Thread: FS: 5 Vintage Conklins with Flexible Nibs

Thanks

Default FS: 5 Vintage Conklins with Flexible Nibs

Condition (n.b.): All pens listed below have been disassembled, cleaned and restored with new sacs installed in the last couple weeks. Each is guaranteed to fill and write as designed without leaks or other issues. Nibs have been adjusted when necessary to ensure that all lay down a smooth and consistent line. These pens have no cracks, chips, personal engravings, missing parts, bent nibs, misaligned tines, or threading issues.

Line Widths and Writing Samples: To provide customers with as much information as possible, I have started to adopt the following line width standards: XXF (.1-.2mm); XF (approx .3mm); F (approx .4mm); M (approx .6mm); B (approx .8mm). These as well as line widths under full flex are measured with a digital caliper but should be considered approximations providing a general guide: width may vary slightly depending on type of ink and paper used as well as amount of pressure applied. All writing samples are on Rhodia dot paper using Pelikan Edelstein Smoky Quartz or Waterman Serenity Blue.

1. 1920-5 Crescent-Filler 40 (BCHR, GFT, crescent filler, 14k XF/XXF Superflex–Wet Noodle nib). The 40 is a large pen by vintage standards, having a capped length of 5 1/2" and a thick barrel girth of a hair under 1/2". It's made of black hard rubber, chased in the scallop pattern found on most Crescent-Fillers. Patented rocker clip raises at the bottom when the top is depressed. Gold-filled crescent is stamped "Conklin" on one side and "Crescent" on the other. The Crescent-Filler is one of the most simple and durable filling systems among sacced pens. To fill one simply rotates the knurled lock-ring to the open position and depresses the crescent once with the nib submersed. Impressively large and long-tined 14k Conklin Toledo #4 nib is guaranteed to please. It's capable of Super-flexible variation verging on a Wet Noodle but has stronger snap-back than the latter, making it extremely responsive to the amount of pressure applied. The nib lays down a smooth and consistent XF/XXF line that widens to a BBB+ (2.4mm) under light/minimal pressure (see writing sample). Aforementioned snap-back, thin hairlines, and generous flow make it ideally suited to calligraphic writing styles such as Copperplate and Spencerian. Condition: This is among the nicest examples of this model I've personally encountered. The color of the hard rubber is a dark black color with virtually no fading. The chasing is evenly sharp and crisp with no discernible wear. And unlike the vast majority, there is no brassing whatsoever to the trim. Surface is smooth and lustrous with no notable blemishes. Barrel imprint is sharp and deep aside from some wear to the word "Conklin," but it's still fully legible. An exceptionally well-preserved example of this oversized model with everything you could ever ask for from vintage flex. Price: $280 SOLD

2. 1920s Rolled Gold Flat Top (gold-filled, lever filler, 14k XF Superflex nib). This full-length thin model measures 4 7/8" capped with a 3/8" barrel girth. It's an all metal pen, machine-turned in the chevron chasing pattern. Barrel bears marking of "rolled gold," which is another name for gold filled. Patented rocker clip designed to raise at the bottom when the top is depressed. Large and long-tined 14k Conklin Toledo #3 nib is a Super-flexible writer, laying down a smooth and consistent XF line that widens to a BBB+ (2mm) under light pressure (see writing sample). Strong snap-back, thin hairlines, and generous flow under pressure make it another great nib for calligraphic writing styles. Condition: This pen is closer to user-grade, having several pin-sized dings on the barrel and a couple on the cap (the timestamp photo shows by far the largest ding near the bottom of the barrel). There is also brassing to the top and bottom of the clip as well as thin slivers around the crown of the cap and butt of the barrel. Lastly, the rocker clip is firmly secured (not loose at all), but has lost some of its capacity to rock on the central pivot so that the bottom is always slightly lifted instead of being flush with the barrel. These flaws have been factored into the price, making this one a most suitable for someone who is looking for a very flexible vintage writer and prefers a heavier pen but is less concerned about cosmetic condition. Price: $160 SOLD

