Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you keep the original box and packaging of your pens?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,933 Times in 1,950 Posts

Default Re: Do you keep the original box and packaging of your pens?

Even if you don't keep your old pen boxes for the pens that came in them, in the interest of recycling, they can still come in useful if you sell things (like pens) on ebay, or if you send pens as gifts to others.

Many years ago, before I ever owned a Montblanc pen of any type, my OH placed a BIC ballpoint in one of my nice pen boxes and, as a little joke, wrote about a famous white topped mountain on the outside of the packaging. He gave it to me on Christmas morning. The little joke backfired in a way because it spurred me on to sell almost all of my pens on ebay, and use the money to buy my first Montblanc Meisterstück ballpoint pen. I never looked back and regularly sell off some pens and inks in order to buy others.

Now I'm getting older, I still sell off pens and inks, but I tend to not replace them so much. When I'm no longer around I hope that all of my pens (and maybe even some of their original boxes) will be loved by others as much as they have been loved by me.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Blog: inkyfountainpens

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

dfo (December 20th, 2018), Marsilius (December 19th, 2018), Pterodactylus (December 19th, 2018)

Thanks

I keep everything. Fortunately, most of my vintage pens came without boxes or papers.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to catbert For This Useful Post:

Marsilius (December 19th, 2018)

Thanks

I keep everything. Even the original boxes of my shoes...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,203 Times in 585 Posts

I have a fairly large box of boxes that have come my way in lot purchases over the years, which sometimes enable me to match a vintage pen with the appropriate box. I keep the boxes for all the new pens that I buy, knowing that one day I will feel it is time to pass them on. Much nicer for the new recipient to find them in the original packaging. There's the odd occasion when a buyer will ask for the pen to be sent without boxes to save on postage cost.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog
    My Pen Sales

Thanks

It depends on two things; quality and how fancy the packaging is or whether I think I’ll sell the pen. The biggest package I have had was to the Rockwell Duofold. It was a small leather suitcase that had the pen and a folio of Rockwell pen ads. Probably 2’ x 1’ x 8”.

As for regular pens, again back to the top of it is a forever pen then no.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Be Here Now

Thanks
    Thanked 2,959 Times in 1,255 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Titivillus View Post
    It depends on two things; quality and how fancy the packaging is or whether I think I’ll sell the pen....
    Do you recall the glass box of that Tibaldi fountain pen and ink bottle? That had to be the biggest PITA packaging dreamt up by a modern pen company (perhaps tied with Conway Stewart's triple giant box within a box within a box).

Thanks

I have a mint BCHR Wahl #2 with box and papers. I only paid $20 bucks for it, which is about what i would have paid for the pen. I would have kept on walking had the seller been asking for a premium. The market for dinky BCHR ringtops with #2 nibs isn’t that strong. It’s just a cardboard box and a slip of paper. The only thing interesting about it is that there was a ribbon on the box. I don’t know if the ribbon came from the jewelry shop that sold the pen out Wahl.

In general, i prefer to buy pens without boxes. I will pay nothing extra for box and papers. They add almost nothing to my enjoyment of a pen but take up precious space.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    It depends on two things; quality and how fancy the packaging is or whether I think I’ll sell the pen....
    Do you recall the glass box of that Tibaldi fountain pen and ink bottle? That had to be the biggest PITA packaging dreamt up by a modern pen company (perhaps tied with Conway Stewart's triple giant box within a box within a box).
    Yes ! After I pressed reply I remembered the glass box... with the die cut pieces of cardboard and inherent fear of dropping!!

hope the pen is still working great for you. That is one pen on my “regret selling” but at the time it was the only way to find some other purchases...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Be Here Now

Thanks

Yes ! After I pressed reply I remembered the glass box... with the die cut pieces of cardboard and inherent fear of dropping!! hope the pen is still working great for you. That is one pen on my “regret selling” but at the time it was the only way to find some other purchases....
    No, long gone. It was awfully pretty to look at, but as a writer it was just "okay" so I sold it to buy a vintage something-or-other. The glass box made it a bear to resell online and ship, but I put it on my table at a pen show and it was snapped up.

Thanks

The outer box of the Churchill is the perfect size for holding paper. I've long got rid of the threee Churchills but still have the green outer boxes that now hold paper and other bits!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    It took a while, but I found a photo of a Tibaldi Iride with its glass box, though the supporting cardboard and purple ink are gone. Clearly (pun intended), this would be a keeper box to enhance the pen's resale value, but I was unwilling to ship mine because I feared the glass panels' joints would not survive no matter how it was packed.