Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mystery Ink #24

Thanks
    Thanked 1,175 Times in 698 Posts

Default Re: Mystery Ink #24

Water Resistance

I soaked the right side of the sheet in water for 1 minute. There is some water resistance to this ink leaving a very readable line but, as expected, the color does soak through which might leave any writing on the back page unreadable.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by DrPenfection; March 9th, 2019 at 05:54 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DrPenfection For This Useful Post:

azkid (March 9th, 2019), KKay (March 15th, 2019), Scooby921 (March 13th, 2019)

Thanks

My mystery ink arrived yesterday. I haven't had a chance to put it in a pen yet, but I sadly must report that mine has also leaked. Still more than enough in the vial to fill a pen though.

I wonder if it has anything to do with altitude. The air (pressure) is thinner in Colorado than it is down here near sea level in Michigan. I wonder if the pressure change had anything to do with it. It's also cold, so there is potential for the packages to freeze. I know a few people had issues with the mystery inks that I shipped out, but it didn't seem to occur until the temps went down in November/December.

I will get a pen inked up this evening so I can play with it at work tomorrow.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Scooby921 For This Useful Post:

azkid (March 10th, 2019)

Thanks

Happily, I was able to recover most of the ink. The vast majority stayed contained in the bag and I was able to squeeze it all down to one corner and suck it out with a syringe.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Scooby921 For This Useful Post:

azkid (March 11th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,368 Times in 3,979 Posts

Sadly all of my ink samples have leaked too. On two of them I can't distinguish the number on the label on the cap. However, there is only one red ink so I'm banking on that one being MI#24.

Mystery Ink Samples_0001.JPGMystery Ink Samples_0005.JPG
    Last edited by Chrissy; March 11th, 2019 at 10:41 AM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

DrPenfection (March 11th, 2019), KKay (March 15th, 2019), suzy01 (March 11th, 2019)

Thanks

Sadly mine looked the same. I'm going to wait until I can get some gloves to try and see the labels thou.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

10. The Following User Says Thank You to suzy01 For This Useful Post:

DrPenfection (March 11th, 2019)

Thanks

I put on my gloves and sorted all of mine out at the same time. By process of elimination, and magnifying glass I also worked out which inks are what numbers.

I can confirm that only one ink stained the sink slightly and that stain came off with some Astonish. So no Baystate Blue in there.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

azkid (March 11th, 2019), DrPenfection (March 11th, 2019), KKay (March 15th, 2019), suzy01 (March 11th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 237 Posts

Woo, my inks are here! It looks like mine leaked less than Chrissy's - they just splodged a bit inside the bags and the majority remained in the vials.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Voiren For This Useful Post:

azkid (March 11th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

So basically every vial leaked. Lovely.

Does anyone need more ink for this round? I can send more when I get back at the end of the week.
    Last edited by azkid; March 11th, 2019 at 09:19 PM.

Thanks

I did what Scooby did and syringed mine out of one corner of the bag. Then squirted it into the converter. So I have some inside the pen hopefully soaking the feed.
    I like the look of it because it's dark red. Instant favourite.

Azkid, sadly I noticed that none of the caps on my sample vials were on tight. They could all be screwed round much tighter. Once I cleaned the tops and outer surfaces of the vials, and the caps, and tightened them like I usually tighten vial caps, I could shake the vials and ink didn't come out.

When I'm sending out ink in bottles or vials, I tighten the caps so much I sometimes wonder if anyone will ever get the cap off. Then I tighten them again. Just to make sure. Then if I think one might need tape as an additional safety net, I make sure I'm pulling it on clockwise like the cap so if it stretches, it has to pull the cap tighter rather than trying to pull it anti-clockwise.

Your sample vials have what I call "dry feeling threads" on the vials and inside the caps, so when capping them they don't feel as smooth as some others might do. With those "dry feeling" vials I always rub my fingers around the threads a couple of times before screwing on the caps, so that means I can get them on tighter.

This is meant to be helpful rather than sounding ungrateful.
    Last edited by Chrissy; March 12th, 2019 at 01:21 AM.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

azkid (March 12th, 2019), suzy01 (March 12th, 2019)

Thanks

MI#24 is a nice dark red ink. My sort of colour. So I am very pleased that I got to sample it. Azkid. I couldn't help but wonder if I should know what it is, as I have tried many inks in this colour range.

Whatever it is it gets my vote.

MI#24_0002.JPG
    Last edited by Chrissy; March 12th, 2019 at 05:13 AM.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

DrPenfection (March 12th, 2019), KKay (March 15th, 2019), Scooby921 (March 13th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

Thanks for the vial tips—duly noted. I had no idea they could be (or needed to be) tightened so much.

I like the nice dark shades you're getting. I did see shading but the ink wasn't quite as dark for me in the two pens I used—a Wing Sung 3001 in 0.38mm (like a Metropolitan fine) and a Balance Junior with a slightly CI that is maybe almost a medium.

I'm glad someone tried the water test. The last few reds I have tried vanish without a trace in water. Glad to see this one leaves a little something behind.

I think there's at least a fair chance you haven't tried this one, Chrissy. It is a little hard to keep track of the eleventy-gagillion inks you have tried so I might be wrong.

I didn't pick it specifically to stump Chrissy. I had been curious about it for a few months.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to azkid For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (March 13th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,697 Posts

Unfortunately I did not received mine yet, maybe it is hold at customs as it also leaked and they have to make sure itˋs not biohazard or a colorful chemical bomb.

Looking forward to get it to participate also.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Pterodactylus For This Useful Post:

azkid (March 12th, 2019)

Thanks

Here is a preliminary investigation. I should try to get a photo in daylight because the lightest shade here is just a tad too pink. The ink splat is from the eyedropper. It has a little bit of green sheen but is really not doing much. This is 68gsm Tomoe River.

