Thread: Scored some very cool onion skin paper

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,394 Times in 588 Posts

Default Scored some very cool onion skin paper

I just received some onion skin paper I bought on eBay. "Vintage" onion skin, because it turns out they don't make it any more. (Actually, there's one place that's started making what they're calling onion skin, but I've seen more than a few reviewers say it's not the same. I haven't tried any myself, but according to the advertising, it's 100% wood fiber, and since the old stuff was usually about 25% cotton, I don't see how it could be the same.)

The paper that just arrived has a watermark — the logo of the old Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad. That makes the paper extra cool. I'm posting a photo of the watermark below. That big fat thing is my thumb, for scale.

It's beautiful paper for writing on in fountain pen. It's thinner than Tomoe River, I'm pretty sure, and you can only write on one side because it's translucent, almost gossamer-like. But the surface is great, takes ink like a dream with no feathering whatsoever. And ink dries faster on it than on slick, coated paper.

I didn't even know that they stopped making onion skin paper until I tried to buy some. Used to be you could find it in every stationer's and just about every drug store you walked into. I never dreamed it would go away. It's almost like one day you go to the store to buy a pencil, only to discover they've stopped making them, but you could still buy a #2 Ticonderoga on eBay for $8 or $10. Of course the eraser might be hard as a rock, but hey...

Anyway, here's the watermark:

Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to calamus For This Useful Post:

amk (January 27th, 2019), AzJon (January 26th, 2019), azkid (January 30th, 2019), ethernautrix (January 27th, 2019), KKay (February 3rd, 2019), Lady Onogaro (January 26th, 2019), NibsForScript (March 28th, 2019), penwash (January 26th, 2019), Robert (January 26th, 2019), Sailor Kenshin (January 27th, 2019)