Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Mystery Ink #24

Thanks
    Thanked 1,175 Times in 698 Posts

Default Re: Mystery Ink #24

I only have a few "burgundy/dark red" inks, so here are some comparison inks. Obviously none match the color of our Mystery Ink #24. This ink does remind me of another ink which I have used. Like this ink, it has a different feel on different papers - some papers it feels silky on others a bit drier. Yet it behaves well and has a bit of water resistance like our Mystery Ink. Most of all it seems as though it is close in color. So, I will throw out my wild guess - Diamine Burgundy Royale.
    Last edited by DrPenfection; March 21st, 2019 at 02:35 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DrPenfection For This Useful Post:

azkid (March 21st, 2019), KKay (May 22nd, 2019), Scooby921 (March 22nd, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DrPenfection View Post
    I will throw out my wild guess - Diamine Burgundy Royale.
    Sorry DrPen, that guess is not going to be correct. Azkid's earlier quote was "I think there's at least a fair chance you haven't tried this one, Chrissy. It is a little hard to keep track of the eleventy-gagillion inks you have tried so I might be wrong."

He knows I've tried and reviewed Burgundy Royale, as well as almost all of Diamine's inks. My guess is that MI#24 is not a Diamine ink as we know it. Maybe it's just about possible it might be made by Diamine for someone else, but probably unlikely.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

azkid (March 21st, 2019), DrPenfection (March 21st, 2019)

Thanks

Then there's no hope!

I did forget that Azkid said that. Since I only have about 150 inks, that will leave me out.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DrPenfection For This Useful Post:

azkid (March 21st, 2019), Chrissy (March 21st, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

As an aside, in case anyone was curious, I have been experimenting to reproduce the problem of leaky vials. I had shipped off the inks during one of our sub-freezing cold snaps and suspected that contributed.

My test vial didn't leak when just sitting around on its side all day.

However, when placed in the freezer and then thawed, ink seeped out. I performed this test twice with two vials and both times they leaked. This, despite my tightening the cap as tight as I could manage by hand.

Test 1

Test 2

A different brand of vials arrived in the mail today. These vials have o-rings in the caps. I have a feeling they will perform much better in my testing.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to azkid For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (March 21st, 2019), DrPenfection (March 22nd, 2019), suzy01 (March 22nd, 2019)

Thanks

Sample vials with O-rings inside the caps sound like a very good product. I'm not sure I've seen these before. Do they have a brand name? Or where can they be purchased?

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

DrPenfection (March 22nd, 2019), suzy01 (March 22nd, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Sample vials with O-rings inside the caps sound like a very good product. I'm not sure I've seen these before. Do they have a brand name? Or where can they be purchased?
    Most of the sample vials you received from me have a small silicone seal in the cap.

These are the ones I used:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Scooby921 For This Useful Post:

azkid (March 22nd, 2019), Chrissy (March 22nd, 2019), DrPenfection (March 22nd, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby921 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Most of the sample vials you received from me have a small silicone seal in the cap.

Yes they do. I had never checked them before. Thanks.

Thanks

So.....what is it?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,716 Posts

So.....what is it?
    Whatever it is, I like it.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 237 Posts

Oh, mine that I got from ebay have that as well. I'd never have looked!

Thanks

Wow. I pulled this out again tonight to put it down next to some similar inks and I’m shocked by how much darker it’s become since I first inked it up. On first use it had a lot of pink/magenta in it and it was very reminiscent of a magenta-ish Edelstein Ruby. Tonight I decided to compare it directly to Ruby and GvFC Garnet Red (my go-to dark red) and I can’t believe how differently it now appears. It didn’t smell like an IG when I uncapped the vial, so now I’m at a bit of a loss. I was indifferent to this ink initially but now I’m really digging it.

As an aside, I’m also a little shocked at how Ruby and Garnet—inks which seem vastly different individually—are so similar when placed side by side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kulprit For This Useful Post:

KKay (May 22nd, 2019), Sailor Kenshin (March 27th, 2019), Scooby921 (March 27th, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kulprit View Post
    Wow. I pulled this out again tonight to put it down next to some similar inks and I’m shocked by how much darker it’s become since I first inked it up. On first use it had a lot of pink/magenta in it and it was very reminiscent of a magenta-ish Edelstein Ruby. Tonight I decided to compare it directly to Ruby and GvFC Garnet Red (my go-to dark red) and I can’t believe how differently it now appears. It didn’t smell like an IG when I uncapped the vial, so now I’m at a bit of a loss. I was indifferent to this ink initially but now I’m really digging it.

As an aside, I’m also a little shocked at how Ruby and Garnet—inks which seem vastly different individually—are so similar when placed side by side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That looks exactly how mine did when I wrote with it last night I thought something went wrong with the ink but it has steadily been getting darker.

I'm cleaning out my medium nib cross to test it in that pen since I used a fine point for my writing test so I'm very interested to see how the color starts in the cross and how it changes.

