Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which pens don’t count?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,654 Times in 1,132 Posts

Default Which pens don’t count?

A question prompted by something Wuddus wrote in another thread. https://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread...l=1#post254660

When you count your pens (if you count your pens), do they all contribute to the total size of your collection/accumulation/big ol’ pile o’ pens or do you leave some out — and if so, which and why?

I used not to count duplicates, 'spares', colour variants, nib variants, etc. Now, all complete fountain pens count, functional or not, unless explicitly bought for parts or to give away, mostly because the previous method of counting did very little to reduce the total (which was the aim, if I am honest) and was confusing. Writing instruments other than fountain pens still get counted separately, though.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to catbert For This Useful Post:

dfo (September 1st, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

Default Re: Which pens don’t count?

Isn't that just a distinction between how many pens and how many types of pen?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

dfo (September 1st, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    Isn't that just a distinction between how many pens and how many types of pen?
    Now I get to say I don't understand.

I mean which fountain pens don't get counted for whatever reason — e.g. I used to exclude arbitrarily defined 'duplicates', Wuddus seems not to count unused pens.

Yes, I count other types of pens separately, but that's another question.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

My point could easily apply within just fountain pens. So, as you noted yourself, are you counting fountain pens or types (models, colours, other groupings) of fountain pens. I think that's basically what you are alluding to in the first post, but I may be mistaken (and often have been!).

Thanks

Yup, counting individual pens. It's basically one of each model, so grouping doesn't really make sense. But I wondered if others count differently when considering where they're at.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 556 Posts

I've often mentioned how I don't count the cheapies (Platinum Preppies, Pilot Kakunos, and the like).

And then I have Users and Mementos (and some pens travel back and forth between these categories). And then there are those I intend to sell. I count only the Users and Mementos, and the current total is fewer than 40.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,427 Times in 1,716 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ethernautrix View Post
    I've often mentioned how I don't count the cheapies (Platinum Preppies, Pilot Kakunos, and the like).

And then I have Users and Mementos (and some pens travel back and forth between these categories). And then there are those I intend to sell. I count only the Users and Mementos, and the current total is fewer than 40.
    I don't count the always-loaded Preppies and Petits either. Which is a relief!
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

I don't count the ones that are in the repair / parts box. I have some cheapies coming which I will count if they write properly. Edit: and I'm planning to gift them to potential converts
    Last edited by azkid; December 18th, 2018 at 08:55 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 Times in 562 Posts

I don't count the small pile of cheapie Chinese give-away pens, or the "to be repaired" box.

Thanks

I don't count the cheapies. I don't count the spares. I don't count the box of 20 Rotring Artpen spare sections and I don't even count the Artpens, except for the Limited Edition versions. I don't count ballpoints or rollers (except the Carene and Jean Pierre Lepine), I don't count Pilot Parallels or marker pens. I don't count the Indian and Chinese cheapies (Wing Sun, Camay, Scout) for playing at nib grinds on.

I count everything else, if I can find it :-)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

Ah easy answer for me: I don't count pen parts,
    or parts of a pen,
    or parts that may someday become a pen,
    or parts that probably won't become a pen, but I just keep it because I think it's neat
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

14. The Following User Says Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

catbert (December 18th, 2018)

Thanks

I don't count my pens at all, but if the madness should come upon me there are a lot of excellent examples of how not to count a fair number of them here.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to grainweevil For This Useful Post:

manoeuver (December 18th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 695 Posts

I have a list of my fountain pens, but it's not a numbered list. It does have prices, and a total at the bottom, as well as a column for country of origin. As far as I know, they're all in there, including broken ones that have never been fixed. Well, maybe not the Pilot Varsities, or the BIC disposable fountain pens that I recall once having.

Come to think of it, since it's a Numbers spreadsheet, it could become a numbered list with a click or two to display the row numbers. Subtract a row for the headers, and there you go. Wow.

Since dip pens are kind of related, at least in my mind, I may as well mention that I have no list of dip pens or their holders. Nor any other writing instruments.

