Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Blue black ink

Thanks

Default Re: Blue black ink

Quote Originally Posted by The Good Captain View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spideysgirl View Post
    I'm on the hunt for a blue black ink.
    1. Does Noodlers make bullet proof blue black?
    2. Please recommend some for me to sample.
    Yes they do but it's called 54th Massachusetts. Their Blue-Black & Air Corps Blue Black are on the green side and aren' strictlyspeaking bullet-proof.
    If you can get hold of Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black from Europe or the UK, then that is an outstanding ink, possibly my all-time favourite, and has just a little iron-gall to make it interesting without any serious issues.
    I had no idea 54th was it. I have a bottle. I just saved myself some money.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Spideysgirl For This Useful Post:

azkid (December 15th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spideysgirl View Post
    I just saved myself some money.
    Saving someone money?! This forum is clearly an abject failure and all members should feel ashamed. Everyone go and buy several bottles of ink right now, to make up for it!

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to grainweevil For This Useful Post:

azkid (December 15th, 2018), junglejim (December 13th, 2018), Kulprit (December 13th, 2018), SchaumburgSwan (December 13th, 2018)

Thanks

IG:

Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black. I LOVE this ink.
    Platinum Blue-Black (brighter, lighter, dustier)
    MB old formula if you happen into one.

Non-IG:

Pilot Blue-Black (not really blue black but whatever)
    Sailor Blue-Black (have no idea what more folks don't like this. rich, complex lovely)
    Pelikan Edelstein Tanzanite

Budget:
    Duke
    Sheaffer

Avoid: The unholy number of inks called "blue-black" that are just shitty looking teals. ack.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 1,642 Posts

Not bullet proof, but my favorite after a long search for the perfect "Ink of Crow":

Kyo No Oto's No. 1 Nurebairo
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

Thanks

I mostly use Platinum Blue-Black. Honestly, I don’t really care for how blue it is, but it is the “wettest”-feeling IG BB I’ve used so I keep using it.

Salix looks great going down, but it has a very dry feel and I’m not a huge fan of the dusky gray it becomes once dry.

I love Noodler’s Air-Corp Blue-Black, but I don’t believe it to be waterproof. And there’s certainly nothing “blue” about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Lamy blue black is reasonably priced and is pretty water resistant. It is probably worth a try.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whych View Post
    Lamy blue black is reasonably priced and is pretty water resistant. It is probably worth a try.
    I've not tried the 'current' formulation but the earlier (original?) one was iron gall. I've still almost three bottles left and it's lovely. I do prefer the 4001 to it, though.
    The Good Captain
    (Gaston F Limoges)
    "Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Thanks

I am sure I read somewhere they took out the iron gall several years ago.
    As far as preference goes, both are good water resistant inks and similar in colour in a wet pen.
    In a drier pen the Lamy shows more blue.

I mentioned Lamy as opposed to Pelikan B/B because the guys in the States may find it easier and cheaper to get the Lamy B/B than Pelikan.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,385 Times in 587 Posts

I believe 4001 still has IG in it. I've seen it on eBay recently, but not on any US retailer websites.
    Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by calamus View Post
    I believe 4001 still has IG in it. I've seen it on eBay recently, but not on any US retailer websites.
    Pelikan have refuse to comment whether it does or doesn't still have IG in it. Same with Lamy.
    There must be something about IG in inks that made them stop listing it as an ingredient. Perhaps it is the reputation it as for corroding non gold nibs.
    strangely, I have bought many old (50's and 60s) German pens with steel nibs that were probably only fed Pelikan blue black and, after washing out the B/B ink from years gone by, have had now problems with either pen or nib.

Like I said, I threw Lamy into the mix of inks because Pelikan is not easy to find in US.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

You guys need to stock up on this to put these iron gall or not? disputes to rest: https://www.preservationequipment.co...rips-P539-3000

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,697 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    You guys need to stock up on this to put these iron gall or not? disputes to rest: https://www.preservationequipment.co...rips-P539-3000
    Hmmmm, well it detects iron ions, but what is missing is to detect the amount of iron ions in a ink.
    That way we could use it as quality test to check if the manufacturers put enough of the good stuff into our valued IG inks or they cheated us adding too less of it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whych View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by calamus View Post
    Pelikan have refuse to comment whether it does or doesn't still have IG in it. Same with Lamy.
    There must be something about IG in inks that made them stop listing it as an ingredient. Perhaps it is the reputation it as for corroding non gold nibs.
    strangely, I have bought many old (50's and 60s) German pens with steel nibs that were probably only fed Pelikan blue black and, after washing out the B/B ink from years gone by, have had now problems with either pen or nib.

