Thread: Ink Review: Noodler's #41 Brown (bulletproof)

Thanks

Default Ink Review: Noodler's #41 Brown (bulletproof)

Noodler's #41 Brown does what it was created to do, and it does it very well. Will it win an award for the best behaving, best shading, and best sheening brown ink ever created? No. It should, however, win an award for being a ridiculously awesome bulletproof brown ink. I love it for that reason and highly recommend it. For an even better experience, listen to '#41' by Dave Matthews while writing.

Quick stats if you don’t want to read all the details:

Flow/Lubrication: 2 of 5
    Saturation: 4 of 5
    Shading: 4 of 5 on Tomoe River; 1-2 of 5 on standard papers
    Feathering: none
    Bleedthrough: none
    Showthrough: none
    Water-Resistance: 5 of 5
    Dry Time (FP friendly): <30 sec
    Dry Time (non-FP friendly): <5 sec!
    Smearing (dry): none
    Sheen: None
    Cleaning & Maintenance: above-average (needed more frequently)
    Staining: possible on converters and demonstrators - easily remedied with diluted bleach
    Buy again: absolutely - will always have in my collection

I love brown inks and #41 Brown was one of the first bottles of ink I bought years ago. It is a dark and deep sepia color, according to the founder of Noodler’s Ink. My first thoughts when seeing it on paper, ‘Yep, that’s a solid brown.’ Anytime I want a bombproof brown ink, this is the first bottle I reach for in my collection.

Lamy 2000 fine - Tomoe River (yep, I mistakenly went from 'h' to'j' hahaha)

TWSBI Vac 700 broad - Tomoe River

Lamy 2000 fine & TWSBI Vac700 broad - Leuchtturm1917

Noodler’s 3oz glass bottles are simple and functional, filled to the brim. Here’s a closer look at the label on the bottle (read Mr. Tardiff’s description of the ink for more backstory):

If you want the best behaving brown ink you’ve ever experienced in your fountain pen’s life, this isn’t for you. #41 Brown doesn’t behave badly, but it does require careful pen maintenance (as does every other highly water-resistant ink regardless of brand and color). I would not leave this ink unused in a pen for very long. It wants to work, not to sit idly waiting around for days or weeks at a time. As long as you use your pens often and clean them regularly, you’ll be fine. Even better if it’s a pen you can easily disassemble.

Compared to regular fountain pen inks, water-resistant and bulletproof inks tend to dry out on the nib a bit more quickly when left uncapped - #41 is no different. As long as you’re conscious of this and keep your pen capped when not writing, it should pose no issue. During extended sessions, I had no problems with the nib drying out as long as I kept writing. When I did leave the cap off too long, a quick wipe on a paper towel (or my finger) had the ink flowing again.

Dry times were weird on Rhodia and Tomoe River (anywhere from 8-30 seconds pending on how much ink pooled) and exceptional on lesser quality paper (under 5 seconds!). If you’re a lefty or anyone who needs a fast drying ink and you use standard paper more often than Rhodia or Tomoe River, #41 Brown is a great option.

Tomoe River (smears you see are my fault - my cat kept jumping on the desk...)

There was little to no feathering on every paper I tried, including a junk-mail envelop and a Walmart spiral notebook. Impressive! No bleedthrough and little to no show-through. It’s a drier ink which is awesome if you’ll be writing on lower quality papers. On FP friendly papers, a juicy nib will work best (that is, of course, just MY preference).

There is shading with wetter lines on Tomoe River and Rhodia.

Just look at the bulletproof & waterproofness qualities...

On Rhodia and Tomoe River, a tiny bit of ink slightly smeared with a wet finger (and I do mean tiny). On all other paper where every bit of ink could bond with the fibers, nothing moved.

Here are a few quick comparisons to some of the other brown inks I have:

I must admit, I'm biased. I love Noodler’s Ink & Nathan Tardiff and have a keen appreciation for his water-resistant & bulletproof inks (as well as his mission). When I was first getting into fountain pens, I only wanted waterproof inks and Noodler’s was the first brand recommended to me. It wasn’t until I had a dozen or more bottles of Noodler’s bulletproof inks that I started exploring other non-bulletproof inks and other brands. Though I have a wide variety of inks now, from most brands and companies, I always have at least a couple of pens in my rotation filled with Noodler’s bulletproof colors, including this amazing #41 Brown.
    Last edited by benjitzu; January 9th, 2019 at 01:54 PM.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to benjitzu For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (January 9th, 2019), Chrissy (January 9th, 2019), grainweevil (January 9th, 2019), junglejim (January 9th, 2019), Lady Onogaro (January 9th, 2019), Sailor Kenshin (January 10th, 2019), Takasnooze (January 9th, 2019)

Thanks

Default Re: Ink Review: Noodler's #41 Brown (bulletproof)

Well that was a good read. I must confess I often skip lightly through many ink reviews, but I enjoyed your enthusiasm balanced with the acknowledgement that it won't be for everyone, and thus found I'd read every word. Trouble is now I have to firmly remind myself that I already have several brown inks and a water-resistant one is not actually an essential.

Thanks

It is a lovely, rich brown. Must put it on my "to try" list. Thanks for the review.

Thanks

Great review of a wonderful ink. I have it permanently in a Noodler's Dixie #10 - suits the colour well!
    The Good Captain
    (Gaston F Limoges)
    "Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Good Captain View Post
    Great review of a wonderful ink. I have it permanently in a Noodler's Dixie #10 - suits the colour well!
    Thank you! Yes, fantastic ink! How long have you been using it in your Dixie #10?
    Last edited by benjitzu; January 10th, 2019 at 09:02 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by grainweevil View Post
    Well that was a good read. I must confess I often skip lightly through many ink reviews, but I enjoyed your enthusiasm balanced with the acknowledgement that it won't be for everyone, and thus found I'd read every word. Trouble is now I have to firmly remind myself that I already have several brown inks and a water-resistant one is not actually an essential.
    Thank you! Yeah, this ink is definitely not for everyone. But for those who crave (or want or need) the occasional bombproof brown ink, it excels. It seems we have the same 'troubles' when it comes to new inks hahaha

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    It is a lovely, rich brown. Must put it on my "to try" list. Thanks for the review.
    That it is. Do get a sample - it's worth a try. Curious to hear what you think when you do.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by benjitzu View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Good Captain View Post
    Thank you! Yes, fantastic ink! How long have you been using it in your Dixie #10?
    Quite some time. I've actually got five of them - all inked up - and love their simple and practical design. The inks are all Noodler's: Bulletproof Black, Borealis Black, #41 Brown, Walnut & Air corps Blue-Black. Slaigh variations in colour make them relatively easy to tell apart from one another. I do have a Konrad as well but prefer the ebonite #10s. Nice, simple and reliable pens. I would almost say I like them as much as my Pelikans...
    ...but perhaps not quite yet!
    The Good Captain
    (Gaston F Limoges)
    "Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"