One area where certain pens don't count (in my mind) is with inked pens. The Varsities don't count there, and although I've refilled a couple in the past, it's likely that I won't bother again. And I don't count the one Esterbrook Dip-Less that is still inked. So right now, I have ink in five pens. That count.
    "If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly."
    G.K. Chesterton

Thanks

It depends on what I’m counting. If we’re talking about the number of pens I own, then yes, everything gets counted. If, however, we’re talking about my prohibition on new acquisitions, then anything under $20 “doesn’t count”.

Actually, I need to amend that first statement. I recently bought a couple dozen Varsities to give to coworkers as stocking stuffers and I’ve got a few left over. I don’t/won’t count those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,642 Times in 665 Posts

I guess there's only one I ever say that with, it does get used, but when stating what I have, I almost always leave out the Platinum Preppy 05 that sits on my desk, eye dropper filled with Noodler's Kung Te-Cheng.

Dunno why, I just don't really feel like it's something I include really for the regular rotation.

Thanks

As I appear to have inspired this thread, I guess I've already answered.

If I take every single pen I own, for the sake of this thread, it can be broken down as follows:

Regular use fountain pens (3)
    Duplicates of the regular use pens (5 +3 +0, respectively)
    Pens I got along the way but don't use anymore (4? Not sure)
    Dip pen (1)
    Pens that don't use bottled ink (dozens, not gonna count 'em)

The answer given, then depends on the question asked...

Q: Do you use fountain pens, Wuddus? How many?
    A: Three

Q: How many do you own?
    A: Seven or eight, not counting a few spares in a drawer

Q: Why so many, why not get rid of some?
    A: They're not worth selling, I'm not going to throw away something that works, and posting them on to someone would cost more in postage than the pen is worth. Want one?

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Wuddus For This Useful Post:

catbert (December 22nd, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,386 Times in 587 Posts

Where I have trouble counting my fountain pens is when I look at my Osmiroid and my Platinum calligraphy pens. Each has one barrel, one cap and four nibs, each with its own section. So is each one one pen or four? Or some number in between? Each set makes four different pens, but one at a time. It seems to me, off the top of my head, that my Osmiroid set should somehow count numerically higher than, say, my Esterbrook or my Sailor, but I'm not sure of that, or how too figure it out. I suppose I could say that an assembled Osmiroid calligraphy fountain pen would have four parts: the cap, the nib section, the converter, and the barrel. I have two converters for the Osmiroid, so if each part is a fourth of a fountain pen, I have 1/4 (the cap) + 4/4 (the nib sections) + 2/4 (the converters) +1/4 (the barrel) = 8/4 = 2 fountain pens.

Still doesn't seem right, though.

Oh well..
    Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,427 Times in 1,716 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by calamus View Post
    Where I have trouble counting my fountain pens is when I look at my Osmiroid and my Platinum calligraphy pens. Each has one barrel, one cap and four nibs, each with its own section. So is each one one pen or four? Or some number in between? Each set makes four different pens, but one at a time. It seems to me, off the top of my head, that my Osmiroid set should somehow count numerically higher than, say, my Esterbrook or my Sailor, but I'm not sure of that, or how too figure it out. I suppose I could say that an assembled Osmiroid calligraphy fountain pen would have four parts: the cap, the nib section, the converter, and the barrel. I have two converters for the Osmiroid, so if each part is a fourth of a fountain pen, I have 1/4 (the cap) + 4/4 (the nib sections) + 2/4 (the converters) +1/4 (the barrel) = 8/4 = 2 fountain pens.

Still doesn't seem right, though.

Oh well..
    My head just kerploded.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 237 Posts

I wouldn't typically count the Jinhao/Hero/Baoer pens I've never inked. (I count the ones that have been). I don't count to-be-repaired or for parts, unless I'm doing so explicitly.

If I give a number I've probably forgotten about at least five pens that are lurking somewhere. I might also forget about the Osmiroids as they live in a different box. (For Osmiroids I count the pen bodies not the nibs - I have extra nibs for some other pens too).

I may or may not count pens that are in transit...

Thanks

No cheapie pens.

No disposables.

No inherited pens or the like.

No pens that aren't "real" pens. I don't know what constitutes a "real pen", but I know it when I see it.