Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So, for which things do you use your pens? And how much do you write?

Thanks

Default So, for which things do you use your pens? And how much do you write?

I am trying to write much more and thus using my pens more. To get some inspiration: for which things do you use your pens? Just for specific things or are you an all-rounder? And do you write much/a lot?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Nerdyhistorian For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (January 24th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,476 Times in 1,742 Posts

Default Re: So, for which things do you use your pens? And how much do you write?

1. Writing, sketching.

2. All-rounder.

3. Yup. Letters, lists, journals, fiction, poetry, nonfiction, notes, thinks.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

Lady Onogaro (January 25th, 2019)

Thanks

Default Re: So, for which things do you use your pens? And how much do you write?

Quote Originally Posted by Nerdyhistorian View Post
    I am trying to write much more and thus using my pens more. To get some inspiration: for which things do you use your pens? Just for specific things or are you an all-rounder? And do you write much/a lot?
    Honestly, this seems the wrong way around. If you want to buy something for the fun of it, do it. If you want to do something because you enjoy the doing, do it. But doing something just because you bought the tool seems like a joyless waste of time. Time isn't an infinite resource. Spend it doing either what's most useful or enjoyable at any one time. If you want to write or draw because the activities appeal to you, then do that - and then choose the most effective tools, not the pens you already bought.

...I hand write thousands of words every week and type thousands more. It's work and I find it satisfying, and I chose my tools carefully to be the best for the purpose - a Filco mechanical keyboard with Cherry Brown MX switches and dampers, extremely custom emacs install, and a Kakuno F nib (it beat out every other pen I auditioned - even the Triumph nib Sheaffers and my Danitrio Raw) and custom printed paper. Typing something just because I have a good keyboard, no. Not even if I get around to buying that Topres with electrocapacitive switches. Ditto for pens.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ilikenails For This Useful Post:

Kaputnik (January 24th, 2019), Lloyd (January 24th, 2019), Wuddus (January 26th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,425 Times in 2,518 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ilikenails View Post
    ...I chose my tools carefully to be the best for the purpose - a Filco mechanical keyboard with Cherry Brown MX switches and dampers....
    Mechanical keyboard? That's not a mechanical keyboard! This is a mechanical keyboard:

IMG_3229.jpg

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

AzJon (January 24th, 2019), azkid (January 31st, 2019), inklord (January 25th, 2019), Kaputnik (January 24th, 2019), Lady Onogaro (January 25th, 2019), Morgaine (January 31st, 2019), Sailor Kenshin (January 24th, 2019), VertOlive (January 24th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,588 Times in 699 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nerdyhistorian View Post

Honestly, this seems the wrong way around. If you want to buy something for the fun of it, do it. If you want to do something because you enjoy the doing, do it. But doing something just because you bought the tool seems like a joyless waste of time...
    I''d agree that a good starting point is wanting to write for the sake of writing. Using better tools (fountain pens rather than ballpoints) may help you enjoy the process more, and perhaps write more as a result, but I don't know that that's an end in itself. Then again, for some it may be something to pursue for its own sake.

As for what I write, fountain pens have become my primary writing instrument over the past eight years or so. I use them at work for most of what I write by hand. My work notebook of technical notes is all in fountain pen. Quick jottings which won't be saved may be in either FP or pencil, usually a mechanical pencil.

I keep a journal, rarely missing a day's entry, and generally writing at least a couple of pages, often considerably more. Since I don''t want to binge on too much introspection, and since there isn't always anything interesting to record about my own activities, I use it to record interesting things that I learn, and muse about the events of the day.

I have one little notebook with alphabetized tabs that I didn't know what else to do with, so I've made it my private glossary for new words that I learn.

There have been some stalled efforts at producing publishable fiction, but so far they are all at the notebook stage, and I haven't worked on "my book" for a while.

I never learned to draw, and am now trying to teach myself through books and of course, practice. I prefer to use pencils for this, but at least one of the beginner books has me using pen for some purposes. It recommends gel pens, and that's actually what I've been doing, but I have tried my FPs as well, and may return to them as I get more confident.
    "If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly."
    G.K. Chesterton

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kaputnik For This Useful Post:

NibsForScript (January 24th, 2019), Pterodactylus (January 24th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,697 Posts

In my work I have no need to write a word with a FP (I have an IT job).

But I use every excuse to write or scribble with my FPs.
    E.g. scribbling or writing random words during (boring) telcos, to take notes (that I could do also digital), to help to visualize problems I´m working on.....
    writing shopping lists, posts for FPGeeks, sketching, drawing, writing just for fun or to improve....