3. 1930s Sub-Endura Streamlined (red & grey pearl striated celluloid, GPT, lever filler, 14k XF Superflex nib). Measures 5 1/8" capped. This model is in most respects identical to the streamlined Endura of the early 30s but without the Endura imprint. Later style rocker clip. Celluloid is marbled in red and grey pearl with solid, darker red striations – an eye-catching pattern I believe was unique to Conklin. Super-flexible 14k Conklin Toledo #2 nib lays down a smooth and consistent XF line that widens to a BBB+ (2mm) under light pressure (see writing sample). Strong snap-back and juicy flow under pressure make it another great choice for calligraphic writing styles. Condition: Trim is clean aside from wear to the edges of the cap band and the typical sliver of brassing to the top and bottom of the clip. Celluloid has a smooth, lustrous finish with no noteworthy blemishes. And imprint is sharp, deep, and fully legible. Price: $170 SOLD

4. 1920s Conklin Endura Ringtop (smooth BHR, GPT, lever filler, 14k XF Superflex nib). Measures 4 1/2" capped and 5 3/4" posted. A ringtop version of Conklin's Endura, thicker in girth than most other ringtops. Black hard rubber with gold-plated furniture and red annular bands. Crescent motif on the lever and nib's breather hole hearken back to the Conklin Crescent-Filler (see pen #1). Super-Flexible 14k Endura nib lays down a smooth and consistent XF line that widens to a BBB+ (2.2mm) under light pressure (see writing sample). Another great choice for calligraphic writing styles owing to its strong snap-back, needlepoint hairlines, and reliable flow under pressure, assuming one slows down a bit to ensure that the feed keeps up. Condition: Trim shows no brassing, but there are a couple pin-sized dings on the cap crown. Hard rubber retains its dark black color with only a hint of fading visible under some lighting conditions. Imprint is weakened yet still fully legible under bright light. Annular lines have been restored to their original red hue. Surface is smooth and lustrous with no notable blemishes. Price: $140 SOLD

5. 1920s Conklin Endura Ringtop (Sapphire celluloid, GPT, lever filler, 14k F Stubby Flex nib). Measures 4 1/2" capped and 5 3/4" posted. This is the same model as pen #4 (see description above) but in the more sought after Sapphire celluloid, a color pattern similar yet distinct from the Lapis Lazuli found on Parker's Duofolds. Flexible 14k Endura nib lays down a smooth and consistent line that I'd call stubby, having some slight but noticeable line variation between the F down-strokes (about .4mm) and XF cross-strokes (about .25mm) unflexed. Under moderate pressure the line widens to a BB+ (1.4mm). (see writing sample). A great nib for adding flair to your everyday writing or expressive correspondence. Condition: Color is spectacular, being evenly vibrant across the barrel and the cap. Gold-plated trim is remarkably clean with no brassing. But there are a couple of the typical dings to the metal crown visible from the top (see detail photo below). Celluloid has a smooth, lustrous finish with no notable blemishes. And imprint is sharp, deep, and fully legible. I did not restore the annular rings on this pen since all the original paint was intact. Their color has faded a bit over the years, however. And I'd be happy to restore them to their original bright red color at no additional cost on buyer's request. A beautiful pen with a versatile nib. Price: $155 SOLD

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Shipping: To CONUS locations buyer may opt for either:

• USPS First-Class with tracking for $4;
    • USPS Priority with tracking for $8.

Please contact me for shipping quote if located overseas (delivery confirmation required).

Order, Payment, & Guarantee: Pens are placed on hold for the first person to PM me with firm request to purchase, to which I’ll reply with payment details. If I haven't received Paypal payment within 24 hrs, then they become available to the next person. All pens are guaranteed to be in the condition in which I've described them. If I've missed something or the filling mechanism is not fully functional, the buyer may contact me up to 7 days after receiving the pen for a full refund (issued once I receive the pen back in the same condition as sold). I've sold pens online for over a decade. Please check my past listings here as well as on the classifieds and historical sales forums on FPN (username: Estragon) for some of my previous offerings.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by popcod; January 23rd, 2019 at 06:16 PM.
    aka Estragon (FPN); popcodswallop (Reddit)

WANTED: Vintage Pens with White Trim! –> Sheaffer: OS Balance w/ reverse trim (grey/red vein); Balance (grey/red fleck) | First-Yr Crest (silver cap); Canadian Balance 5-30 (roseglow, ebonized pearl, green) | Waterman: Lady Patricia (persian) | Wahl-Eversharp: Half Coronet (rhodium cap); Doric (Cathay); Skyline (SS/Sterling Cap) | Rebadged Parkers from Diamond Medal and Webster (silver web, pinstripe, etc.)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to popcod For This Useful Post:

FredRydr (January 20th, 2019)