Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Super Wolf Blood Moon NOW!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,793 Times in 1,644 Posts

Default Super Wolf Blood Moon NOW!

Step outside and look up. That is the last total lunar eclipse you'll see until 2021.

January full moon is the "Wolf Moon". "Super Moon" because its orbit takes it a little closer to us right now. "Blood Moon" because that is the color of a total lunar eclipse.

And the sky, it's full of stars.....
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VertOlive For This Useful Post:

calamus (January 31st, 2019), Lady Onogaro (January 23rd, 2019), VerticalTwin (February 9th, 2019)

Thanks

Default Re: Super Wolf Blood Moon NOW!

Stepped outside. Am now werewolf.

Ahwoooooo!

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AzJon For This Useful Post:

calamus (January 31st, 2019), Lady Onogaro (January 23rd, 2019), Sailor Kenshin (January 21st, 2019), VertOlive (January 22nd, 2019)

Thanks

We were at the tail end of a snowstorm, so wouldn’t have seen it anyway. Anyone have pictures?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

It was so popular that it's been held over for another night.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Lady Onogaro (January 23rd, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,371 Times in 3,981 Posts

It was way too cloudy to see it here.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thick layer of clouds and snow coming down. Darn....

Thanks

Here's my take from last night...

I suppose if I were standing on the shores of the Euphrates in Babylon thirty centuries ago, I would be excited about a lunar eclipse, especially if some marketing drones had given it a fancy name. There would be something very mysterious about it as I would not know why it was happening. This evening there is a lunar eclipse and there is a segment of the population, driven by a marketing based media culture, that is frothing over it. They will stay up late, they'll go outside and look into the night sky, some will try to take a picture. Tomorrow there will be seven million bad pictures of it plastered on the Internet.

Over the course of my life (long at this point) I've seen all these things -- the eclipses, the "meteor showers," I've even seen Halley's Comet. None of these things impressed me. Most were just another blip in the night sky. They represent only the normal celestial goings on beyond our atmosphere on earth. On the other hand, I will remember for all time sitting on the living room floor of my parents' home gazing at a television set the evening of July 20, 1969 seeing humans walking on the moon. Now that would be worth staying up late to see, even tonight!

For humans this night, I advise staying inside warm homes. Take comfort in a hot cup of cocoa or a shot of bourbon if so inclined. If you really want to see the moon turn red, give me 15 seconds and I'll make it happen for you in Photoshop!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brilliant Bill View Post

I suppose if I were standing on the shores of the Euphrates in Babylon thirty centuries ago, I would be excited about a lunar eclipse, especially if some marketing drones had given it a fancy name. There would be something very mysterious about it as I would not know why it was happening. This evening there is a lunar eclipse and there is a segment of the population, driven by a marketing based media culture, that is frothing over it. They will stay up late, they'll go outside and look into the night sky, some will try to take a picture. Tomorrow there will be seven million bad pictures of it plastered on the Internet.

Over the course of my life (long at this point) I've seen all these things -- the eclipses, the "meteor showers," I've even seen Halley's Comet. None of these things impressed me. Most were just another blip in the night sky. They represent only the normal celestial goings on beyond our atmosphere on earth. On the other hand, I will remember for all time sitting on the living room floor of my parents' home gazing at a television set the evening of July 20, 1969 seeing humans walking on the moon. Now that would be worth staying up late to see, even tonight!

For humans this night, I advise staying inside warm homes. Take comfort in a hot cup of cocoa or a shot of bourbon if so inclined. If you really want to see the moon turn red, give me 15 seconds and I'll make it happen for you in Photoshop!
    What a sad, cynical take.

I live somewhere with very clear skies (now) and love watching meteor showers, and full moons, and various cosmic phenomena. For many years I lived on the California coast and rarely saw more than a few stars. I still go outside just to look at the moon.

So I suggest to be in your warm homes, make your cocoa (choose your own adventure with some whiskey if you please), and step out, away from the electric hum and buzz of our modern lives and into the night. Let the cool night air surround you and bit at your nose and ears. Stare up in wonder at the massive scale of the universe around us and take a quiet moment to bask in the light of the night muse.

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AzJon For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (January 21st, 2019), Empty_of_Clouds (January 21st, 2019), junglejim (January 22nd, 2019), NibsForScript (January 21st, 2019), ThriveToScribe (May 18th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,716 Posts

It was three degrees out with a searing wind. Missed it.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brilliant Bill View Post

I suppose you either encounter the natural world with a sense of wonder...or you dont.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VertOlive For This Useful Post:

Empty_of_Clouds (January 21st, 2019), Lady Onogaro (January 23rd, 2019), Robert (January 21st, 2019)

Thanks

Missed it, sadly.

Woe is me.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

I went out with my daughters and a pair of binoculars. The clouds were far enough away to allow a clear enough view of the coppery orange moon.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KrazyIvan For This Useful Post:

Lady Onogaro (January 23rd, 2019), NibsForScript (January 22nd, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

Too snowy here. But that's good too.

