with the water even the ink was quite wet.
    Practically means that I will not be able to apply a wash to it in a drawing.... fine then hatching will do the job

As it was already loaded into the pen I could not withstand to write a little bit .... what could fit better than a quote from James Bond to an invisible spy ink......

Quote James Bond by Ptero Pterodactylus on DeviantArt

(Pelikan M215 - IB ..... Mystery Ink #23 provided by Scooby 921)

I found it quite hard to take a photo.
    The IR lamp made it shine really nice and bright but holding the camera and the lamp together was a bit difficult (either too bright or too dark or lightened uneven,......).

And I think I have to play with the camera settings as in the current settings (in a dark environment) it doesn´t seem to pick it up really well........
    Last edited by Pterodactylus; January 3rd, 2019 at 04:21 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Pterodactylus For This Useful Post:

Scooby921 (January 4th, 2019)

Thanks

What do you have for a UV lamp? Mine was a half meter long UV fluorescent lamp. I was able to set it on top of a couple mugs to raise it off the table and shine down onto the paper so I had free hands to work the camera.

What are you using for a camera? I brought out my Canon 5Dm3 so I had more settings to play with. IIRC the ISO was increased up to 1600 so I could get away with an f-stop around 7 for less depth of field and a shutter speed in the 1/40th range to avoid too much influence from my shaky hands.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Scooby921 For This Useful Post:

suzy01 (January 6th, 2019)

Thanks

Thanks for the hints for the camera settings, I use a Nikon D5200 (but most of the times in automatic mode).

I bought this lamp:
    https://www.amazon.de/Vansky-Schwarz...dp/B01LN74PZY/
    So it’s more a spot light.

Thanks

Hmmm...do you have any ceiling-mounted light fixtures in your home, like a chandelier above a dining table? Perhaps you can use some string (shoe laces?) and hang the UV light using its wrist strap so it's above your paper and pointing downward.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Goodness, this ink seems as complicated as Montblanc demonstrator ink!

Thanks

Shouldn't super secret spy ink be some sort of complicated? If it were easy to read it wouldn't be so good for secret notes and spying, right?

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scooby921 For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (January 5th, 2019), suzy01 (January 6th, 2019)

Thanks

I seem to have completely mislaid the twsbi go that had the ink in it (hope my daughter doesn't find it first). That'll teach me to take a pen out to my father in laws. I have a little left in the sample and I cracked out my ultrasonic cleaner for the first time yesterday to clean out some pens. It worked on one, so toddler willing, I might be able to try this out today. If not then I go back to work tomorrow but I was hoping to draw in the dark with the uv on. I'm super excited about this ink!!

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Thanks

I dug out a map I started in my sketchbook a while ago and turned it into a treasure map Teehee. I'm using my uv torch in a fairly bright room with my phone camera but hopefully I'll be able to get better pictures of anything else I do without my daughter 'helping'! I'm using my JinHao 750 cheapo pen again but I can see that this is quite a wet ink even so it doesn't fill out my letter strokes perfectly I also noticed some feathering (which I've never seen on this paper with any other ink)im wondering if it's a slow dryer and I closed the book too quickly.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to suzy01 For This Useful Post:

Scooby921 (January 6th, 2019)

Thanks

This is a 2 part mixed media piece.

The first picture shows the visible Copic marker part.

But under UV light, on the right picture the second part of the drawing become visible and shows the reason why the detector of Janine shows very high values.

The ghost is drawn with MI #23.

The invisible ink does not work on marker paper really well.
    I´ve drawn a exercise ghost on a conventional piece of paper before, and this ghost really glowed and stood out with high contrast.
    I did not tested it on my marker paper in advance and drawn Janine first.
    When I started to draw the ghost afterwards i quickly recognized that this paper isn´t right for this ink.
    First the lines glowed and stood out, but after a couple of seconds the ink was sucked into the paper and it got almost invisible (really invisible also under UV light)quickly.
    I had to redraw the lines several times to get even under UV light a barely visible ghost (which did not glowed and was only visible as darker line than the paper).

So in case you want to use such an ink, avoid marker paper.
    I assume this is because this paper is special coated to handle the alcohol markers well.

Ghostbusters - Watch out Janine Melnitz by Ptero Pterodactylus on DeviantArt

(Uni Pin Fine Line, Copic Markers, Pelikan M215 - IB .....Mystery Ink #23 provided by Scooby921)

For reference I also took a picture from my practice Ghost on regular paper.
    The difference is obvious.

