Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pen cleaning

Thanks
    Thanked 1,813 Times in 794 Posts

Default Re: Pen cleaning

Quote Originally Posted by mreeveshp View Post
    Just an update, I let the lamy's entire nib and feed section soak for 8 hours yesterday to get the Baystate Blue out.
    I believe our suggestions would have been more specific had you mentioned the culprit behind your problem was BSB. This ink does not play well with others and residue left in your pen will result in clogging once you add another ink. That is why many people have a BSB-only pen.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,361 Times in 3,977 Posts

Just an update, I let the lamy's entire nib and feed section soak for 8 hours yesterday to get the Baystate Blue out. Let it dry and put Borealis Black in it and it seems to be writing fine, I will see how it goes as I use the pen through the day today.

Thanks
    Mreeveshp

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk
    If it's BSB you're trying to clean out then soaking in just water won't be enough. It will need soaking in a pen flush solution as well.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by carlos.q View Post
    Just an update, I let the lamy's entire nib and feed section soak for 8 hours yesterday to get the Baystate Blue out.
    I believe our suggestions would have been more specific had you mentioned the culprit behind your problem was BSB. This ink does not play well with others and residue left in your pen will result in clogging once you add another ink. That is why many people have a BSB-only pen.
    Yea I'm thinking pilot metropolitan fine nib for BSB. I hope it's a finer nib then the lamy al star fine. I'm trying to get a finer nib without going to an extra fine even though I've never wrote with a extra fine except maybe my dip pens.

When I got my inks they came with a noodlers Charlie and I inked one with nikita one with habanero and one with baystate. It seems that the Charlie with baystate is a medium while the other 2 are finer nibs.

But any new purchases are going to be a while as I said in a previous post money is extremely tight.

Thanks
    Mreeveshp

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

The only way I clean a pen with BSB is pulling the feed, using a toothbrush with warm water and bleach solution. I use ten drops of bleach in approximately 8 oz of water. I only do this with modern pens that I can completely take apart. The feed can be pulled from an Al-Star. The operation is similar to pulling the nib but just grip the feed instead when re-installing, note that the feed is keyed and will only go back in one direction. If it feels forced, you're putting it in the wrong direction. Rinse everything with clean water. The ultrasonic solution is nothing special. Water and dishwashing solution mixture are fine.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    You could try a Google search for general cleaning fluid for ultrasonic cleaners if your one doesn't give you any instructions on what to use.
    I looked through the manual and it says what it recommends but money being tight it's going to be a while before I'm able to get it.

Do you use chemicals for pens or just water?

Thanks
    Mreeveshp

I use Palmolive dish soap. Cover the bottom of the ultrasonic pan with a thin layer and fill the rest with water. It gets the worst grime out. That is what most of my jeweler friends and I use. Some use Mr. Clean done the same way. Most of my jeweler friends do not buy the cleaning formulas meant for ultra sonics. They are expensive and don't really seem to work any better. So the 10% dish soap to 90% water works quite well.

Thanks

Yea I'm thinking pilot metropolitan fine nib for BSB. I hope it's a finer nib then the lamy al star fine. I'm trying to get a finer nib without going to an extra fine even though I've never wrote with a extra fine except maybe my dip pens.
    Fine and extra fine are just words: ignore them. The Metro F is much finer than even a Lamy EF.

..I'd suggest a Preppy or Plasir for BSB: the nib sections are cheap enough to be expendable and the slip and seal caps will stop moisture loss. Preppies survive being inked with Platinum Carbon exceptionally well, so BSB shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ilikenails View Post
    Fine and extra fine are just words: ignore them. The Metro F is much finer than even a Lamy EF.

..I'd suggest a Preppy or Plasir for BSB: the nib sections are cheap enough to be expendable and the slip and seal caps will stop moisture loss. Preppies survive being inked with Platinum Carbon exceptionally well, so BSB shouldn't be a problem.
    I was hoping the Lamy fine would be finer than it is because a lot of the time my writing is on the small side and I heard the metropolitan is a pretty fine nib. I have a montverede mountain that writes finer than the Lamy. I have noodlers nikita in the mountain and borealis black in the Lamy. My Aurora is also finer than the Lamy and I have noodlers habanero in it. The Aurora seems to write with anything I've put in it and I kind of contemplated putting BSB in it.

I also really like the TWSBI GO. But I don't know which would be better F or EF.

Thanks
    Mreeveshp