Thread: Trouble with speed

Thanks

Default Trouble with speed

I have been practicing my cursive for at least 30-60 minutes a day for the past at least 2 years trying to build my muscle memory but I'm still having to write so slow to make it legible.

Are there any tips that anyone can give that might help me speed up enough that when I need to take a note or write something when I'm out and about and not have to always write in print.

My print is very neat and fast, I write in all caps and anyone can read it, I got used to doing that from filling out AAR's or notes to give nurses when I was a medic until they switched to tablets.

I want to write faster and neater in cursive so bad but like I said I have to write so slow and deliberate. So any advice will help

Thanks
    Mreeveshp

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 3,387 Times in 1,698 Posts

Default Re: Trouble with speed

Slant and spacing. Keep these regular, and it will help legibility.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    I have that no problem when writing slow and when speed up I still have it pretty good but the letters loose there shape and that's when I just barely speed up. Right now the speed is pretty much doing one letter at a time and basically "drawing" each letter slow so that the lines are all neat and doesn't look all shaky.

I do have some problems with my hands shaking especially when my anxiety or PTSD is flared up so that makes it difficult sometimes and if I'm shaking too much I just write in print.

Thanks
    Mreeveshp

Thanks
    Thanked 3,387 Times in 1,698 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mreeveshp View Post
    I have that no problem when writing slow and when speed up I still have it pretty good but the letters loose there shape and that's when I just barely speed up. Right now the speed is pretty much doing one letter at a time and basically "drawing" each letter slow so that the lines are all neat and doesn't look all shaky.

I do have some problems with my hands shaking especially when my anxiety or PTSD is flared up so that makes it difficult sometimes and if I'm shaking too much I just write in print.

Thanks
    Mreeveshp

I wonder if you're gripping too tight? (My hands can shake, too).

Other than that, have you ever done any Palmer method practice, where you draw circles over and over? It's supposed to loosen you up, and help you to write from the shoulder, which is less fatiguing.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mreeveshp View Post

Thanks
    Mreeveshp

I wonder if you're gripping too tight? (My hands can shake, too).

Other than that, have you ever done any Palmer method practice, where you draw circles over and over? It's supposed to loosen you up, and help you to write from the shoulder, which is less fatiguing.
    I grip the pen just enough to hold it in my fingers.

I used to do drills like that when I first started out with dip pens. Since then to be honest I haven't done them much at all even though I probably should. I spend most of my "practice" writing out famous quotes.

Thanks
    Mreeveshp

Thanks

I'm no handwriting expert but I do understand something about skill training. One strategy is to look at how you are writing and see if there is a weak spot and then train it away. For example, a particular letter might be awkward and throwing you off. Or a transition between letters? If you find something like that then you practice the hell out of that one thing. And experiment too - eg changing the form of the awkward letter.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ilikenails For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (January 12th, 2019)