Practice Ghost by Ptero Ptero

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pterodactylus For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (January 6th, 2019), Scooby921 (January 6th, 2019), suzy01 (January 6th, 2019)

Thanks

I found that when the ink was wet it was a lot brighter under the uv than when it dried too. It's so cool though, I love the ghost idea

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to suzy01 For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (January 6th, 2019), Pterodactylus (January 6th, 2019), Sailor Kenshin (January 12th, 2019), Scooby921 (January 6th, 2019)

Thanks

I suppose it's time to reveal the mystery. I don't know if it's much of a mystery. I don't know if there is more than a single brand out there who makes a UV responsive "secret" ink. Ptero actually nailed it with his first thought. Mystery Ink #23 is Noodler's Blue Ghost.

No pic of the bottle right now as I'm away from home and won't be back until the 18th.

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Scooby921 For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (January 12th, 2019), grainweevil (January 12th, 2019), junglejim (January 12th, 2019), Pterodactylus (January 12th, 2019), Sailor Kenshin (January 12th, 2019), suzy01 (January 12th, 2019)

Thanks

Thank you so much for the chance to try this ink, it's really really cool

Thanks

Thanks you very, very much Scooby for hosting so many rounds of this game and for providing us the opportunity to try many interesting inks that we otherwise never had tried.

I enjoyed of course the rounds most where I played actively, but also the rounds where I was “only” observer were really good.
    It’s just great to see so many people testing (completely unbiased) a for them unknown ink and see what they come up with and reading about their experiences and thoughts.

One final observation to the Blue Ghost.

In advance I had to say that Iˋve cleaned my M215 before loading it into the pen as I already saw its transparent nature.
    The pen was cleaned and sat in the pen drawer for a while, nevertheless I flushed it several times, screwed out the nib unit and cleaned it in the ultrasonic bath.

After a longer time (at least 10 days) loaded into my M215 I observed that my writing was not 100% invisible anymore.
    It got a slight pinkish tint (not much but observable).
    The interesting thing is that there was no pink ink in this pen right before.

Before there was Noodlerˋs Apache Sunset in this pen.
    And before that Akkerman Binnenhof Blues was loaded.
    But before that ink the pen had J.Herbin Rose Cyclamen in it... but now it comes this was more than 6 Years ago.
    I never used this pen much so Blue ghost was only the fourth ink in this pen ever.

A conclusion could be that Rose Cyclamen is a very nasty to clean out ink as it’s remaining were still there after a dark blue and after that an Orange was loaded.
    And second that Blue Ghost might be a good cleaning fluid as well

So my advice would be, if you load Blue Ghost and you want to keep it in the pen for a longer time (and you want that the ink stays completely invisible), make sure that you really, really cleaned your pen very thoroughly.

This is a fun ink and I have still quite a bit left, Iˋm sure that there will be occasions where I can use it again.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pterodactylus For This Useful Post:

azkid (January 16th, 2019), Scooby921 (January 13th, 2019), suzy01 (January 12th, 2019)

Thanks

As Ptero says, thank you Scooby, for your extreme generosity in allowing us to try out these inks. I have thoroughly enjoyed taking part and watching too.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

azkid (January 16th, 2019)

Thanks

Blue Ghost seemed most likely, but I wondered if there was an outside chance it might have been Scribal Workshop's invisible ink instead. Fun times. I've only fairly recently acquired Blue Ghost myself, and was much diverted to observe that putting it in a transparent Ahab revealed the pen was UV reactive too. Jolly good fun, but possibly not the most useful ink to acquire.

Much enjoyed the mystery inks I've followed, Scooby, albeit as an onlooker. Thank you!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pterodactylus View Post
    Thanks you very, very much Scooby for hosting so many rounds of this game and for providing us the opportunity to try many interesting inks that we otherwise never had tried.

I enjoyed of course the rounds most where I played actively, but also the rounds where I was “only” observer were really good.
    It’s just great to see so many people testing (completely unbiased) a for them unknown ink and see what they come up with and reading about their experiences and thoughts.

One final observation to the Blue Ghost.

In advance I had to say that Iˋve cleaned my M215 before loading it into the pen as I already saw its transparent nature.
    The pen was cleaned and sat in the pen drawer for a while, nevertheless I flushed it several times, screwed out the nib unit and cleaned it in the ultrasonic bath.

After a longer time (at least 10 days) loaded into my M215 I observed that my writing was not 100% invisible anymore.
    It got a slight pinkish tint (not much but observable).
    The interesting thing is that there was no pink ink in this pen right before.

Before there was Noodlerˋs Apache Sunset in this pen.
    And before that Akkerman Binnenhof Blues was loaded.
    But before that ink the pen had J.Herbin Rose Cyclamen in it... but now it comes this was more than 6 Years ago.
    I never used this pen much so Blue ghost was only the fourth ink in this pen ever.

