Thread: Pilot fountain pens with Waverly nib

Thanks

Default Pilot fountain pens with Waverly nib

I’ve been looking to acquire a Pilot fountain pen with a Waverly nib. I see that, on eBay and other sites at least, that I can get a 742 or a 743 with a WA nib, but to get a 823 WA I would have to purchase from Tokyo Pen Shop Quill. Does this mean that the WA nibs for 742/743 come directly from Pilot? In other words, not a modification by a third party. And why does the 823 not have WA as a direct-from-manufacturer option when it’s the same #15 nib (and I believe the same shape and dimensions) as the 743?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Default Re: Pilot fountain pens with Waverly nib

Look into the Pilot 912 for a WA nib.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KrazyIvan For This Useful Post:

baselworld (December 13th, 2018), gylyf (December 14th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyIvan View Post
    Look into the Pilot 912 for a WA nib.
    Thanks. Do you know if there is a difference between the WA nibs done by Pilot directly versus the WA nibs done by a third party like the Tokyo Quill Shop?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,385 Times in 587 Posts

Tokyo Quill shop's Waverley nib is almost certainly not a third party nib. You can get a lot of Pilot and Sailor (and I'd assume Platinum as well) pen/nib combinations directly from Japan that aren't available from US sellers. Also body colors.
    Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calamus For This Useful Post:

jmccarty3 (December 13th, 2018), KrazyIvan (December 12th, 2018)

Thanks

I believe that TPQ either has a line on buying stand-alone nibs from Pilot or, far more likely, they’re simply doing what stationers have done for more than a century: they’re taking the nibs off of other pens. You want an 843 with a WA nib? They’ll simply take one off a 743 and put it on. You want an 845 with an FA? They’ll do the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kulprit View Post
    I believe that TPQ either has a line on buying stand-alone nibs from Pilot or, far more likely, they’re simply doing what stationers have done for more than a century: they’re taking the nibs off of other pens. You want an 843 with a WA nib? They’ll simply take one off a 743 and put it on. You want an 845 with an FA? They’ll do the same.

Okay, so there's no difference between the TPQ and Pilot WA nibs. Thank you.

Thanks

Hi! I can give some good advice on this matter...

I owned a Pilot Custom 912 WA and it was amazing. I sold it to buy an 823 WA from Tokyo Pen Shop Quill (which is, indeed, absolutely amazing.)

The WA from Tokyo Pen Shop Quill is indeed the same WA you would get from a Custom 743. I was very happy with my TPSQ order and I definitely recommend them!

That said - I have two other Custom 823s which I swapped nibs into myself: PO and FA. These are also great, but very different from the WA obviously. (The PO is actually the opposite!)

I believe the WA is basically a Pilot FM nib with a slight upturn at the tip. It's not a massive difference or a super exotic nib -- but that upturn does change the writing experience. It's very smooth and works particularly well on paper that other nibs might catch on. But it works well on normal paper, too.

The nib is smooth but not overly smooth. It's just right, basically. I recommend it in either pen. Both pens are a win! The 743 has a slightly larger nib than the 912, and the 823 has the vac filling system so you can write for days and days with that massive quantity of ink.

Good luck! Enjoy your WA.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to JunkyardSam For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (April 11th, 2019)

Thanks

I have a Pilot 912 with a Waverly nib which I find, as a lefty underwriter, to be a very smooth and delightful writing experience. The slight up-bend in the nib puts more tipping material on the page and makes for a particularly smooth pushed upstroke, which is about half of my handwriting. I agree with JunkyardSam that it is approximately a Japanese FM line width. Others have noted you can vary the line width by changing the angle of the pen off the page, but I haven't found much variation in that approach, which is generally a pretty awkward way to write.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BDarchitect For This Useful Post:

Esoterica1693 (June 26th, 2019)

Thanks

Please note the 912 nibs are all number 10 and the 743 and the 823 are size 15 nibs and are NOT interchangeable.

The way business in Japan works is that companies respect unique relationships with different suppliers and retailers. As the result many different shops have unique products where each of the pen companies are willing and happy to create. It's partly the unique way business relationships are run, and it's also partly the extremely competitive nature of retail in Japan. That's the reason why Bungbox has their specials, Kobe has their specials, Maruzen has their specials, and Tokyo Quill Shop has their specials. You get the idea.

Thanks

As another lefty underwriter I am really looking forward to the Waverly nib PILOT CH 912 which will hopefully arrive in a week or two from PenSachi. I love Pilot nibs in general. I experienced a sort of Waverly like nib on a PenBBS nib which is what inspired me to look for a real one.