Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pilot Blue Black vs. Pelikan 4001 Blue Black

Thanks

Default Pilot Blue Black vs. Pelikan 4001 Blue Black

Pilot Blue Black vs. Pelikan 4001 Blue Black. Which do you prefer, and why? Differences between them as far as behavior and cleaning? Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 11,040 Times in 4,011 Posts

Default Re: Pilot Blue Black vs. Pelikan 4001 Blue Black

Well, for starters, there's the fact that you can get a 'coke' bottle of Pilot B/B from Amazon for about $22.00. Not a small bottle, but 350ml. I like the ink and use it all the time and got that big bottle because that has become the ink that goes in pens that I'm repairing and testing, and I don't feel like it is so costly if ink gets lost in the process.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Well, Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black is probably my all-time favourite ink.I've always had a pen inked up with it and never have any issues. Admitted, as it gets a bit older in the bottle, it loses some of its 'blueness' but I think that's one of its quirks. I do have the Pilot but haven't used it as much.
    As it happens, I'm awaiting delivery of a bottle of Platinum Blue-Black which like the 4001 is reported to have IG content. We'll see!
    The Good Captain
    (Gaston F Limoges)
    "Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

For colour and equivalent waterproofness my vote goes to Pilot Blue Black. Isn't Pelikan 4001 Blue Black tricky to buy within the US?
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,697 Posts

I also like Pelikan Blue-Black very much, a very well behaving, great looking all time classic ink, proven its qualities since many decades.

Ad Chrissy, it depends on which side of the big water you are located if it‘s easy to get or not In this case I‘m located on the right side and this ink is available almost everywhere.

I do not own Pilot Blue-Black therefore I can’t say anything about it

......wait I can tell something about it.....it‘s not available here almost everywhere

Thanks
    Thanked 1,818 Times in 797 Posts

Both are great inks but in my experience you have to be careful what pen you use them in. Pilot BB is a wet ink that will feather with my vintage Pelikan nibs. Pelikan 4001 is great for taming these vintage gushers. If you have a dry nib go for the Pilot.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to carlos.q For This Useful Post:

calamus (January 5th, 2019), ceebert (July 23rd, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,386 Times in 587 Posts

I haven't ordered any because I already have more than a lifetime supply of ink, and I have Blue-Black Pilot-Namiki ink that I'm very happy with, but I see the Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black on eBay all the time. Right now there's a 30ml bottle available from Germany for $9.40, and free shipping:
    https://www.ebay.com/i/323576099887?chn=ps
    Last edited by calamus; January 5th, 2019 at 01:04 PM.
    Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    For colour and equivalent waterproofness my vote goes to Pilot Blue Black. Isn't Pelikan 4001 Blue Black tricky to buy within the US?
    Not hard to get, but the import version lacks the waterproofness due to an arcane issue with ingredient listing or some nonsense. The US version is, therefore, not as good (IMHO). However, it is easy enough to source Pel B/B from overseas that it isn't much of an issue.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by carlos.q View Post
    Both are great inks but in my experience you have to be careful what pen you use them in. Pilot BB is a wet ink that will feather with my vintage Pelikan nibs. Pelikan 4001 is great for taming these vintage gushers. If you have a dry nib go for the Pilot.
    Pilot is more of a standard flow ink that works well in a range of pens. 4001 is dry. If a nib doesn't get on well with Pilot BB, it's a slightly unusual one.
    Last edited by ilikenails; January 6th, 2019 at 04:09 PM.

Thanks

Pilot BB is my go to ink. It shades, it sheens when wet, it behaves well and cleans easily.

Sent from my SCV36 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Sammyo; January 7th, 2019 at 02:05 AM.
    Sam O

"A fountain pen with a bad nib is like a Ferrari with a flat tyre..." - Brian Gray, Edison pens

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Not hard to get, but the import version lacks the waterproofness due to an arcane issue with ingredient listing or some nonsense. The US version is, therefore, not as good (IMHO). However, it is easy enough to source Pel B/B from overseas that it isn't much of an issue.
    Per Vanness Pens, there is no US version of Pelikan B/B and any bottle found for sale was brought over from Europe. It is therefore the same ink.

An ingredient in the B/B is apparently not allowed for use in the States and Pelikan refused to change their formulation (good for them).

13. The Following User Says Thank You to AzJon For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (January 7th, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AzJon View Post
    Per Vanness Pens, there is no US version of Pelikan B/B and any bottle found for sale was brought over from Europe. It is therefore the same ink.
    Aha - this is news to me.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Aha - this is news to me.
    I have a trip planned to Germany in a few months and fully intend on finding a 1 liter bottle to bring home...assuming the B/B comes in 1L bottles...

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

I have a trip planned to Germany in a few months and fully intend on finding a 1 liter bottle to bring home...assuming the B/B comes in 1L bottles...
    Keep airline security restrictions in mind.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Keep airline security restrictions in mind.
    It would go in my checked bags with the wine. Worst case scenario, the gate guard has an encyclopedic knowledge of customs laws and realizes that I can't bring fountain pen ink into the country and confiscates it. But I have the feeling that none of them will even know what a fountain pen is, so there's that. Pop it into my checked bag and away we go!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

... Pop it into my checked bag and away we go!
    Pack it with your dark clothing.

Thanks

I thought these images of some soak tests of the two inks, plus another few stalwarts for comparison, wouldn't go amiss. The usul pretty awful paper but between rinses under running water, I left the piece soaking for 45 minutes instead of the usual 30.

This is before:
    platinum blue-black_0001.jpg

And after:
    platinum blue-black_0002.jpg

I was surprised at the behaviour of the J Herbin Bleu Nuit - I'd forgotten these properties!
    The Good Captain
    (Gaston F Limoges)
    "Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

20. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to The Good Captain For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (January 8th, 2019), azkid (January 17th, 2019), Brgphilly (January 8th, 2019), carlos.q (January 8th, 2019), catbert (January 8th, 2019), KKay (January 17th, 2019), Pterodactylus (January 8th, 2019), sospiro (January 9th, 2019)

Thanks

I’ve wanted to try Pilot BB for a while, but since it’s not officially imported into the US in bottle form, no one sells samples. The only way to try it is to either buy an entire bottle or buy a box of cartridges.

For some reason I’ll buy pens sight unseen, but not ink. I suppose that’s because it’s more practical to flip a “once-inked” pen than a “once-inked” bottle of ink.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kulprit View Post
    I’ve wanted to try Pilot BB for a while, but since it’s not officially imported into the US in bottle form, no one sells samples. The only way to try it is to either buy an entire bottle or buy a box of cartridges.

For some reason I’ll buy pens sight unseen, but not ink. I suppose that’s because it’s more practical to flip a “once-inked” pen than a “once-inked” bottle of ink.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    PM me. I bought one of the 'coke' bottles of the Pilot b/b and I'd be happy to send you a sample in CONUS.

~ Benjamin Franklin

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

NumberSix (January 12th, 2021)

Thanks

As said above Pilot is very cheap (I have the 350ml bottle too) and very blue.
    Pelikan is a great ink but if you let it dry in a pen, patricularly in a piston filler, it is quite a pain...
    Also while Pilot is quite wet, Pelikan is very dry.