Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Year pen (and paraphernalia) wish list - What's yours!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

Default New Year pen (and paraphernalia) wish list - What's yours!

Okay, end of the year approaches, and there's a whole new and shiny year just ahead. Has anyone else prepared a wish list for 2019?

Here is my shortlist of vintage unobtaniums, apologies for slightly blurry photo and writing (suck a bit at both).

In more detail - 'cause the Devil's in them, amirite?

Parker 51 - really liked the double jewel version, though cost is usually prohibitive, but only with one style of cap (the fancy banded version). Had one, sold it, such is life. Failing that, I really like the deep midnight blue and gold cap combination. The main problem for me with 51s is sheer range of prices. The pens are often bulletproof, so guarantees and the like are not really a selling point (to me). However, what is a decent price? I have no real ground for reference.

Eversharp Skyline - I've actually had 3 of these (sold one, gifted two), and really loved the design. Always felt it was a fragile pen, but if that was the case they wouldn't have survived this long I guess. The version I prefer is black bodied with the green striped cap. It's lush!

Sheaffer's Crest - have never seen one in the flesh. The version with the uneven length lines on the cap is very appealing. No lever fillers, just the plunger type. No idea how to find or assess one. Similar to 51s, no idea on what is a reasonable price.

Parker Duofold - everyone should have a "big red". Frankly I would be happy with red, black or the burgundy mottled type. Had one, sold it in a moment of utter stupidity. Prices are all over the place and seem to have some connection with the size of the imprints (among other things).

Waterman's 94 - had a superb example in steel quartz (from Rick Krantz). Again, sold it for a reason that eludes...well, reason! Not looking for any flex, just really liked the design (on later reflection). Haven't seen a decent example since.

Well there you have it. It is highly debatable whether any of these are seriously acquirable, but you never know. If anyone wants to help with one or two of these next year (yeah, a tremendously long shot I know) I would appreciate it.

On the paraphernalia side I have a bit of a hankering for a Nagasawa leather pen case. Perhaps I should ask Santa for that one.
    Last edited by Empty_of_Clouds; December 12th, 2018 at 04:15 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,927 Times in 842 Posts

Default Re: New Year pen (and paraphernalia) wish list - What's yours!

I would almost echo your desire for a Big Red - an estimable pen, but the one pen I would like to get in the coming year is a Mabie Todd Swan SF230 in mottled hard rubber, though I would settle for black hard rubber if it had a fine point. I've had a few in the past but I have always sold them. It's what I do after all but this time I want to get one for myself.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

Thanks
    Thanked 3,423 Times in 1,715 Posts

Short wish list:
    Handwriting like yours.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

Robert (December 12th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

A good stretch of time off work.

Also ditto on the handwriting

6. The Following User Says Thank You to azkid For This Useful Post:

Robert (December 12th, 2018)

Thanks

Thanks for compliments on the handwriting. It's definitely improving, but still a-ways to go.

Regarding my vintage pen wish list, I don't expect really to get all of these. One or two would be an achievement!

Currently working on what will likely be an even shorter modern pen wish list. Much to think about there.

Thanks

My wish for 2019 is that I buy no more pens. Indeed, I’d love it if I could halve the number of pens I currently own.

Unfortunately, I highly doubt I’ll succeed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kulprit For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (December 13th, 2018), catbert (December 12th, 2018), Lady Onogaro (December 23rd, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 1,642 Posts

Pie In The Sky: Sailor Black Velvet
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VertOlive For This Useful Post:

Lady Onogaro (December 23rd, 2018), Sailor Kenshin (December 13th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,642 Times in 1,129 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    Regarding my vintage pen wish list, I don't expect really to get all of these. One or two would be an achievement!

Currently working on what will likely be an even shorter modern pen wish list. Much to think about there.
    Seems not entirely impossible that you might find some of them, considering you’ve had four of the five before. Lightning could strike twice. Here’s hoping.

After an extended Italian and German vintage kick, the top of my perennial wish list leans modern at present. I expect it will continue that way into 2019. If I can pull together the funds — aged mobile phone just died, which doesn’t help — perhaps a Sailor 1911 large (but which nib?) and a Pilot Custom 823 with an FA nib. Was impressed with both at the Pelikan hub. Also interested in the Karas Vertex and Conid Minimalistica. Realistically not going to be able to swing all of these.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,701 Times in 1,971 Posts

My personal wishlist seems to stay consistent from the past years.
    I'd like a pen that is unique, makes me smile when I write with it, and preferably one that I nurse back to life myself.

Two pens stood out in 2018. One is a Belmont with an original nib that rivals a dip nib in flexibility.
    The other one is a Montblanc 344G that I bought from Vasco.

And of course, continue to spread the joy by selling the pens I restored and collect the writing samples from happy buyers
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

Lady Onogaro (December 23rd, 2018), NibsForScript (December 15th, 2018)

Thanks

Alas that we will not be seeing the pens you restored now that Pen Agora is shutdown. I used to look there regularly, really enjoyed the format, but never quite had the courage to buy pens that I personally knew nothing about.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 427 Posts

Alas that we will not be seeing the pens you restored now that Pen Agora is shutdown. I used to look there regularly, really enjoyed the format, but never quite had the courage to buy pens that I personally knew nothing about.
    +1. I also enjoyed seeing all of the interesting restored pens and sketches that you put up, Will. I still use the frankenpen with the xxf nib you put together (although it's regulated to making out the daily grocery list and jotting down the occasional phone number) and it works very well with crappy recycled paper and Perle Noire.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BcnUKmtBSBz/

All the Best.
    Last edited by junglejim; December 14th, 2018 at 11:54 PM.