Thanks
    Mreeveshp

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

Thanks

So yeah...wow. When using it here and there every day and always using it on a new sheet or for a new note you get used to the darkening color over time. When you go back to an old sheet and early scribbles with this ink it's a significant change.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Scooby921 For This Useful Post:

KKay (May 22nd, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 237 Posts

Mine's currently no darker than it was on the 17th.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

I will check mine but wow that darkening is really interesting.

But anyway... It is time for the reveal...

I found this ink before picking up the MI series and was interested for a few reasons. First, I like dark red inks, second I like inks that cost $7 / 30ml — or $6 for a 12 pack of international short cartridges. Lastly, it is from a local seller here in the Denver area.

When selecting for MI#24, I thought it would be fun for folks to get a little something from my home state, even if the ink itself is made in Germany by an unknown manufacturer.

As a bonus, it seemed unlikely that anyone had tried it, unless it is a known ink that has been rebranded. I am extremely curious to know which ink Chrissy found with the same chromatography results.

You can get this ink on ebay along with others from the series in the basic colors. And although the Mile High City is not known for vineyards, Colorado does produce wines, and the brand, 5280, produces this ink:

5280 Vineyard Burgundy Red.

The bottles come unlabeled so I made a crummy label for it.

This has been a really fun MI for me, leaked ink aside, and I am glad the ink isn't a total dud.

Stay tuned for MI#25 coming soon.

By the way, I will resend a few more ml of #25 to to my overseas friends once I have selected a more reliable method of bottling and sealing.

24. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to azkid For This Useful Post:

KKay (May 22nd, 2019), Kulprit (March 27th, 2019), Pterodactylus (March 27th, 2019), Sailor Kenshin (March 27th, 2019), Scooby921 (March 27th, 2019), Voiren (March 27th, 2019)

Thanks

Hmmm...I suspect this is the former Paraside Pen Co. Vineyard Burgundy. I happen to have a bottle, though I forgot about it until reading the reveal. Must be buried in the cabinet as I didn't see it when looking over my reds. I guess a comparison is in order to see if it is exactly the same.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Scooby921 For This Useful Post:

azkid (March 27th, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by azkid View Post
    I will check mine but wow that darkening is really interesting.

But anyway... It is time for the reveal...

I found this ink before picking up the MI series and was interested for a few reasons. First, I like dark red inks, second I like inks that cost $7 / 30ml — or $6 for a 12 pack of international short cartridges. Lastly, it is from a local seller here in the Denver area.

When selecting for MI#24, I thought it would be fun for folks to get a little something from my home state, even if the ink itself is made in Germany by an unknown manufacturer.

As a bonus, it seemed unlikely that anyone had tried it, unless it is a known ink that has been rebranded. I am extremely curious to know which ink Chrissy found with the same chromatography results.

You can get this ink on ebay along with others from the series in the basic colors. And although the Mile High City is not known for vineyards, Colorado does produce wines, and the brand, 5280, produces this ink:

5280 Vineyard Burgundy Red.

The bottles come unlabeled so I made a crummy label for it.

This has been a really fun MI for me, leaked ink aside, and I am glad the ink isn't a total dud.

Stay tuned for MI#25 coming soon.

By the way, I will resend a few more ml of #25 to to my overseas friends once I have selected a more reliable method of bottling and sealing.
    Thank you Azkid, that is a very nice ink and one that I would be very pleased to own. How interesting that it was made in Germany, as the ink I found to have a very similar chroma was a Montblanc ink: Shakespeare. Not one that is known for having the pinkish overtones. However, that ink is made in Austria. I think maybe the bottle shape of Vineyard Burgundy might remind all of us of another well known German ink maker..... Kulprit already mentioned that it reminded him of Pelikan Edelstein Ruby. I might have a small sample of that ink that I can test.....
    Last edited by Chrissy; March 27th, 2019 at 09:44 AM.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

azkid (March 27th, 2019), DrPenfection (March 27th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,716 Posts

I like that it comes in Pelikan/Kaweco bottles!

Never heard of this ink, never would have guessed it, but I really like it. Thanks, AZ, for carrying this mystery forward.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

azkid (March 27th, 2019), KKay (May 22nd, 2019)

Thanks

I never would have guessed this. Interesting name. Actually, I thought that the 5280 brand name was part of American Pen Company which is part of Colorado Pen. But I think 5280 may be different. I have never tried their pens, or American Pens for that matter.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to DrPenfection For This Useful Post:

azkid (March 28th, 2019)

Thanks

Here is my bottle of Paradise Pen Vineyard Burgundy

And here is some q-tip swipes compared to MI #24. Ignore the swipes down the middle. I hadn't shaken the bottle of Vineyard Burgundy and it's been in my ink cabinet since 2016. It settled a bit.

If this is indeed the continuation of PP Vineyard Burgundy it makes me very happy. Wonderful ink and I thought it had died with Paradise Pen.

34. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Scooby921 For This Useful Post:

azkid (March 28th, 2019), Chrissy (March 28th, 2019), DrPenfection (March 28th, 2019), KKay (May 22nd, 2019), Sailor Kenshin (March 28th, 2019)