When I look up at the moon in any condition I sometimes imagine how very far away it is and how a very few teeny tiny humans out of all that have lived journeyed across that empty gap inside a steel can to go land and walk on its surface.

Then I think about the dwarfing interplanetary distances of our solar system. And beyond that the next solar system, too far away for a person to visit in a lifetime. One of billions of stars in one of billions of galaxies.

The universe and all its wonders, stretches out to incomprehensible infinity, and we can only witness it in the arrival of photons to our retinas that began their journey, in some cases, before life even began on this sphere.

What if we are the only ones in all the universe to marvel at the cosmos, as we live out our tiny lives in the briefest flash of time among the delicate balance of life that clings tenaciously to this rock, twirling and hurtling through the black abyss?

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to azkid For This Useful Post:

Lady Onogaro (January 23rd, 2019), NibsForScript (January 23rd, 2019), ThriveToScribe (May 18th, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by azkid View Post
    What if we are the only ones in all the universe to marvel at the cosmos, as we live out our tiny lives in the briefest flash of time among the delicate balance of life that clings tenaciously to this rock, twirling and hurtling through the black abyss?
    I always suggest people read Brian Swimme's book, "The Universe Is a Green Dragon." Here's an excerpt...

We are the self-reflexion of the universe. The universe is aware of itself through self- reflexive mind, which unfurls in the human. We allow the universe to know and feel itself. The creative work of the supernovas existed for billions of years without self-reflexive awareness. That star could not, by itself, become aware of its own beauty or sacrifice. But the star can, through us, reflect back on itself. In a sense, you are the star. Look at your hand – do you claim it as your own? Every element was forged in temperatures a million times hotter than molten rock, each atom fashioned in the blazing heat of the star. Your eyes, your brain, your bones, all of you is composed of the star’s creations. You are that star, brought into a form of life that enables life to reflect on itself. So, yes: the star does know of its great work, of its surrender to allurement, of its stupendous contribution to life, but only through its further articulation – you.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Brilliant Bill For This Useful Post:

azkid (January 23rd, 2019), Lady Onogaro (January 23rd, 2019), NibsForScript (January 23rd, 2019)

Thanks

You know, because innocent posts hereabouts often become venomous, I'm withdrawing from my own thread. Fight it out among you.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,578 Times in 943 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VertOlive View Post
    You know, because innocent posts hereabouts often become venomous, I'm withdrawing from my own thread. Fight it out among you.
    A lot of people appreciated your enthusiasm and enjoyment in this thread. Don't withdraw. I appreciated it. It was a cool thing to see!

I remember how thrilled I was seeing the Hale-Bopp Comet when I was at Sundance for a conference many years ago. I still remember that night standing out on the deck with my friends (we were a humanities conference group having dinner there). Sundance had also set up a telescope for viewing it. It was beautiful to see, especially in such company.

Last year I was thrilled to see the Space Station pass overhead. So cool!
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lady Onogaro For This Useful Post:

AzJon (January 23rd, 2019), Sailor Kenshin (January 27th, 2019)

Thanks

Yeah! Don't go! Space stuff is the best stuff!

28. The Following User Says Thank You to AzJon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

It is sad to see when someone loses the wonder in it all. I have watched the night sky and it never gets old. I've seen all the planets, some while having the privilege to use very expensive equipment. I go back to my humble binoculars and it always amazes me. The incomprehensible vastness. The outer reaches of our observable universe are over 13 billion light years away. Looking that far you are litterally looking back in time. What lies beyond that? modern science would say nothing because the universe is that old. How do they now that for a fact if we cant see beyong that time frame? The questions just make me think of more questions. It is amazing!
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KrazyIvan For This Useful Post:

AzJon (January 27th, 2019), Lady Onogaro (January 29th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,386 Times in 587 Posts

I saw Hale-Bopp through a telescope, and it was amazing. Something else that I'll always remember is the first time I saw Saturn's rings through a telescope. Still gives me goose bumps. Wanted to watch the werewolf moon, but we had driving rain and cloud cover down to about 10 feet. (Okay, that was an exaggeration. It was at least 15 feet, probably more.)
    Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)

32. The Following User Says Thank You to calamus For This Useful Post:

Lady Onogaro (January 29th, 2019)

Thanks

It was clear skies in Ontario, Canada that night and I watched it through a pair of Steiner 12X50 Binoculars. I got news later some viewing thru telescope witnessed a lunar meteorite strike and recorded this event. I will spend some nights out with my Newtonian telescope when I can put up with the weather. Stargazing is always fun.
    Cheers,
    Thomas AKA VerticalTwin

34. The Following User Says Thank You to VerticalTwin For This Useful Post:

Lady Onogaro (January 29th, 2019)