Thanks

Lamy 2K
    Visconti Homo Sapiens Bronze
    Montblanc 146
    Sailor 1911 Large
    Platinum 3776

Realistically, the Lamy and/or 3776 have the greatest chance of being added. Maybe a 1911 Large if I’m really lucky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Thanks, David!

The Pen Agora is closed as a market, but Redeem Pens is still alive and well on its Instagram and now Facebook Redeem Pens page that is starting to get some traction.
    Last edited by penwash; December 15th, 2018 at 09:10 AM.
    - Will

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by junglejim View Post
    +1. I also enjoyed seeing all of the interesting restored pens and sketches that you put up, Will. I still use the frankenpen with the xxf nib you put together (although it's regulated to making out the daily grocery list and jotting down the occasional phone number) and it works very well with crappy recycled paper and Perle Noire.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BcnUKmtBSBz/

All the Best.
    Thanks Jim, please visit the Redeem Pens facebook and instagram if you feel like it.

See, this is what makes my heart glad. That the pens I restore is valued by the new owner and used in whatever role.
    - Will

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

I have not purchased any pen related items in a year. No pens, no paper, no inks. I still have plenty to review. If I could buy one pen, I think it would be a Lamy Aion.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

21. The Following User Says Thank You to KrazyIvan For This Useful Post:

Lady Onogaro (December 23rd, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 237 Posts

I want a red mottled hard rubber pen. I keep watching them come and go on eBay - I suspect the price I'm willing to pay is just too low for the market, but you never know.

I just got one of the things that would have been on my list, assuming it makes its way through the mail safely to me! A second hand Pelikan M1000. I was not expecting to find that last week! (I would prefer not-black, but like my M805, black seems to be easier to find). There are other Pelikans on my list - I love the current special editions, but again, the price makes me hesitate when I could buy umpty vintage Pelikans instead!

I want some different nibs to put in my PenBBS pens - maybe FPR?

A Regalia nib - that'll take some luck!

(I should however write with more of my recent acquisitions before buying anything else... It has been a good year for pens, for me).

Thanks

I have a similar desire for a really nice ebonite pen, but whether that will be vintage or modern is a tough call. Penwash had one or two nice woodgrain versions on Pen Agora that I missed out on (in the vintage bracket), and in the modern arena I have been looking at Eboya (though the nibs are somewhat generic from what I hear).

With Pelikans I would be tempted by a Shanghai M620 (if I could ever find one), as it has personal associations, not a major desire though.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Voiren View Post
    I want a red mottled hard rubber pen. I keep watching them come and go on eBay - I suspect the price I'm willing to pay is just too low for the market, but you never know.

I just got one of the things that would have been on my list, assuming it makes its way through the mail safely to me! A second hand Pelikan M1000. I was not expecting to find that last week! (I would prefer not-black, but like my M805, black seems to be easier to find). There are other Pelikans on my list - I love the current special editions, but again, the price makes me hesitate when I could buy umpty vintage Pelikans instead!

I want some different nibs to put in my PenBBS pens - maybe FPR?

A Regalia nib - that'll take some luck!

(I should however write with more of my recent acquisitions before buying anything else... It has been a good year for pens, for me).
    I have a similar desire for a really nice ebonite pen, but whether that will be vintage or modern is a tough call. Penwash had one or two nice woodgrain versions on Pen Agora that I missed out on (in the vintage bracket), and in the modern arena I have been looking at Eboya (though the nibs are somewhat generic from what I hear).

With Pelikans I would be tempted by a Shanghai M620 (if I could ever find one), as it has personal associations, not a major desire though.
    One of my favorite pens is a modern "red" ebonite pens. It's an Edison Pearl with a bulb filling system and ink window. The "red" material is more of a rusty terracotta color. It is also a reason the original owner traded it to me for a few pens. He did not like the rusty color and thought it would have been a more deep red.

I liked it so much I had someone make me a barrel of the same ebonite for my Lamy Safari.

Last edited by KrazyIvan; December 17th, 2018 at 02:41 PM.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KrazyIvan For This Useful Post:

catbert (December 17th, 2018), jodylud (December 27th, 2018), Wuddus (December 22nd, 2018)

Thanks

Heh! Not a favoured pen for me (have given away all I had), but that is still a neat idea for a Safari.

The Edison looks nice too, but US pen makers are a no-go zone for me so I have to look further afield.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

KrazyIvan (December 17th, 2018)

Thanks

I'm wishing for Aurora to produce something interesting for their centenary in 2019. Pilot's 100 years offerings this year are very expensive and not really my cup of tea, and Platinum's (they share the 1919 birth year with Aurora) look kinda meh from the leak I've seen. Aside from that, maybe a Nakaya desk pen? That's about it for the big ticket wishlist items.