Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which pens don’t count?

Thanks

Default Re: Which pens don’t count?

Seems overly scrupulous to leave out a pen that works. Nibs? Depends on how you define a pen. Each separate nib has the potential possibility of becoming a pen. Black is white, up is down. Use the new math. Say it often enough and maybe someone will believe.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,786 Times in 1,154 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pajaro View Post
    Seems overly scrupulous to leave out a pen that works.
    Hadn't previously considered my method of counting unscrupulous but clearly it is.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 1,647 Posts

This begs the question "What's a 'cheapie'?" For me, those are the odd pens bought off ebay for under $ 10. I have one of those that I'll eventually give away.

I count everything else from the Delta Dolce Vita to the Wancai Moonman.
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by calamus View Post
    Where I have trouble counting my fountain pens is when I look at my Osmiroid and my Platinum calligraphy pens. Each has one barrel, one cap and four nibs, each with its own section. So is each one one pen or four? Or some number in between? Each set makes four different pens, but one at a time. It seems to me, off the top of my head, that my Osmiroid set should somehow count numerically higher than, say, my Esterbrook or my Sailor, but I'm not sure of that, or how too figure it out. I suppose I could say that an assembled Osmiroid calligraphy fountain pen would have four parts: the cap, the nib section, the converter, and the barrel. I have two converters for the Osmiroid, so if each part is a fourth of a fountain pen, I have 1/4 (the cap) + 4/4 (the nib sections) + 2/4 (the converters) +1/4 (the barrel) = 8/4 = 2 fountain pens.

Still doesn't seem right, though.

Oh well..
    I count my Parker set with three sections as one pen. There's only one body, and one cap, so I cannot assemble more than one pen with it at any time.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,642 Times in 665 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SaoDavi View Post
    No pens that aren't "real" pens. I don't know what constitutes a "real pen", but I know it when I see it.
    What came to mind reading this was when some family give you the gift of a deer antler with a bic refill shoved up into it that is apparently glued in.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to KBeezie For This Useful Post:

ceebert (August 31st, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,394 Times in 588 Posts

Taking the title of this thread literally, the answer seems easy enough to me: ball point pens!
    Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

I count pens that are usable/repairable. If a pen just needs a sac or diaphragm, it counts. If it is broken and I don't have parts to fix it, such is the case of a Waterman Taperight with a totally disintegrated barrel but I have the section and cap, it doesn't count. Some cheapy pens I feel guilty for counting but others I don't. I feel odd counting a Guanlemming 2001 but I have no problem counting some Jinhao 992's. Why is that?
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyIvan View Post
    I count pens that are usable/repairable. If a pen just needs a sac or diaphragm, it counts. If it is broken and I don't have parts to fix it, such is the case of a Waterman Taperight with a totally disintegrated barrel but I have the section and cap, it doesn't count. Some cheapy pens I feel guilty for counting but others I don't. I feel odd counting a Guanlemming 2001 but I have no problem counting some Jinhao 992's. Why is that?
    Might it be for the same reason that Google thinks no such beast exists?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Maybe because I don't know how to spell but it is also a little-known pen. Guanleming 2001. It's viewable until January 8 at this Flickr link: https://flic.kr/s/aHsjzkmyXa
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wuddus View Post
    Where I have trouble counting my fountain pens is when I look at my Osmiroid and my Platinum calligraphy pens. Each has one barrel, one cap and four nibs, each with its own section. So is each one one pen or four? Or some number in between? Each set makes four different pens, but one at a time. It seems to me, off the top of my head, that my Osmiroid set should somehow count numerically higher than, say, my Esterbrook or my Sailor, but I'm not sure of that, or how too figure it out. I suppose I could say that an assembled Osmiroid calligraphy fountain pen would have four parts: the cap, the nib section, the converter, and the barrel. I have two converters for the Osmiroid, so if each part is a fourth of a fountain pen, I have 1/4 (the cap) + 4/4 (the nib sections) + 2/4 (the converters) +1/4 (the barrel) = 8/4 = 2 fountain pens.

Oh well..
    I count my Parker set with three sections as one pen. There's only one body, and one cap, so I cannot assemble more than one pen with it at any time.
    You're right of course, and my Osmiroid and my Platignum would have to count as one each as well if I looked at them that way. BUT -- I have a Manuscript calligraphy pen with one nib/section and a Manuscript calligraphy pen with three nib/sections, and it just doesn't seem right that they should count equally.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,472 Times in 1,741 Posts

Maybe because I don't know how to spell but it is also a little-known pen. Guanleming 2001. It's viewable until January 8 at this Flickr link: https://flic.kr/s/aHsjzkmyXa
    Cute little pen. I have one. I only count it if it's loaded.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks

Taking the title of this thread literally, the answer seems easy enough to me: ball point pens!
    They count ... but separately.

Thanks

Pens I don't like, pens you don't like.

Thanks

Last time I counted was over 10 years ago . I had more than 200 then so I stopped counting .

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pajaro View Post
    Pens I don't like, pens you don't like.
    I still count those. Sometimes preferences change. Or, if not, I've learned something.

Thanks

The pens bought the month before

I have found this helps with the guilt that comes with spending more on pens than rent.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wuddus View Post

Oh well..
    You're right of course, and my Osmiroid and my Platignum would have to count as one each as well if I looked at them that way. BUT -- I have a Manuscript calligraphy pen with one nib/section and a Manuscript calligraphy pen with three nib/sections, and it just doesn't seem right that they should count equally.
    So that's two Manuscripts pens, plus a couple of interchangeable nib units. I have a Parker Vector set with three nib units, but if I picked up another Parker with no additional parts, that would still be only two Parker pens to my mind.

Thanks

Kaweco Sports in plastic don’t count, but metal ones do. The nibs interchange so easily that I don’t identify one pen to one nib, and Classic Sports come out of the pile only for eyedropper-ing.
    (eyedropper...) So, yeah, okay... the Coconut Frosted Sport counts... but no black ones!