Thread: Swapping Parker Sonnet RB and FP sections

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Default Swapping Parker Sonnet RB and FP sections

I think there was a thread a while ago where we discussed whether a Parker Sonnet RB could be converted into a FP, and it was decided that it could be done by removing a spacer in the cap.

However, I would like to consider when you have a single ring FP section and a double ring RB section. Are the actual sections both exactly the same to start with? So can the RB end be unscrewed from the section and a FP nib unit screwed in?
    Last edited by Chrissy; December 19th, 2018 at 11:04 AM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Default Re: Swapping Parker Sonnet RB and FP sections

I could not remove it. It might be permanently cemented, or it might have been attached using a threadlocker like Locktite. Some of these release with heat. There is a spring in the barrel of some of these that keeps the refill in place. Good luck.
    Last edited by pajaro; December 19th, 2018 at 04:34 PM.

Thanks

Good question.

About 8 years ago I wondered the same thing.

Was puzzled why it was not possible.

I actually sawed a Sonnet Rollerball’s upper shell ( barrel ) in half to look at why a FP unit with a standard ink converter would not fit.

The answer is that there is a plastic insert ( to work with the RB refill ) that has been epoxy resined to the end of shell.

Never tried to remove it but I am sure it is possible with the right solvents.

A RB will convert to FP if you wish to cut down the end of the ink converter or use mini cartridges

4. The Following User Says Thank You to proteus For This Useful Post:

BayesianPrior (February 26th, 2019)

Thanks

Some of the rollerballs have a spring in the barrel, some a solid insert. The spring is easily removed by pulling it out with the right tool. The solid thing can be reduced by a drill. I used a wood drill to get one out of a Sheaffer Prelude. The knob on the converter usually conceals the spiral screw that moves the piston back and forth. Cutting has to be careful.

Given that the Sonnet dries out pretty quickly, I think that, for my use, I am better off with the rollerball. For the Sonnet fountain pens, if you fill the pen every day you use it, the filling will soak the nib and feed and keep the pen moist for a while. This moving ink through the nib and feed is not a bad thing, even if it is a small inconvenience.

Thanks

I've fixed the drying out issue in both of my Sonnet FP's by using an epoxy resin mixed with black pigment around the cap discs. I have a spare one ring section, but if I bought a RB to fit it into, I would want a version that traditionally came with a two ring section.
    When the sections were originally made, I assume they all started off the same before they were designated to become RB's or FP's.

Thanks

Before I spent the money for one of the deluxe rollerballs with the two ring section, I would buy a cheaper rollerball, or even just a cheap rollerball section, and perfect the method of removing the rollerball part on something less costly. If Parker used one of the thread lockers like Locktite, it might take enough heat to release the hold that you might overheat the target section and melt it. Or some other damage might happen and you could learn how to avoid it on something cheaper. If this works, I might modify my Lacque Ambre roller.
    Last edited by pajaro; December 20th, 2018 at 11:10 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to pajaro For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (December 20th, 2018)

Thanks

I did pry off the cap jewel on s Sonnet and epoxy that underlying area and pop the jewel back on. Solved problem of drying out. OMG it's WONDERFUL!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to pajaro For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (December 20th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pajaro View Post
    I did pry off the cap jewel on s Sonnet and epoxy that underlying area and pop the jewel back on. Solved problem of drying out. OMG it's WONDERFUL!
    Yes, mine are too. Lovely

Thanks

Before I spent the money for one of the deluxe rollerballs with the two ring section, I would buy a cheaper rollerball, or even just a cheap rollerball section, and perfect the method of removing the rollerball part on something less costly. If Parker used one of the thread lockers like Locktite, it might take enough heat to release the hold that you might overheat the target section and melt it. Or some other damage might happen and you could learn how to avoid it on something cheaper. If this works, I might modify my Lacque Ambre roller.
    I gave it some thought and asked the question because I have seen a section available at a reasonable price. If the RB fitting can be removed in a similar way to removing a nib and feed, and there is a screw thread inside for the FP feed, then it might work. At least if I started on a section rather than a complete RB, I wouldn't feel as guilty if I broke it.

Thanks

The rollerball part might release with heat. Note also that the cap jewel on a rollerball has concentric circles where the fountain pen cap jewel is plain.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to pajaro For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (December 21st, 2018)

Thanks

The rollerball part might release with heat. Note also that the cap jewel on a rollerball has concentric circles where the fountain pen cap jewel is plain.
    Thanks for that. I now remember it from a previous discussion about swapping RB parts for FP parts.

Thanks

Some photography of the lower shells of a Sonnet FP & RB.

They may assist.
    Last edited by proteus; December 22nd, 2018 at 12:46 PM.

Thanks

Thank you for the pictures proteus. It's clear that the sections aren't interchangeable as it's not just a case of unscrewing the RB part. The RB section would be missing a FP type liner.

Thanks

It was too good to be true. On most pens you have to change out the section. And then I usually go and buy a barrel and cap and make another rollerball.

Thanks

If you get the two gold band section, you should use the two-toned old style nib to make it correct, as I think you are aiming for.

Thanks

If you get the two gold band section, you should use the two-toned old style nib to make it correct, as I think you are aiming for.
    Yes that is what I would aim for.

Recently, at an auction I had the chance to handle many brand new, unused, Parker pens including several Sonnets. The RB section and the FP section were easy enough to swap without needing to remove anything from the cap belonging to the RB. Sadly, I didn't win the Sonnet that I wanted as it went for more than I was prepared to pay.
    I think that buying a RB plus 2-band nib unit will make the complete FP as expensive as it would be to buy it as a FP to start with.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Yes that is what I would aim for.

Recently, at an auction I had the chance to handle many brand new, unused, Parker pens including several Sonnets. The RB section and the FP section were easy enough to swap without needing to remove anything from the cap belonging to the RB. Sadly, I didn't win the Sonnet that I wanted as it went for more than I was prepared to pay.
    I think that buying a RB plus 2-band nib unit will make the complete FP as expensive as it would be to buy it as a FP to start with.
    Yes, the sections are hard to find and expensive. I think the rollerballs are pretty expensive as well, and the Lacque Ambre RB I have wasn't cheap. Sometimes I just swap in an ordinary section from a fountain pen and use it that way.

I am glad to know Sonnets have some resale potential. Years ago this was one hunt I enjoyed as much as the hunt for 51s.

Thanks

The one I wanted happened to be an Indigo, and was the only one in that colour. You would be amazed if you looked in the catalogue of all of those pens. There were pages and pages of Duofold Centennials and Internationals, 5 or 6 Mandarin Yellows and a Mandarin figure himself plus others that I have forgotten. It was a sale of two collections almost all of which were brand new.

It might still be online if you wanted to PM me and I can find the link for it.