Like I said, I threw Lamy into the mix of inks because Pelikan is not easy to find in US.
    This is not true, Pelikan states clearly on their web site that Pelikan 4001 Blue Black is an Iron Gall ink.

You can find the information on their page describing their document proof inks:
    https://www.pelikan.com/pulse/Pulsar...ntechte-tinten

For those who can’t read German a summary.
    They explain their 3 document proof inks.
    Scriptol (not FP suitable) and Fount India (less carbon black therefor FP suitable) are based on carbon black.
    Pelikan 4001 Blue Black is an Iron Gall ink but contain IG only in a safe potion for writing device and paper.
    This gives Blue Black a much better long term stability than the other 4001 colors.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,361 Times in 3,977 Posts

The Pelikan web-site automatically comes up in English when I visit it.

This is their page regarding document inks
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pterodactylus View Post
    Forget the Noodler’s writing fluids, I would recommend ESS Registrars Blue-Black, one of my all time favorites, might even be my number 1 all time favorite ink.

Water proof, top notch behavior,.
    The behaviour isn't quite "top notch": it dries out on nibs faster than most inks, for a start.

More importantly, is it a blue-black? It goes on blue, yes. But from the sample I used, it can turn entirely black.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kulprit View Post
    I mostly use Platinum Blue-Black. Honestly, I don’t really care for how blue it is, but it is the “wettest”-feeling IG BB I’ve used so I keep using it.
    Then I really don't want to imagine what the others were like.

Pilot Blue Black is on the borderline with royal blue. (I think some people add some extra Pilot black?) It's not an IG, but it is damn tough and it behaves well on everything. And the flow is vastly better than Platinum BB.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ilikenails View Post
    Forget the Noodler’s writing fluids, I would recommend ESS Registrars Blue-Black, one of my all time favorites, might even be my number 1 all time favorite ink.

The behaviour isn't quite "top notch": it dries out on nibs faster than most inks, for a start.

More importantly, is it a blue-black? It goes on blue, yes. But from the sample I used, it can turn entirely black.
    In my experience I canˋt confirm neither your first nor your second point.

This ink starts imho always immediate and confident I never had a dry out / hard start problem with any of my pens.
    And as said it sits in my Serwex at least 5 years continuously, basically without cleaning and quite long periods between use, and the cheap Serwex with its click on cap is for sure not a sealing wonder.

You can look up several writing samples I‘ve made over the years (here or on my Flickr account), imo it is an awesome shading ink, from blue/blue-Grey to very very dark shades (next to black but if looked up closely always with a blue tint.... this is what I would expect from a blue-black), especially using a flex nib with a good generous flow, but entirely black? ... not in my experience.
    Last edited by Pterodactylus; December 19th, 2018 at 03:26 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ilikenails View Post

In my experience I canˋt confirm neither your first nor your second point.

This ink starts imho always immediate and confident I never had a dry out / hard start problem with any of my pens.
    That doesn't necessarily mean that the ink is "top notch", just that you're being careful about recapping. Sandy1 at fpn is the best ink reviewer on the Internet - she tests for EVERYTHING, with multiple pens and papers - and she certainly found that ESSRI is more than usually prone to drying out. "Top notch" and "tolerable" are two different things. ESSRI is well behaved for an IG ink, but it's no Waterman's Serenity or Pilot Blue Black. It's definitely a usable ink - exceptional for an IG in all ways and well generally very behaved - but top notch, no. Compared to PBB - which is a benchmark for superb performance in every way (except friendliness to sack fillers) it dries out on the nib fast and the writing experience is much less smooth.

entirely black? ... not in my experience.
    That's how my sample vial, delivered just over a week ago, behaved. And certainly other people have had problems with it losing too much blue, because there are a stack of recipes online for making it reasonably blue. (Just as PBB is on the borderline of not being black enough to claim to be a blue black.)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Sometimes it's like trying to argue whether or not blue is a pretty color, and then demanding proof.

Thanks

This early am went into me eight car garage and there was that darn invisible unicorn..Again!

Don't believe me ..........................

Prove me wrong...........................

Fred..who at the present time is lookin' at the NYCity skyline and ejoyin' a hot cup of joe.............

Step right in. Truth is here. Step right in and see.

She will fill your thoughts, invade your dreams.

See naked truth with your own eyes................Carnival Barker..................