Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fountain Pen "Hobby" Comfort Zone...?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 556 Posts

Default Fountain Pen "Hobby" Comfort Zone...?

So... anyone else tired of being precious with their fine fountain pens (the ones costing $150 and more, especially more, like Nakaya more)?

Sometimes, I just want to throw my Nakaya Piccolos with my Pilots (912, 92, Falcon) into a zippered cloth bag without individual slots and carry them around like cheap colored pencils. (The pencils would have little plastic caps, probably, to prevent breaking the leads. But that's it for protection.)

I have two Danitrios -- Komori and Fellowship -- and not because of their cost but because of their beauty (maki-e), I would not consider just chucking them into that zippered cloth bag.

But what if I did?!

Would you?

Carry your fine pens free-and-easy, no case, no protection outside of just making sure not to drop them?

What if they got all marked and scratched up? So what?

Right?

What are your comfort... boundaries? And, if you push them, how?

Me, I've started carrying my Nakaya Piccolo (I call this one Kurouac) sometimes out of its sleeve in my wallet/little-purse-type thing, sometimes with a Pilot 912. - bareback! It's kindv cheating, cos Kurouac has a couple teeny, tiny dings from falling to the road a couple of times -- and, because it didn't break, I was more relieved than dismayed; also, impressed that there were only teeny, tiny dings.

But I'm still not putting it bareback with my housekeys into my jacket pocket when idę spacer nocny z psem*, actually any time the words "jacket" and "housekeys" are used together in a sentence.

*I take a night walk with the dog.

P.S. If this is disjointed, sorry. I was interrupted a thousand times since I started trying to ask a simple question four hours ago. Gob Bluth: "COME ON!"
    Last edited by ethernautrix; January 9th, 2019 at 09:23 AM. Reason: See? I knew I would have to edit.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ethernautrix For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (January 9th, 2019), Chemyst (January 12th, 2019), VertOlive (January 9th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Default Re: Fountain Pen "Hobby" Comfort Zone...?

Quote Originally Posted by ethernautrix View Post
    I have two Danitrios -- Komori and Fellowship -- and not because of their cost but because of their beauty (maki-e), I would not consider just chucking them into that zippered cloth bag.

But what if I did?!

Would you?

Carry your fine pens free-and-easy, no case, no protection outside of just making sure not to drop them?

What if they got all marked and scratched up? So what?
    I have no Danitrios or Nakayas, but I wouldn't do it with any of my more expensive pens purely because they would get scratched up and marked, and I really don't like having pens that look like they have been dumped, unloved and disrespected, in the bottom of a bag knocking against keys and things.

One day I expect someone else to own my nice pens, and when they receive them I would rather not have them say something like "My goodness, look how battered this pen is. The previous owner didn't care for it at all." That's what I often think when I receive a pen that I bought on ebay.

I don't have a dog that I take for a walk at night. However, if I did, I wouldn't expect to need to use a fountain pen during that task, so I could leave them all safely at home.
    Last edited by Chrissy; January 9th, 2019 at 09:49 AM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

KrazyIvan (January 9th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

So... anyone else tired of being precious with their fine fountain pens....
    Shhhhhh!! I've always been aware of this (even more so lately, and my collection has substantially changed with that in mind).

This is what happens to any hobby, interest or obsession. Eventually, instead of a Porsche or a Cadillac, it's a means to get from A to B in reasonable comfort and expense. A Rolex will lose more seconds than a quartz, and the latter can be stolen in a locker room with far less worry. Many inexpensive modern fountain pens write as well and with greater reliability than limited editions or rare antiques, and with just as much flair on the page with the right nib grind. But people will collect, some by simply hoarding and others by honing collections until they have perfect little museums, be they of postage or paintings or pens. And yes, they can have a lot of emotion invested in such things, sometimes too much.

You can embrace a minimalist approach, but as we know, fountain pens are still fun. And while I owned it, that Agatha Christie was pretty cool (until someone wanted to possess it more than I did).
    Last edited by FredRydr; January 9th, 2019 at 10:35 AM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (January 9th, 2019), NibsForScript (January 16th, 2019)

Thanks

I use my MB 146 as my daily carry. I lives in my shirt pocket until I get to work, then it lives on the desk and is used until I go home. The pen goes back in the pocket, back to the house, and back to its holding spot on my desk until the next day.

Yes, there are some superficial scratches. Yes, I run the risk of losing or destroying the pen. No, I don't have any particular qualms about this. I bought the pen and I love the pen. I love it more than many of my other pens, which came as a surprise to me as I bought it thinking that I would have it as sort of a collectors piece. Nope. Easily my most used pen.

Use, don't abuse, the pens you have and your life will be richer for it.

Thanks

I have lots of pens (perhaps 30). I don't count them. They are not expensive and probably never were. But they are tools and as such, are prime examples of the penmaker's art. I have immense respect for tools but don't baby them. Most of my pens live jumbled together in a wooden cigar box. The 1943 vintage P51 lives cheek by jowl with an 18th Century blow filler. If they scratch each other, they will still write and that is all I will ask of them. I have much better things to do than sit and spit-shine a bunch of pens.

There are people in this world who buy things they can't afford and then are afraid to use them because they know they will have to sell the pretty things some day and don't want to ruin the resale price. Boat owners come to mind. And homeowners.
    "Nothing is enough for the man to whom enough is too little." -Epicurus-

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Paddler For This Useful Post:

Eddie Southgate (January 12th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,697 Posts

I’m similar to Paddler.

I do not pamper my pens, the ones which are inked laying together with many other pens and artist tools together on a heap.

In the first place they are tools and the ones which are in use I want to have handy and ready whenever I need them.

