Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spoiler Alert: I lost it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 556 Posts

Default Spoiler Alert: I lost it.

So there I was all worried about making too much of an effort to safeguard my pens <"Comfort Zone">, and guess what I did on Saturday?

(BTW, it's Tuesday, 22 January 2019, local time 17:45ish.)

Miyako-fpn-clipless-carry-20190109.jpg

I clipped that pen sleeve with Kurouac (recently re-installed the Platinum UEF nib in it) onto a clip dangling from a lanyard and wore the lanyard around my neck (as people do)... and rode my bike to an appointment, where I used Kurouac for about an hour, and then pedalled away - went to a cafe, went to a couple of shops, went to another cafe, where I took off my scarf and jacket and sweater to find the lanyard... and where's my pen?

The answer to that question remains a mystery.

Yes, I retraced my bike route (approx. 10 km) and stops of course, but... after the initial shock of finding the pen sleeve and Kurouac gone!, I invoked Kerouac's #19: Accept loss forever. I "enjoyed" my latte before embarking on the search mission. I haven't lost a pen in a very long time, at least ten years, more like fifteen. And I noticed myself how calm I felt. Not that I didn't care; more like, but what can I do about it? It's gone. Oh well. As far as mishaps go, losing even a favorite and expensive fountain pen is fairly benign.

Thus, my SIX pens for the year challenge* has become FIVE pens for the year (similar to the One Pen For One Month challenge (over at FPN), with notable differences). Which means trying not to rotate in or out any pens for the duration of 2019. Inks okay to change.

The EDC line-up is:
    Pilot CH912 (PO), Noodler's Black
    Heki Nakaya Piccolo Cigar (NPC) (F), Noodler's Black
    UShu NPC (steel EF), KWŻ Flame Red
    Pilot Falcon (SEF), Noodler's Lexington Gray
    Sailor 1911S (H-EF), Sailor Blue-Black

I don't have concrete plans to buy any more pens, but if I do, I'm looking at Stylo Art or a Pilot 823 amber (if I can get one with a PO nib). But no rush. Other priorities, ya know.

So... what pen "disasters" have you experienced or averted lately?

Also, anyone else "challenging" themselves to use a particular pen(s) or ink(s) (or both) for a prescribed period of time?

*The Five Pens For the Year Challenge doesn't include all the "cheapies," which are filled with other ink colors that I use only sometimes.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ethernautrix For This Useful Post:

gylyf (January 23rd, 2019), Kaputnik (January 23rd, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,578 Times in 943 Posts

Default Re: Spoiler Alert: I lost it.

Oh, my goodness. I am sad about you loss, though. It was a beautiful pen!
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

Thanks
    Thanked 1,817 Times in 797 Posts

I'm sorry for your loss. I recently lost a M600 red Pelikan and, somehow, I felt the same as you describe: And I noticed myself how calm I felt. Not that I didn't care; more like, but what can I do about it? It's gone. Oh well. As far as mishaps go, losing even a favorite and expensive fountain pen is fairly benign.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,363 Times in 3,978 Posts

OMG That's so sad. I don't think I would have felt calm.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

Sorry to hear this, naturally, but your response and reaction don't come as the least surprise. Best wishes on however you choose to proceed.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ethernautrix View Post
    So... what pen "disasters" have you experienced or averted lately?
    Oh, I have a few, and I'd hate to bore anyone with repeat details. But...

$2,000 of vintage and modern pens (a fat handful of restored Waterman 52s, my favorite celluloid 146 with its wonderful nib, and more) had fallen onto the busy Rockville Pike and Strathmore Avenue from my motorcycle topcase that I neglected to latch shut. I discovered this nine miles from Bert Heiserman's Pen Haven as I was heading home. Two return trips along the same route were in vain as the sun began to set.

My faceted sterling silver Montegrappa Privilege that I left on the counter at the local post "disappeared" in about a minute.

A bag of celluloid-era Montblanc parts "vanished" from my vendor table at the Long Island Pen Show.

For the life of me, I cannot figure out where my Lamy 2000 ended up.

Oh, there are others. One mustn't become too attached to "stuff."
    Last edited by FredRydr; January 22nd, 2019 at 02:47 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

I think most members here are familiar with my tale of the first found then lost Sheaffer that was my only such adventure so far.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (January 22nd, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

So sorry that absolutely sucks.

I lost a Lamy Safari Petrol. I used it to make a checklist for a road trip, took it with me. Then... poof... ?

My worst disaster was attempting to disassemble a 30's (?) Osmia that was in really good condition... And it broke in half at the ink window. My most expensive pen purchase to date, too. But the nib on it was absolute crap so that tempered the loss a bit.

Thanks

I feel so bad about your pen!
    I can answer your two questions with the same pen: I have a Napoleon 18.
    When I received it I cleaned it thoroughly. I resort to soaking things that are stubborn sometimes.
    Well, the trim on the end of the barrel was made of casein. And it swelllllled ...! I had only briefly read snippets of information
    about that material beforehand - but it's amazing what your mind brings to the forefront in a situation like that. I thought, "Oh no, NOT Casein!"
    I am pretty sure that I had a mild heart attack because of it. However, it went back to normal two days later. I was extremely lucky.

Now, my challenge is to keep it written with regularly and inked at all times to keep the cork piston seal from drying out and causing a totally new disaster ...