A conclusion could be that Rose Cyclamen is a very nasty to clean out ink as it’s remaining were still there after a dark blue and after that an Orange was loaded.
    And second that Blue Ghost might be a good cleaning fluid as well

So my advice would be, if you load Blue Ghost and you want to keep it in the pen for a longer time (and you want that the ink stays completely invisible), make sure that you really, really cleaned your pen very thoroughly.

This is a fun ink and I have still quite a bit left, Iˋm sure that there will be occasions where I can use it again.
    I had a similar observation in my pen. Before MI #23 I had used the Lamy Pacific Blue in my M600. I thought I had cleaned it well, but by the time I flushed the Blue Ghost out of the pen it had picked up all of the remaining bits of blue ink from the pen. It went in yellow-ish and came out blue-ish. I suppose that means Blue Ghost is a decent cleaning fluid. It'll pick up all of your old prior ink deposits and when you're done it shouldn't affect your next ink since it's mostly invisible.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scooby921 For This Useful Post:

azkid (January 16th, 2019), suzy01 (January 13th, 2019)

Thanks

The Blue Ghost in my sample vial turned slightly more yellow while I was filling my pen. But it has completely reverted to the pale straw colour that it started out as, several weeks later. So it's actually taken some very slight remaining colour out of the pen, then made it disappear, like magic, while sitting inside the vial.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

azkid (January 16th, 2019)

Thanks

I didn't realize how late I was to post my observations (really sorry) but better late than never.

For once I don't have to blame the poor lighting in the pictures on the overhead lights in my office. Based on other pictures of the ink, I think the color shows up differently depending on the type of UV light used.

IMG_0250.jpg

MI #23 was surprisingly well behaved. I compared it to a sample of Noodler's Blue Ghost I've had laying around for a while and they looked remarkably similar (as they should). I thought there was another invisible ink on the market so I wanted to see if my sample and the MI were the same (I may be wrong about their being another invisible fountain pen ink).

Once MI dried, I couldn't see any signs of the ink without a UV light. I also held the paper up to sunlight to see if traces of the writing came through but nothing showed. If you want to use the ink to share hidden messages this is important.

I tried using MI #23 on top of Herbin EoC to see if MI #23 could be used to hide messages within another message. Unfortunately EoC is not very permanent and smeared when MI #23 was used over top (a bad thing for secret messaging).
    I then tried using MI #23 under EoC and this worked better. MI #23 is very permanent so once it dried, EoC didn't affect the writing with #23 at all. It was still hard to see what was written with #23, but at least there wasn't smearing (which kills the point of using an invisible ink). If someone wanted to use MI to hide messages under another ink I suggest using a very broad nib to write with the MI so it shows more easily under UV light (and a narrow nib or maybe a ballpoint for the observable ink).
    I wonder if there's a blue ink that would have the opposite effect of #23 and would largely disappear under UV light. This might make it easier to see a hidden message written with #23 underneath another ink. The blue ink would have to be very similar in color to UV light, so it might depend on what type of UV light you use. Unfortunately I didn't have time to experiment and find a suitable blue ink.

IMG_0251.jpgIMG_0252.jpgIMG_0254.jpg

I heard Nathan Tardif once suggest mixing Blue Ghost with other inks to protect against someone trying to wash a check. He said that even if an ink were totally washed off, that Blue Ghost would survive on the paper so I experimented a little with this.
    I first tried a small amount of #23 with a Pilot Parallel and Pilot Blank ink but the MI didn't show at all under the black light. I then used a much higher concentration of the MI with some EoC (more than 1:1) and the UV properties were still hidden. On the positive side, the MI didn't seem to dilute the color of EoC.
    I then tried wiping the EoC/MI mixture with a wet paper towel to see if #23 stayed on the paper but I don't think I washed away enough EoC to really test this (no signs of the MI showed under the UV light).

IMG_0253.jpg

A side note… Once I had the UV light I decided to see what else showed up around my house using the light. With five young kids and a dog I was afraid of finding surprises all over but to my relief there were only a few noticeable spots, not all of which were likely bodily fluids (I'm still renting a carpet cleaner this weekend). One other surprise, the UV light was incredibly effective at recharging the glow-in-the-dark stickers in my kids' bedroom. Even a very quick pass of the UV light made the stickers glow brighter than I'd ever seen before.

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mulrich For This Useful Post:

azkid (January 16th, 2019), Chrissy (January 16th, 2019), Pterodactylus (January 16th, 2019), Scooby921 (January 17th, 2019)