Thread: New Ink Review: Diamine Aurora Borealis (in collaboration with r/fountainpens)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Default New Ink Review: Diamine Aurora Borealis (in collaboration with r/fountainpens)

Diamine Aurora Borealis is the second ink made in collaboration with the r/fountainpen community. It’s a pretty teal ink that they selected.

It’s a reasonably well saturated ink, and exhibits some really nice shading plus an attractive red sheen, although it isn’t a heavy sheen monster like Organics Studio Walden Pond.

I found it flowed well with all of the pens I tried it in, and lubrication was smooth across the page. It never felt dry to write with, although felt slightly less lubricated in my Lamy Al-Star with F steel nib.

My review was written on HP Premium Choice ColorLok 100gsm smooth coated paper from Staples. It’s not very absorbent, and I saw no spread, feathering, show-through or bleed-through.

Dry time was very quick, within 5 seconds on my test.

Aurora Borealis is not sold as a waterproof ink and showed little water resistance.

Some members of r/fountainpens asked if it was similar to J.Herbin 1670 Emerald of Chivor, but that ink leans more blue

Nib Dry-out: Not noticed.
    Start-up: Immediate.
    Nib Creep / “Crud”: Not seen, even after several days in the pen.
    Clean-up: Easy from hands and pens.
    Clogging: Not seen.
    Available from Diamine Inks UK in 80ml glass and 30ml plastic bottles and from many retailers worldwide.

Diamine Aurora Borealis.jpegDiamine Aurora Borealis 1.jpeg
    Last edited by Chrissy; March 5th, 2019 at 12:38 AM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (January 16th, 2019), aurore (January 16th, 2019), jmccarty3 (January 19th, 2019), Marsilius (January 16th, 2019)

Thanks

Default Re: New Ink Review: Diamine Aurora Borealis (in collaboration with r/fountainpens)

Chrissy, thanks for your usual thorough review. On my screen this color is reminiscent of Diamine Prussian Blue.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Default Re: New Ink Review: Diamine Aurora Borealis (in collaboration with r/fountainpens)

Quote Originally Posted by TMac View Post
    Chrissy, thanks for your usual thorough review. On my screen this color is reminiscent of Diamine Prussian Blue.
    You're welcome. I think Prussian Blue is much more blue than this ink though.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

aurore (January 17th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

That looks quite nice. I shall have to sample!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to azkid For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (January 16th, 2019), Runnin_Ute (January 18th, 2019)