IMG_20190312_230157_edit.jpg

25. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Voiren For This Useful Post:

azkid (March 12th, 2019), DrPenfection (March 12th, 2019), KKay (March 15th, 2019), Sailor Kenshin (March 14th, 2019), Scooby921 (March 13th, 2019), suzy01 (March 13th, 2019)

Thanks

Today I received the package, thanks again azkid for hosting the game for us.

Unfortunately already the outside of the package was not a good sign.
    When I opened the package unfortunately the picture was quite bad, most of the ink were gone.

This was the rest I was able to recover.

Mystery Ink remainings by Ptero Ptero

MI#24 and MI#28 are gone almost completely.

I took the remainings of MI#24 and filled it with a syringe to a converter (itīs too less to suck it into a piston filler), but at the end I had almost 2 thirds if a converter filled

I now start to prepare something, stay tuned

Thanks

Ok, here we go.

This is my first sketch with MI#24.
    Unfortunately this will also be my last sketch with this ink, as I used up almost all the remaining ink for this sketch

The ink behaves quite nice, it shades really well.
    I like the the color it is a really appealing bordeaux red.
    Iīm sure that I do not own this ink already

Hellboy Sketch by Ptero Pterodactylus on DeviantArt

(Jinhao 159 - M italic ..... Mystery Ink #24 provided by azkid, Cretacolor White Chalk Nr.1)

Iīve used a Jinhao 159 pen, and once again it reminded me why I do not like this (monstrous) pen.
    The nib itself is ok, Iīve ground it to an italic and it is quite nice now, but the pen canīt provide an continous ink flow.
    After some lines it dries out, additionally it is for my taste way too big, heavy, unbalanced and clunky.

But let us come back to the ink.
    The sketch was done on Strathmore 400 Toned Gray paper and many inks do not show or bleed through this paper, which is by the way one of my favorite drawing papers.
    But MI#24 not only showed through, it also bled through and stained the next page

Mi#24 Bleed Through on Strathmore 400 Toned Gray by Ptero Ptero

For comparison, e.g. Diamine Prussian Blue which I used recently quite often never showed any show or bleed through even when heavily applied with a brush.
    That red inks tend to behave not that nicely is imo nothing uncommon, red inks often show some problematic or letīs say not so nice behaviour.
    So with respect to this MI#24 does not surprise me.
    But beside the bleed though it did not shown any feathering or other problems on the front side.

I already wrote a few lines on Clairefontaine paper with the remaining ink, and there it showed not a single sign of bad behaviour, no feathering, no bleed through no show through.
    It showed a sharp line definition and sharp edges together with a really nice shading.

So overall my first impression of MI#24 is really positive.
    I like the color, the shading and the behaviour on good paper.

Thanks to azkid again giving me the opportunity to test this ink

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pterodactylus For This Useful Post:

azkid (March 14th, 2019), DrPenfection (March 14th, 2019), KKay (March 15th, 2019), Scooby921 (March 14th, 2019)

Thanks

I have another pic to add, hopefully tonight. So far I have concluded it isn't one ink I thought it was very similar to, and I have a guess at a second.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Voiren For This Useful Post:

azkid (March 14th, 2019)

Thanks

I was playing around this afternoon with the ink. Sorry - not much of an artist. What I did notice is that this ink does have a small amount of a greenish-gold sheen to it. This sketch doesn't show it very well. Where it shows up is in the middle of the center tree and a few places in the shading of the mountains making it look more brownish. One things is for sure, when used with a stub nib, the ink does shade well on Tomoe River paper. Also, the sketch below was made on cream colored Tomoe River paper (52gm) which may account for why it looks much more burgundy to almost brown rather than red like my previous written submission. The ink had been sitting in the pens for several days and may have concentrated a bit more in the feeds. Also, this sketch was done just with the nib point. No additional water was added to either the ink or the paper. Finally, there was no bleed through and little show through.

Last edited by DrPenfection; March 14th, 2019 at 06:51 PM.

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DrPenfection For This Useful Post:

azkid (March 14th, 2019), KKay (March 15th, 2019), Pterodactylus (March 15th, 2019), Scooby921 (March 15th, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    MI#24 is a nice dark red ink. My sort of colour. So I am very pleased that I got to sample it. Azkid. I couldn't help but wonder if I should know what it is, as I have tried many inks in this colour range.

Whatever it is it gets my vote.

MI#24_0002.JPG

Yes, I saw the same kind of greenish-gold sheen in my sketch - not much but a glint.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to DrPenfection For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (March 15th, 2019)

Thanks

Attack of more terrible lighting here, unfortunately (daylight, but very overcast). The sketch is about the right colour while the text and right side has gone a bit too far towards black. It did turn out a lot darker on the Rhodia/after sitting in the pen overnight. Also, a paper towel blotch.

IMG_20190313_132523_edit.jpgIMG_20190312_230627_edit.jpg

36. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Voiren For This Useful Post:

azkid (March 14th, 2019), Chrissy (March 15th, 2019), KKay (March 15th, 2019), Pterodactylus (March 15th, 2019), Sailor Kenshin (March 14th, 2019), Scooby921 (March 15th, 2019)

Thanks

While I may not have come across MI#24 before, I have come across an ink that is quite similar to it as these two chroma tests suggest:

MI24_0003.JPG

I chroma tested MI#24 then went through my old chroma tests and picked out this one as similar. I won't spoil any surprise yet, but I was amazed at the ink that has a similar chroma test.
    Last edited by Chrissy; March 15th, 2019 at 11:08 AM.

38. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

azkid (March 15th, 2019), KKay (March 15th, 2019), Scooby921 (March 18th, 2019), Voiren (March 15th, 2019)