Thread: Ink Review: Sailor Souboku pigmented ink

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Default Ink Review: Sailor Souboku pigmented ink

I’m reviewing the newly issued Sailor Souboku pigmented blue-black ink. From other sources I believe Sailor has now removed the hyphen, so I've written it as Souboku.

I started writing with a Lamy M nib, but found Souboku looked more saturated with my Parker 45 cursive italic nib. It’s a much more traditional shade of blue-black than Seiboku, and dried into a quite sombre blue-grey/black

Souboku has medium saturation and wasn’t so saturated that I couldn’t see any shading. It has some shading but not as much as Seiboku. Like Seiboku it can also occasionally exhibit some red sheen with wetter flowing nibs.

Flow was reasonably good, though felt dry. Lubrication across the page was smooth, but gave me more feedback with the same nibs that I had used for Seiboku. Lines were all very crisp with no signs of spread or feathering.

Souboku didn’t suffer from any hard starts or non-starts when I put the uncapped pen down to do swab tests, dry times and water resistance.

It exhibited show through and bleed through on my cheap Banner writing pad.

It dried within 18-20 seconds on the Clairefontaine Triomphe paper and didn’t smear after it was dry.

I didn't experience any clogging in my pens and saw no "crud" on the nib, but I didn't leave this ink in my pens for a long period of time.

Clean-up out of my pens and converters took much longer than normal, even longer than Seiboku, and I used warm water with a drop of liquid detergent added.
    However, it washed off of my hands with one wash.

I noticed that Souboku forms globules inside the sample vial and the converter whereas Seiboku coats the insides of both and covers them completely. Shaking Souboku simply makes more globules. Therefore, I would recommend not shaking pens that have converters filled with this ink, as it’s much more likely to get air bubbles down into the feed.

Another difference that I spotted between the two inks was when I was cleaning the pens in a sink of soapy water. Souboku cleaned off of the nib just while the section was lying in the water, but Seiboku had to physically be wiped off the nib before the nib came clean.

Souboku is waterproof, even under running water. However it caused small “spread” marks when I brushed through the water with a cotton bud.

Available in Sailor 50ml glass bottles.

Sailor Souboku.jpegSailor Souboku 1.jpeg
    Last edited by Chrissy; January 28th, 2019 at 05:06 AM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (January 22nd, 2019), aurore (January 25th, 2019), ceebert (August 30th, 2019), junglejim (January 21st, 2019), Marsilius (January 22nd, 2019), mhosea (January 21st, 2019), Sailor Kenshin (March 20th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Default Re: Ink Review: Sailor Souboku pigmented ink

I noticed the comparison to "Noodler's Randall." Is this the same as Nick Stewart's Randall "blue-black," and if so, is it a product of Noodler's?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (January 21st, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    I noticed the comparison to "Noodler's Randall." Is this the same as Nick Stewart's Randall "blue-black," and if so, is it a product of Noodler's?
    Sorry that's a mistake. I meant to check whose ink it was, as grainweevil kindly sent it to me as a sample lableled NS Randall, and I wrote Noodler's before checking it. It's Nick Stewart's Randall. I will try to change that.

Thanks Fred. Now Edited.
    Last edited by Chrissy; January 21st, 2019 at 11:20 AM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (January 22nd, 2019), FredRydr (January 21st, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    ...grainweevil kindly sent it to me as a sample lableled NS Randall...
    Not I - I knowest it not.

I'm one of those quaint folks who actually likes dry inks, so this has piqued my interest. Which is a shame, as I absolutely should not be acquiring any further blue-blacks! But thanks for the review, Chrissy.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grainweevil For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (January 21st, 2019), Chrissy (January 21st, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by grainweevil View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    ...grainweevil kindly sent it to me as a sample lableled NS Randall...
    Not I - I knowest it not.

I'm one of those quaint folks who actually likes dry inks, so this has piqued my interest. Which is a shame, as I absolutely should not be acquiring any further blue-blacks! But thanks for the review, Chrissy.
    Ouch, sorry again. That means I can't remember who sent me this sample. I'm not doing very well here tonight.

Anyway, eventually I rewrote the sample name as Nick Stewart, and rescanned the review form in again, then edited the original post. I think I'm there now unless I've done anything else wrong. Yes I found Souboku a dryer ink than Seiboku.

You're welcome.

Thanks

Here's a quick picture of the sample vials showing the difference between Seiboku and Souboku in the way that the former clings to the inside of the vial, and converters, whereas the latter forms globules instead. I took this photo even before I removed them from their small baggie.

Sailor Sei-Sou-boku 003.JPG