Thanks

...also very sorry to hear your story. but really enjoy your "five pen challenge". when i am out and about i *usually* just take my oldest LAMY 2000 which has by now lost almost all its striations on the makrolon parts, filled with my fave grey ink. and, come to think of it, that's one of about 7 pens that i now use almost exclusively...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    I think most members here are familiar with my tale of the first found then lost Sheaffer that was my only such adventure so far.
    This is one of the neatest pen stories I've heard; too bad it didn't have a great ending.

Thanks

Nakaya! Nakaya! (in sad undervoice). My Nakayas are big - a desk pen and a 17mm - so they live on my desk. I'd love one adapted to carrying with me (I just ordered a pen roll, perhaps I will someday?) Anyway, I'm sorry about your lost pen. I admire your philosophic attitude!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 555 Posts

I dearly hope Kurouac finds you again. your attitude is great.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to manoeuver For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (January 22nd, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,642 Times in 1,129 Posts

Sorry for your loss. I doubt I would handle it with such equanimity.

Re the challenge: aiming for seven inked pens, the number of slots in a Dudek Stationer, not counting always-inked utility pens and eyedroppers. No limit on choice of pens or inks. So, not much of a challenge really. (Always have something easy to cross off your to-do list.)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 427 Posts

Oh gods, I'm so sad! I doubt I would have been as easy going about it as you, ethernautrix, especially with dear old Kurouac which you've had for such a long time. The underlayer uroshi must have been coming through with wear after all that time. My sympathies.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 786 Posts

I'm reminded of the old joke about people not actually buying beer, rather renting it. I would feel the loss keenly at first, I think, for several minutes at least. But then I would divide the cost of the pen by the number of months that I had owned it, and then I'd think about it as though I'd rented it for that much per month. I am merely not renting that item any longer. Being a mathematician, I can usually calculate some number or other that makes me feel at least a little better.
    --
    Mike

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mhosea For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (January 22nd, 2019), Jon Szanto (January 22nd, 2019), Lady Onogaro (January 23rd, 2019), manoeuver (January 23rd, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mhosea View Post
    I'm reminded of the old joke about people not actually buying beer, rather renting it.
    Well, at the end, the urge to be rid of it isn't quite the same.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

azkid (January 23rd, 2019), Kaputnik (January 24th, 2019), manoeuver (January 23rd, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 637 Posts

Since no one else said it, I will... It seems that Kerouac was lost "On the Road".

If there are any typos in this post, I blame Tapatalk!
    M: I came here for a good argument.
    A: No you didn't; no, you came here for an argument.
    M: An argument isn't just contradiction.
    A: It can be.
    M: No it can't. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.
    A: No it isn't.
    M: Yes it is! It's not just contradiction.
    A: Look, if I argue with you, I must take up a contrary position.
    M: Yes, but that's not just saying 'No it isn't.'
    A: Yes it is!
    M: No it isn't!

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lloyd For This Useful Post:

jacksterp (January 24th, 2019), jar (January 23rd, 2019), Jon Szanto (January 23rd, 2019), Lady Onogaro (January 23rd, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 556 Posts

Thank you all for your warm and kind words and sympathy - and for sharing your own stories. I'm reminded, also, of Dan Smith's loss when a thief stole his pen case (something like that -- luggage or just the baggage with pens in it, plus electronic gear, IIRC) a couple of years ago, just before entering the pen show. Gutting.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    Since no one else said it, I will... It seems that Kerouac was lost "On the Road".
    Hehe! Yeah, I joked about Kurouac and how the pen had fallen on the road, once in Kraków and, the following year, in Zamość. In Kraków, Kurouac slid out of the pen sleeve (the now lost pen sleeve (that Pendleton Brown gave me at the LA Pen Show 2012 or 2013) (sigh)) that was pinned to my camera strap when I lifted the camera (for the nthe time that day to take a picture. In Zamość, Kurouac was in the pen sleeve in the top compartment of my panniers on my bike rack. I hadn't zipped the compartment fully, and taking a turn to park my bike, Kurouac flew out of the pen sleeve and hit the road.

Now Wrocław. Third time's the charm, ay? That damned Kurouac always wanted to be on the road. I hope it's happy now. I hope whoever found the pen feels lucky and is using the pen with joy.

But I ain't in control of that, so... I'll pat myself on the back for not losing all six EDC pens. "Way to go, etherX! Keep most of your pens!" *Clap, clap, clap*

26. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ethernautrix For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (January 23rd, 2019), inklord (January 25th, 2019), jar (January 23rd, 2019), Jon Szanto (January 23rd, 2019), Kaputnik (January 24th, 2019), Lloyd (January 23rd, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 695 Posts

I sympathize, I really do, but what can I say that others haven't said?

My own stories would be less interesting, and involve less interesting pens. I did once drop a favorite ballpoint (just a Parker Jotter) in a snow covered parking lot, and eventually gave up. It turned up in the Spring, in the grass at the edge of the lot, scratched, but otherwise in very good condition.

Other stories involve mislaying parts of pens, such as the barrel for a pen that I was refilling yesterday which only turned up today. The solution to the mystery is one that I'll keep to myself.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your story, and may you enjoy the remaining pens without giving up all hope on your road pen.
    "If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly."
    G.K. Chesterton