Thread: Pen Won't Write Without Pressure

Thanks

Default Pen Won't Write Without Pressure

I have a custom pen that I won in a drawing that I believe uses a Jowo nib and it doesn't put ink on the page unless I press down harder than should be necessary. In the past, I have had a Conklin or Monteverde pen that did the same thing, and I sent it back under warranty for repair, but I'm wondering if this is an issue that I can fix myself?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

Default Re: Pen Won't Write Without Pressure

What ink are you using? Maybe try something that flows wetter like Pilot Black or Iroshizuku Take-sumi or Quink Black.

If that doesn't help the nib may need minor adjustment. Goulet Pens has a tutorial.

Thanks

Maybe. It really depends on what’s causing the problem. The times could be too close together; that’s a relatively easy fix. It could have baby’s bottom; that can be fixed DIY, but may put some outside of their comfort zone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

I should have mentioned:

If it has hard starting problems (test with printed letters) that can sometimes be remedied with ink, thorough flushing, and/or ultrasonic nib cleaning but can also be due to baby's bottom. Best to start with non-destructive fixes, though.

(I lack the skill to consistently succeed with nib grinding so I only practice it on really cheap pens).

Thanks

Thanks for the replies. I'll have to do trial and error. If this doesn't work, I guess I can order a new nib unit.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 Times in 562 Posts

The first thing I do in this situation after thorough cleaning is to shim the nib with a thin piece of brass plate. It is usually sufficient to run it between the tines and between the nib and feed. What this does is to ensure the gaps are just right for capillary action.

Edit: Flossing and shimming a nib needs .005 brass sheet which can be gotten from many hobby shops, or Goulet sell it specifically for this purpose.
    Last edited by Scrawler; February 5th, 2019 at 03:54 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Scrawler For This Useful Post:

hilasmos (February 5th, 2019)

Thanks

From my experience, ink, paper, flossing, flushing, etc. rarely helps with issues like this. It is definitely best you first try such easy remedies, but the problem is probably the infamous “baby’s bottom”, which requires nib tuning. The problem is really so prevalent, even with very expensive pens, that I simply learned how to fix the issue myself. The 10€ I spent on the tools and ~15 hours invested in practice has paid off, but I wish it wasn’t necessary.

Questions you could answer that would help:
    Is the nib very smooth?
    Is there a difference in smoothness, or is there a drag or grindy kind of feeling, if you write with the nib up/down, down/up, left/right, right/left?
    Which direction does the nib hard start? In any, or just downstrokes, upstrokes, sidestrokes?
    If you put five dots on the paper one next to the other with little to no pressure, does the pen write all five of them?
    Do you have a loupe with which you could take a closer look at the nib? A 10x-20x loupe would be enough.

Edit: when doing these tests, nib must have an unsaturated feed (i.e. not dipped, but inked up and feed dried from inking).

The problem with buying another nib is that you just might get another nib that has problems.
    Last edited by adhoc; February 6th, 2019 at 02:16 AM.