Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pen cleaning

Thanks

Default Pen cleaning

What do you all use if you have a pen that is particularly difficult to get clean so it writes like new again. I've heard some people say mixing windex with ammonia with water and I just recently read an article that the author said he uses vinegar.

If I could get an idea what would work the best I would really appreciate it.

Thanks
    Mreeveshp

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

Thanks

Default Re: Pen cleaning

Better to purchase a penflush. I have tried Monteverde and is just great. Or if you're more of a DIY kind of person, you can type in "how to make your own penflush" and follow instructions to the letter so as not to damage your fountain pens.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,818 Times in 797 Posts

1. You can buy a commercial penflush (like Goulet's)
    2. You can make your own penflush by diluting non-sudsy ammonia
    3. Vinegar is used for cleaning pens with IG inks
    4. An ultrasonic is a good investment

But best of all, don't sweat the small stuff. As long as you use safe inks (no BSB, nano or glitter) a simple flush will suffice. I have read some posts from people that disassemble their pens every time they change inks which is IMO just looking for needless problems.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to carlos.q For This Useful Post:

Robert (January 15th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Start by flushing with warmish water, if you need more cleaning than that, then use a pen flush solution. Either a proprietary one or one made with 10 parts water to 1 part non-sudsy ammonia as carlos says.

I use Diamine Shimmer inks in several of my pens, and flushing my pens out with warm water works for me. Occasionally, I might put a drop of dishwashing liquid in the glass or cup of water, but I often forget.

I don't dissemble most of my pens unless I need to because there is a problem. Maybe I remove the nib units from a Parker 45 more frequently than most, but usually only to swap them around.
    Last edited by Chrissy; January 15th, 2019 at 02:47 PM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

azkid (January 16th, 2019), NibsForScript (January 21st, 2019), Pen_Ultimate (January 20th, 2019)

Thanks

I'm the same as some of the other posts. Warm/hot water to flush. I've been debating taking a cartridge and doing the syringe thing to push water through. I haven't come across build up yet that required ammonia or a flush fluid.

Sent from my One Max using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jsharp808 View Post
    I'm the same as some of the other posts. Warm/hot water to flush. I've been debating taking a cartridge and doing the syringe thing to push water through. I haven't come across build up yet that required ammonia or a flush fluid.

An ear bulb works very well for when you want to push water through more quickly than a converter does.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post

An ear bulb works very well for when you want to push water through more quickly than a converter does.
    Good idea. It would save cutting up a cartridge

Thanks

Good idea. It would save cutting up a cartridge

Make sure you hold on tightly to the section while you're using the ear bulb. It can sometimes be scary....

Thanks

I have a couple 3ml syringes that don't have needles the pharmacy gives them for squirting baby medicine or something you just have to ask them for the ones without needles.

They work good on my montverede and Aurora but the end isn't lone enough to get to the feed section on my lamy so will have to try the bulb syringe that I have and see if it fits down in there

Thanks
    Mreeveshp

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Cut off the nipple end of the bulb syringe until you can push the back end of the feed/section into it, then push and pull water (or flush solution) through. Buy several and cut to fit different size sections.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

NibsForScript (January 21st, 2019)

Thanks

I have one bulb that has a cut-off end and one that hasn't. I admit I tend to just push the one with the pointed end into the section and hardly ever use the other one.

Thanks

Warm water first. Ammonia if the residue is difficult to shift (diluted about 10% to 90% water). Also use soapy water (washing up liquid, a few drops in warm water).

Good practice - always start with the least effort (water) and if that doesn't work, try the next up (soapy water) then the next (ammonia). That principle works for unscrewing sections too - start with bare hands, go on to rubber/latex strip for better grip, if that doesn't work, section pliers.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to amk For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (January 17th, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amk View Post
    Warm water first. Ammonia if the residue is difficult to shift (diluted about 10% to 90% water). Also use soapy water (washing up liquid, a few drops in warm water).

Good practice - always start with the least effort (water) and if that doesn't work, try the next up (soapy water) then the next (ammonia). That principle works for unscrewing sections too - start with bare hands, go on to rubber/latex strip for better grip, if that doesn't work, section pliers.
    Agreed.
    I remember when I was restoring ceramics and needed to take apart previous and sometimes very old restoration. I started with warm water, then hotter water with washing powder added, then Industrial Denatured Alcohol, then Acetone. If all else failed I occasionally had to resort to Nitromors. (Not for pens!)

Thanks

For ammonia the only thing I have is windex with ammonia which has always worked great with all my pens.

The problem now is I just got a brand new Lamy Al Star and I used the disposable cartridge that came with it but when I switched to the converter and noodlers ink it has been jamming every couple words.

Thanks
    Mreeveshp

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mreeveshp View Post

For ammonia the only thing I have is windex with ammonia which has always worked great with all my pens.

The problem now is I just got a brand new Lamy Al Star and I used the disposable cartridge that came with it but when I switched to the converter and noodlers ink it has been jamming every couple words.

Thanks
    Mreeveshp

I'm not sure because I'm in the UK, and I don't know where in the world you are, but I think most fountain pen users buy Household ammonia rather than Windex for cleaning their pens. Windex contains other substances that might not play well with your pens.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mreeveshp View Post

Thanks
    Mreeveshp

I'm not sure because I'm in the UK, and I don't know where in the world you are, but I think most fountain pen users buy Household ammonia rather than Windex for cleaning their pens. Windex contains other substances that might not play well with your pens.
    I couldn't find just plain pure ammonia in any of the stores I went to today so I'm trying just a good long soak in water.

I have a ultrasonic cleaner that I have had for probably 2 years I got for gun parts but I still haven't even took it out of the box cause I just haven't got the cleaning fluid for it. So I wouldn't know what I need or how to use it for pen parts.

Thanks
    Mreeveshp

Thanks

You could try a Google search for general cleaning fluid for ultrasonic cleaners if your one doesn't give you any instructions on what to use.

Thanks

You could try a Google search for general cleaning fluid for ultrasonic cleaners if your one doesn't give you any instructions on what to use.
    I looked through the manual and it says what it recommends but money being tight it's going to be a while before I'm able to get it.

Do you use chemicals for pens or just water?

Thanks
    Mreeveshp

Thanks

My USC came with a free sample of their cleaning fluid. I use that at a higher water to cleaner concentration rate.

Thanks

Just an update, I let the lamy's entire nib and feed section soak for 8 hours yesterday to get the Baystate Blue out. Let it dry and put Borealis Black in it and it seems to be writing fine, I will see how it goes as I use the pen through the day today.

Thanks
    Mreeveshp