As Iˋm a chaotic guy things always pile up on my desk (as I have a lot of tools, writing and artist ones).
    When need space I just doze the things aside (into a heap).

My wife always claims that my office is a waste dump.

One difference to Paddler, most of my fountain pens have a single compartment in my pen drawer case when they are not in use.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Paddler View Post
    ...an 18th Century blow filler....
    Please post a photo of this!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

I just bought a 48 pen case, so now I have two of them. That's how I store my restored pens.

For testing, sketching, where mobility is desired, I have several smaller pen cases from a 4-pens to 1-pen. Almost all pens that I restored went in there during testing period.

Now that I've said it, I just realize that I don't have expensive > $500 pens. Though I have restored and sold a few of them.

All I have is one Nakaya that stays in its kimono in a box, that's about it.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    So... anyone else tired of being precious with their fine fountain pens....
    Shhhhhh!! I've always been aware of this (even more so lately, and my collection has substantially changed with that in mind).

This is what happens to any hobby, interest or obsession. Eventually, instead of a Porsche or a Cadillac, it's a means to get from A to B in reasonable comfort and expense. A Rolex will lose more seconds than a quartz, and the latter can be stolen in a locker room with far less worry.
    ...You might be shocked by the price of some G-Shock limited editions.

Thanks

I've never been extremely precious with any of my pens; any of them can be a take to work pen (but my most expensive one was $400).
    But after my Cross Peerless 125 developed a defect in the lacquer, and Cross replaced it, I found myself with a "beater" 125 and a "nice" one.
    It's been very liberating to toss the "beater" in my hoodie pocket. It's been just fine, but even if it wasn't, it's nice to get to use it in the real world for things it wouldn't have been used for before.
    It makes me think if I get any pens from the expensive category anymore I'd prefer a "user-grade" and just sidestep the preciousness.

Thanks

All my pens are treated roughly equally. But I also don't own any over $200 ... though that is still a lot of money for a pen.

I don't baby any of my watches either and they are much more expensive.

Maybe I just take generally good care of the things I own, whether it's expensive or not.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

I am exactly the opposite. I treat my $1 pens the same as my most expensive pens that are definitely over $150. I might be a little more choosy on the inks I use in them but they all go in a pen case when they travel.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks
    Thanked 3,790 Times in 1,644 Posts

This is not a temptation that calls to me. I'm attentive while using them and treat all my pens like the fine things they are. They're beautiful tools that someone made and that I'm well off enough to own.

Not to square off with those who do otherwise, but for me to handle my pen so as to slightly damage it makes me feel like an ingrate.
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to VertOlive For This Useful Post:

Brilliant Bill (January 10th, 2019), jmccarty3 (January 27th, 2019), Jon Szanto (January 10th, 2019), NibsForScript (January 16th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,927 Times in 842 Posts

I spend my time making pens look better, not worse. To each his own, I suppose.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Deb For This Useful Post:

jmccarty3 (January 27th, 2019), NibsForScript (January 16th, 2019), Scrawler (January 12th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,697 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Deb View Post
    I spend my time making pens look better, not worse. To each his own, I suppose.
    Only temporary, sooner or later time will destroy everything

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Pterodactylus For This Useful Post:

AzJon (January 10th, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddler View Post
    ...an 18th Century blow filler....
    Please post a photo of this!
    I put up photos of this pen a couple of years ago when I still hung out at that other forum (before they became wrapped tighter than a pope's fundoshi). Since then, Google quit hosting pictures and I haven't got the hang of posting here. I think there were pictures of the innards of this pen too. I will see if I can swing a glimmer of it.
    "Nothing is enough for the man to whom enough is too little." -Epicurus-

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Paddler For This Useful Post:

FredRydr (January 11th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Posting pictures on here is the easiest place I've ever posted. If you need any assistance please let me know.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks
    Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,716 Posts

I don't have very many of what I consider 'expensive' (hovering around $200) pens: a few Sailors and Waterman Carenes, and one Sheaffer Legacy.

They don't leave the house. But then, neither do many of my inexpensive pens. I actually have Designated Free-Range Pens. One Safari, one Nemosine Singularity, and a Jinhao or two.

Preppys and Petits don't count. See other thread.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 695 Posts

My most expensive pens were a bit over $200. My two Montblancs are the non-luxury Noblesse model from the late 1970s, and cost me around $100 each. I have a number of very nice looking vintage pens; my favorites for appearance are the old celluloids that they don't make any more, followed by the BCHR ones.

I don't keep favorite pens at home for fear of damaging them, for the most part. A couple of my old Conklin Crescents do seem a bit fragile, and are not shirt pocket pens, and a couple of my really old pens have ink-spitting issues that I've never fully resolved, and wouldn't want to deal with at work or just walking around. But everything else is fair game, even if it would be hard to replace. I'm currently carrying around my one Parker Vacumatic and one of the Noblesses, as well as a much cheaper pen.

I try to treat my pens with reasonable care, but minor scratches are just part of life. I'm more worried about major functional damage, so I think about where I'm going before taking one of my nicer pens along. But for work, and just general walking around, they're all good.
    "If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly."
    G.K. Chesterton

Thanks
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 637 Posts

There's no joy in possessing something that you're afraid you will damage; some would say that it owns you.

If there are any typos in this post, I blame Tapatalk!
    M: I came here for a good argument.
    A: No you didn't; no, you came here for an argument.
    M: An argument isn't just contradiction.
    A: It can be.
    M: No it can't. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.
    A: No it isn't.
    M: Yes it is! It's not just contradiction.
    A: Look, if I argue with you, I must take up a contrary position.
    M: Yes, but that's not just saying 'No it isn't.'
    A: Yes it is!
    M: No it isn't!

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lloyd For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (January 10th, 2019), Chemyst (January 19th, 2019)