Thread: Eyedropper Pen Threads

Thanks

Default Eyedropper Pen Threads

What do you use on the threads of your eyedropper pens. I got 3 eyedropper pens with some bottles of ink and I don't want to place a order for just a tin of silicone grease from goulet. So is there something I can get from a home improvement store or some other store that works just like the silicone grease goulet sells.

Thanks
    Mreeveshp

Thanks
    Mreeveshp

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 10,467 Times in 4,006 Posts

Default Re: Eyedropper Pen Threads

You might get some silicone grease on Amazon or maybe at a divers store.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

I use Nikonos silicon grease, which has worked well. I have a good bit of it left over from my u/w photography days.

Thanks

Home Depot has some

Thanks

I just remembered I have a bunch of automotive grease in the garage. Now I just have to see if any of it is silicone based and if I don't my neighbor is a mechanic and paints cars so he might. So would that be an option.

Also how often should it be applied.

I am also thinking of giving away the 3 Charlie pens in a PIF and thought it would be nice to add a small vial of different colors of ink and grease for them. So that's another reason I'm looking into it, kind of make it a whole starter kit care package. 2 Charlie's are a finer nib and one is medium which I put baystate blue in so its stained. But the fine nibs I have one with Nikita and one with habanaro. And I figure I would put an extra vial of black. Just something I'm thinking of doing since someone did kind of the same thing for me when I was first getting into fountain pens.

I do like having the Charlie's as a pocket carry something I don't have to worry about scratching but it's not like I truly need them so I don't know what I'm going to do yet.

Thanks
    Mreeveshp

Thanks

Needs 100% pure silicone grease. Bought some McNett from a dive shop, and it's great. There is no other substitutes to it as far as I know.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aquafox View Post
    Needs 100% pure silicone grease. Bought some McNett from a dive shop, and it's great. There is no other substitutes to it as far as I know.
    Sadly I have no dive shops around me the closest is an hour and a half and the closest I get to that is my Dr or my pipe/cigar shop that's only slightly less than an hour away. And my truck drinks to much diesel to drive that much out of my way for such a cheap item. So I really want to try to find something at a home improvement store.

My neighbor uses some silicone grease on parts of his paint sprayers and I'm also going to look at some of my gun greases to see what they are made of cause I know at least one has silicone.

And I really don't want to place an order for such a cheap item and pay more in shipping than the item itself
    So like I said if there is something at a home improvement store that would be perfect.

Thanks
    Mreeveshp

Thanks
    Thanked 6,426 Times in 2,518 Posts

$5 from Main Street Pens, described as follows:

Pure, unadulterated silicone grease. Designed to be used on rubber and synthetic rubber 0-rings and seals. This is a lower viscosity grease, i.e. it's stiffer than the stuff from scuba shops, and is more resistant to washing off than some others on the market, and silicone oil. That means it's less likely to get into the ink or feed. You'll find it on my shop bench and on the table at pen shows. You use it on anything that needs to be lubricated on fountain pens like Sheaffer touchdown tubes, plunger rods, Pelikan piston seals, mechanisms etc..... Net wt. 9.5 grams.

You'll spend more money and time hunting for or driving around looking for the right stuff.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (January 2nd, 2019)

Thanks

If you're set on finding something at Home Depot, make sure you get the 100% pure silicone grease. The other ingredients in it, such as synthetic stuff, will damage your pen, especially rubber parts. Gun grease (firearms grease, I presume?) contains graphite, therefore unsuitable.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,467 Times in 4,006 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    $5 from Main Street Pens, described as follows:

Pure, unadulterated silicone grease. Designed to be used on rubber and synthetic rubber 0-rings and seals. This is a lower viscosity grease, i.e. it's stiffer than the stuff from scuba shops, and is more resistant to washing off than some others on the market, and silicone oil. That means it's less likely to get into the ink or feed. You'll find it on my shop bench and on the table at pen shows. You use it on anything that needs to be lubricated on fountain pens like Sheaffer touchdown tubes, plunger rods, Pelikan piston seals, mechanisms etc..... Net wt. 9.5 grams.

You'll spend more money and time hunting for or driving around looking for the right stuff.
    This is the one that I use and have found it thicker and easier to use than previous small pots that I bought. If OP does decide to go 100% safe and buy via mail order, then this is the one to go for.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Though, I wonder: is it possible to buy liquid silicone grease, like the one TWSBI provides with their pens, anywhere?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,697 Posts

I use OKS 1110 Multi Silicone Grease since years.

It is also food save, I use it also to grease the O-rings and sealings in my coffee machine.

https://www.oks-germany.com/en/produ...licone-grease/
    Last edited by Pterodactylus; January 2nd, 2019 at 03:54 AM.

Thanks

You *should* be able to find 100% silicone grease in the plumbers aisle of your local home improvement/hardware store. That’s where I buy mine. There’s nothing magical or rarified about it, as long as it’s 100%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Lowes has it. Looking at the small container of it now...