Ok, you got me, I´ve way too many FPˋs for what I write......but I donˋt care, I like my pens even most of them are quite a long time in their storage before I use them again..... It’s luxury to be able to choose from many options.

... I don´t feel guilty (and will not share my pens with others which have less or none)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Pterodactylus For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (January 24th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,697 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kaputnik View Post

Honestly, this seems the wrong way around. If you want to buy something for the fun of it, do it. If you want to do something because you enjoy the doing, do it. But doing something just because you bought the tool seems like a joyless waste of time...
    I''d agree that a good starting point is wanting to write for the sake of writing. Using better tools (fountain pens rather than ballpoints) may help you enjoy the process more, and perhaps write more as a result, but I don't know that that's an end in itself. Then again, for some it may be something to pursue for its own sake.

As for what I write, fountain pens have become my primary writing instrument over the past eight years or so. I use them at work for most of what I write by hand. My work notebook of technical notes is all in fountain pen. Quick jottings which won't be saved may be in either FP or pencil, usually a mechanical pencil.

I keep a journal, rarely missing a day's entry, and generally writing at least a couple of pages, often considerably more. Since I don''t want to binge on too much introspection, and since there isn't always anything interesting to record about my own activities, I use it to record interesting things that I learn, and muse about the events of the day.

I have one little notebook with alphabetized tabs that I didn't know what else to do with, so I've made it my private glossary for new words that I learn.

There have been some stalled efforts at producing publishable fiction, but so far they are all at the notebook stage, and I haven't worked on "my book" for a while.

I never learned to draw, and am now trying to teach myself through books and of course, practice. I prefer to use pencils for this, but at least one of the beginner books has me using pen for some purposes. It recommends gel pens, and that's actually what I've been doing, but I have tried my FPs as well, and may return to them as I get more confident.
    Good to know!

But where are your drawings in the Art and Calligraphy Forum?

I want to see them!

As you might know I started drawing the same way a couple of years ago at FPN, first I wrote posts, then I started to add scribbles to it, at the end I ended writing much less and drawing mainly.

.... this can be an addictive process.

... and an expensive one too......

First I bought a lot of FP because of the writing.....
    ..... then I bought a lot of art supplies(tools and materials) because of the drawing .....

Thanks

1. Writing letters and notes to people.

Also for taking notes during appointments, jotting down things that come up that I want to remember, some drawing, and filling out forms.

2. All-rounder.

3. A lot. Writing letters and notes is my main way to communicate with people. And I keep journals.

Keep using your pens.
    Bob

Making the world a more peaceful place, one fine art print and one handwritten letter at a time.

“If ‘To hold a pen is to be at war’ as Voltaire said, Montblanc suggests you show up in full dress uniform, ready to go down like an officer and a gentleman among the Bic-wielding hordes.” - Chris Wright

Paper cuts through the noise – Richard Moross, MOO CEO

www.bobsoltys.net/fountainpens

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlkWhiteFilmPix For This Useful Post:

Morgaine (January 31st, 2019), NibsForScript (January 24th, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pterodactylus View Post
    In my work I have no need to write a word with a FP (I have an IT job).

But I use every excuse to write or scribble with my FPs.
    E.g. scribbling or writing random words during (boring) telcos, to take notes (that I could do also digital), to help to visualize problems I´m working on.....
    writing shopping lists, posts for FPGeeks, sketching, drawing, writing just for fun or to improve....

Ok, you got me, I´ve way too many FPˋs for what I write......but I donˋt care, I like my pens even most of them are quite a long time in their storage before I use them again..... It’s luxury to be able to choose from many options.

... I don´t feel guilty (and will not share my pens with others which have less or none)
    Yeah, I studied IT and while I am now working as a sort of secretary, my job is quite digital and most of my hobbies are digital as well. I like writing on paper, it just quite difficult to find opportunities... I do keep a journal and also a bulletjournal at work for which I use my pens. If I need to take notes during a meeting I use a pen,

Maybe I am overcomplicating it in my head :P But it is still fun to read what others do.

Thanks

Having pens is not the reason I write. I write a lot and so I need fountain pens to keep from getting hand cramps and writer's calluses.

I keep several journals going at once, different books for different subjects. In summer, when I am busy gardening and taking canoe trips, I write ideas in a pocket notebook. In winter, I take the ideas of summer and write entries for the journals. A journal entry usually goes through several edits and drafts before a fair copy is made in the journal book with permanent ink. Then, I am likely to pound it into my computer and share it with friends. When friends and relatives come to our house for visits, they are free to browse my journal collection. If they can't read my cursive chicken scratchin' they can watch the boob tube.

