Thread: Your Incowrimo expectations

Thanks

Default Your Incowrimo expectations

With February a month away, am curious to know what your expectations of Incowrimo will be. If you've taken part before, did you meet or succeed the expectations you had?....

Thanks
    Thanked 10,336 Times in 3,966 Posts

Default Re: Your Incowrimo expectations

I expected to send at least one letter or card each day, and in 2018 I achieved that.

I'm planning on trying again this year, but it depends how many people I can think of to send something to.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Morgaine (January 2nd, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,578 Times in 943 Posts

It seems that something always throws me off track. So I will be back to my perfectly imperfect record, I suppose.
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 1,642 Posts

Officially signed up.
    As I'd mentioned in the other thread, my desk is cleared. I expect to take part and, barring some calamity, I expect to send a letter or more each day! And InCo has always been a real joy.
    Last edited by VertOlive; January 3rd, 2019 at 11:22 PM.
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

6. The Following User Says Thank You to VertOlive For This Useful Post:

ThriveToScribe (January 30th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 237 Posts

Well, I signed up. I expect I will probably miss a day or two somewhere along the line but will see how it goes!

I think I may need to create a list of possible topics in advance. I'm going to see if anyone I know wants to give me their address so I can write to some known people too.

Thanks

I have trouble finding my way around the InCo site. Is there a way to put up a profile or read others' profile as a means of knowing to whom I'm writing?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Voiren View Post
    Well, I signed up. I expect I will probably miss a day or two somewhere along the line but will see how it goes!

I think I may need to create a list of possible topics in advance.
    Voiren, you can be the topic of an intro letter to a stranger. Just write a bit about yourself and your world. It is always fascinating to meet new people this way!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 237 Posts

I meant a bit more specific than that! Me in general might do for one letter, but I don't want to write the same one to umpteen people! Things like a book I read recently, a show I went to see, a game I played, the place my grandfather lived... (I'm not so good at anecdotes, but if I can think of any).

If I have a list, I can keep track of what I have and haven't written about (and to whom), and also try to avoid blank page syndrome

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Voiren For This Useful Post:

VertOlive (January 5th, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Voiren View Post
    I meant a bit more specific than that! Me in general might do for one letter, but I don't want to write the same one to umpteen people! Things like a book I read recently, a show I went to see, a game I played, the place my grandfather lived... (I'm not so good at anecdotes, but if I can think of any).

If I have a list, I can keep track of what I have and haven't written about (and to whom), and also try to avoid blank page syndrome
    Sounds like you might enjoy the Five Questions on my forum!!!

Thanks

I started with LetterMo and a year later with InCoWriMo way back when. I don't think I had an expectations but I will admit that some of the letters/cards I received were a little disappointing. For those familiar with Postcrossing, some of the messages received were the equivalent of only "Happy Postcrossing" although there was no requirement to write more, nothing to hook you for further correspondence. I know not every missive through the February letter writing projects will yield lifelong correspondence.

I intend to write letters daily, and will pick a few new victims to inflict correspondence on.
    Last edited by Morgaine; January 9th, 2019 at 06:44 AM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Morgaine For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Coming back to this, I wonder if some people put their addresses up to get mail rather than write letters themselves. The odds of receiving letters just on that can be low. Over 1000 I think have signed up on InCoWriMo-2019.

The other thing is - what do they want letters to achieve? Some might be just looking for that one-off connection whereas others may want longer lasting correspondence (I want this more than one-off correspondence). I do intend to reply to every missive I receive, but others might not feel like doing this.

Thanks

Chiming in with some random thoughts. It's interesting to me that I get far less letters now that I live in Texas as opposed to Michigan. That said, I replied to everyone last year except for the person who sent me a postcard with a sticker on it saying "Happy InCo 2018!" with no return address. Maybe that was the one day the person was rushed and every other day had sent out a full letter.

Then there was the single half sheet telling me what pen and ink they used and that I was number 18 on their InCo list. I actually sent a reply as best I could but never heard from that one again...

Very few of my InCo's have become regular pen pals. I'm sure they wouldn't even have written had they read my profile, which is why I wish we could post profiles; not everyone wants to write to someone in a funeral home...In Texas.
    Last edited by VertOlive; January 30th, 2019 at 09:07 PM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to VertOlive For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Wait a minute! You are saying someone has a sticker printed to that they didn't have to write anything at all?
    I thought the postcard I got that someone had handwritten only "Happy InCoWriMo" was kind of pointless, but the sticker goes even farther.

Thanks

On an instagram post I made, I asked what makes a good penpal letter... what makes one special... One of the answers I translate as, any mail is better than nothing..

A handwritten letter or card is special in it's own. Someone committed time and attention to write you. It takes more thought to sit down and write the message than to type a text or email.
    However, other comments were more useful, genuine. It matters what is written too...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ted A View Post
    Wait a minute! You are saying someone has a sticker printed to that they didn't have to write anything at all?
    I thought the postcard I got that someone had handwritten only "Happy InCoWriMo" was kind of pointless, but the sticker goes even farther.
    Yep, looked like it came off a page of printable Avery labels. I'm guessing it was a Post Crossing person who wasn't so clear on the InCo idea.
    Last edited by VertOlive; January 26th, 2020 at 02:24 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Morgaine View Post
    Coming back to this, I wonder if some people put their addresses up to get mail rather than write letters themselves. The odds of receiving letters just on that can be low. Over 1000 I think have signed up on InCoWriMo-2019.
    One woman from InCoWriMo 2018 replied she was just into getting the mail, not writing to other people. She lived in an exotic (to me) locale so perhaps enjoyed lots of attention. About eleven people in my city put their addresses on, so I was elated to receive mail initiated by other people; I learned in December one of them turns out to be a fellow member of the local fountain pen club.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgaine View Post
    The other thing is - what do they want letters to achieve? Some might be just looking for that one-off connection whereas others may want longer lasting correspondence (I want this more than one-off correspondence). I do intend to reply to every missive I receive, but others might not feel like doing this.
    I'm passive about InCoWriMo 2019. I'm catching up on belated correspondence this month. Each year of my InCoWriMo participation I've collected a year-round friend and I'll be writing to them. My address didn't stay on either InCoWriMo website, so whoever writes will be someone I likely owe correspondence to, or has similarly lapsed.
    Reactivated penthusiast
    I write letters year-round: http://postable.com/christinao