Thread: Lamy Accent Gold Nibbed, Lacquered Version)

Thanks

Default Lamy Accent Gold Nibbed, Lacquered Version)

As there's no previous threads to append too, please find a link below to my review. Before it let me précis.

Appearance & Design
    The pen looks thin, like a Logo, but the grip does give it some width making the pen feel wider than it is. The lacquer work is uniform and well done, covering all bar the bottom of the barrel, where the cap will post. The grip section is warm and comforting to hold, being briar wood (on the outside). Visually it is smart and does hint at luxury.

The grip can be swapped and there are around a half dozen options available. Another luxury one (which comes with the alternate lacquered pen) and a number of plastic and wooden options.

Construction & Quality
    The build quality is good and the pen feels solid, however the lacquer is not urushi and I'm not sure how tough it really is. I managed to scratch the cap finial, but how I'm not sure.

Weight & Dimensions
    The pen is thin, think Lamy Logo, however the grip adds an extra millimetre, which does not sound much but is noticeable in the hand. The balance point sits right in the middle of the grip, unless the cap is posted, at which point it moves to the mid point of the pen, so a very good design in this respect. Weight wise, the pen is on the lighter side.

Nib & Performance
    The lacquered version of the pen comes with the Lamy gold nib. I have always been a fan of these much underrated nibs, which unlike their steel brethren are soft and springy, as well as on the wet side.

Filling System & Maintenance
    The filling system is the Lamy's propriety cartridge and convertor. The pen comes with both. It's a good reliable system.

Cost & Value
    This is a difficult call to make. The normal version, with a steel nib and an aluminium barrel, is £55 in the UK. The lacquered version with gold nib (in this form and with an alternative lacquered and metal ringed grip) is £180, so £125 more. The head will point out the grip is about £18 more than the cheaper version, the nib, £85, and £22 for lacquering the pen is good value, however with the pen being over three times the cost of the base model and also being more than gold nibbed special edition Scala pens as well as the Lamy 2000, the heart tells me this could be considered an expensive choice.

Conclusion
    I still can't make up my mind on this pen. I like it, it is nice to use, comfortable and warm to hold, but at the same time it does not grab me and unless I'm forcing myself to use it there are other pens I'll grab without thinking. I suspect the same confusion would be caused by the base model as it sits in the same price band as so many other Lamy models such as the Logo, Studio, Scala, Aion, ....

The full review is here.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dapprman For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (December 22nd, 2018), carlos.q (December 21st, 2018), Chrissy (December 21st, 2018), NibsForScript (December 22nd, 2018)

Thanks

Default Re: Lamy Accent Gold Nibbed, Lacquered Version)

Nice review and great pics. You've pinpointed what I love about this pen; the fact that the section has that extra millimetre just makes it so much more comfortable.

Like you I'm not sure about the price; I managed to get mine second hand.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,361 Times in 3,977 Posts

Thank you for the review. The price would be the deal breaker for me.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks
    Thanked 1,578 Times in 943 Posts

I have one of these I had bought second hand for about $60, but it was a inconsistent writer. Then I took it to a pen show, and had it worked on. So now it writes very wetly and consistently.

The bad thing about the fix is that the person who worked on it could not get the feed back into the pen completely. And he couldn't get it out of the section once he had tried to push it back in. So now it hangs out of the section slightly. I didn't notice this until I got it back. He didn't charge me for the repair, and it writes well, but I sure wish it would write well with the feed placed into the section completely and correctly.

Anyone have an idea of who might be able to fix this?
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

Thanks
    Thanked 10,361 Times in 3,977 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Onogaro View Post
    I have one of these I had bought second hand for about $60, but it was a inconsistent writer. Then I took it to a pen show, and had it worked on. So now it writes very wetly and consistently.

The bad thing about the fix is that the person who worked on it could not get the feed back into the pen completely. And he couldn't get it out of the section once he had tried to push it back in. So now it hangs out of the section slightly. I didn't notice this until I got it back. He didn't charge me for the repair, and it writes well, but I sure wish it would write well with the feed placed into the section completely and correctly.

Anyone have an idea of who might be able to fix this?
    I wouldn't be able to live with this problem either. I bet Lamy would do it for you. I've always found them very amenable in the past. It might be worth asking them at least. They can only say no.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks
    Thanked 1,578 Times in 943 Posts

Hi, Chrissy,

I will try that after the holidays. Maybe they can help.
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dapprman View Post
    The head will point out the grip is about £18 more than the cheaper version, the nib, £85, and £22 for lacquering the pen is good value
    Given that Baoer sell pens with faultless lacquering for $3 and that you can buy a gold nibbed Platinum PTL5000 for £60 in the UK - that's the price of the complete pen, not a nib upgrade - my head wouldn't agree, I'm afraid. The 5000 seems to be otherwise the same as a Platinum Balance, which suggests a "fair" nib upgrade price of £30. The wooden grip should be even cheaper - an automatic lathe will just spit them out - and that sort of lacquering would be a simple spray-and-cure. (It's because urushi is expensive to put on that it isn't widely used.)

Or another way of looking at this is that the cost of the gold in a typical 14K nib is around $10-20. Gold alloys will be easier if anything to stamp into shape than steel and I can't see a reason why any part of the tipping process should be more expensive. In fact it can't be, give the low extra cost of most gold-nibbed Pilots, Sailors and Platinums in Japan.

That's not to say that the pen isn't worth the extra cost - it's normal for overall packages to sell for more than the cost of their parts - but if you feel that way, because the pen has that extra aesthetic value, that's definitely a heart thing, not a head one!
    Last edited by ilikenails; December 27th, 2018 at 09:33 AM.