Examples: I played music with a string band for 28 years. We probably averaged 20 gigs per year. They are all described in a stack of journal books. I played with a Celtic string band for 10 years. Ditto those gigs.
    There are stacks of canoe trip journals, cat journals, gardening journals, miscellaneous rants and observations.

To me, a pen is a tool. In my opinion, the best of those tools were made in the '40s and '50s and those are the ones I keep in my hoard.
    "Nothing is enough for the man to whom enough is too little." -Epicurus-

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Paddler For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (January 28th, 2019), carlos.q (January 24th, 2019), Lady Onogaro (January 25th, 2019), NibsForScript (January 24th, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    This is a mechanical keyboard:
    And it's completely gorgeous. I'd be very tempted to collect typewriters if I had room...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,941 Times in 846 Posts

All my blog posts are drafted with a fountain pen in a notebook.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

Thanks

I’ve completely switched over to fountain pens, so they’re definitely all-rounders. Over the years I had transitioned to doing most of my work on a computer, but in 2017 I re-taught myself cursive after a 30-year hiatus. I switched to handwriting all my notes for work, initially just as an excuse to practice my cursive and improve my handwriting. I found that I enjoyed all the extra time I was getting with my FPs so I never stopped.

Now I hand write pretty much everything (except legal documents and emails) and later type it all up. Yes, it’s twice the work, but it makes the work more pleasurable. And that’s not including all the cognitive benefits that handwriting purportedly provides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 1,647 Posts

I use my pens for daily journaling (including doodles) and for extensive pen pal correspondence.

I've never used them for work either in the lab or the morgue and funeral home mainly because I have to use horrible paper in those arenas and I can't stand the feathering and breaking nibs on triplicate forms-- those are ballpoint duties.

I use nice mechanical pencils for bookkeeping and Latin study--because erasers.
    Last edited by VertOlive; January 24th, 2019 at 09:46 PM.
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

23. The Following User Says Thank You to VertOlive For This Useful Post:

Lady Onogaro (January 25th, 2019)

Thanks

Mostly grocery lists.

But also pen pals.

I also tend to plot out D&D plots, characters, maps, etc. in draft because the pen is what I have on hand when an idea pops into my head.

Sometimes I just fill a page with ribbons to watch the ink dry.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to AzJon For This Useful Post:

Morgaine (January 31st, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,714 Times in 1,973 Posts

Sketching, like this one I just did tonight:

- Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

27. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

AzJon (January 25th, 2019), Kaputnik (January 25th, 2019), Lady Onogaro (January 25th, 2019), Pterodactylus (January 24th, 2019), Sailor Kenshin (January 26th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 805 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VertOlive View Post
    I've never used them for work either in the lab or the morgue and funeral home mainly because I have to use horrible paper in those arenas and I can't stand the feathering and breaking nibs on triplicate forms-- those are ballpoint duties.
    I believe the universe must be whispering in your ear: "You need a vintage Pelikan with a nice DEF nib and some IG ink."

Or maybe an Esterbrook with a 9461 fine manifold nib and some Noodler's black....
    Last edited by carlos.q; January 25th, 2019 at 04:20 AM.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to carlos.q For This Useful Post:

azkid (January 31st, 2019)

Thanks

fountain pens are primarily tools, not a hobby. any hand writing on paper can be done with a fountain pen. it's just a matter of the right nib and ink combination. a Pilot Metropolitan in 'fine' and some IG ink (as suggested above by carlos.q) will do. that's a year's worth of writing on any paper for around $30...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,588 Times in 699 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pterodactylus View Post
    ...But where are your drawings in the Art and Calligraphy Forum?

I want to see them!

As you might know I started drawing the same way a couple of years ago at FPN, first I wrote posts, then I started to add scribbles to it, at the end I ended writing much less and drawing mainly.

.... this can be an addictive process.

... and an expensive one too......

First I bought a lot of FP because of the writing.....
    ..... then I bought a lot of art supplies(tools and materials) because of the drawing .....
    I've just spent some time enjoying your work in the Art and Calligraphy forum.

As for myself, if I end up producing anything that seems worth sharing publicly, I will. I'm far from being there yet. But the nice thing about being at the bottom is that you can only go up.
    "If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly."
    G.K. Chesterton

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaputnik For This Useful Post:

Pterodactylus (January 25th, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    Sketching, like this one I just did tonight:

That looks just like my Leica 3G.
    "Nothing is enough for the man to whom enough is too little." -Epicurus-