Thread: Fountain Pen "Hobby" Comfort Zone...?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,067 Times in 4,019 Posts

Default Re: Fountain Pen "Hobby" Comfort Zone...?

As I think about it, my feelings toward my pens (and similar objects) is quite probably formed in line with my life's passion: music. I have amassed a very large collection of percussion (and other) instruments that I use in service of the art. Certainly I exercise caution with some of them, due to fragility, rarity and sheer irreplaceability. A valued pair of glockenspiel mallets, gifted to me by a mentor, date back to the 1920s and nothing I've found, including mallets made all the way up to today, give me a sound like those. I thought I had lost them once, for a period of about two years, until once I was on a gig and one of the other fellows said "are these yours?". I had loaned them, and I've not loaned them since.

Long story short: yes, I do think about which pens go into harm's way with me. I find the situation immensely aided by decent quality beater pens or a handful of Chinese ink-spreaders. I do not feel efete or dainty when I tend to keep most of my good pens in my studio at home; in fact, it makes sense since that is where I do most of my writing. I like to look at these writing instruments as friends and I treat them as well as they treat me. I don't think of it as precious, I just think I'm being respectful.

Addendum: Some of my favorite pens - to eye and for task - are 80, 90 years old. I am silently grateful to the original owners who took good care of them. Had they been treated in a cavailer manner I wouldn't have the enjoyment of use and ability to appreciate them to this day. All the more reason for me to care for them, as well.
    Last edited by Jon Szanto; January 10th, 2019 at 02:38 PM.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (January 11th, 2019), AzJon (January 11th, 2019), Chrissy (January 11th, 2019), gbryal (January 10th, 2019), NibsForScript (January 16th, 2019), penwash (January 10th, 2019), Pterodactylus (January 10th, 2019), Sailor Kenshin (January 10th, 2019), VertOlive (January 10th, 2019)