Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Red Ink... which pen?

Thanks

Default Re: Red Ink... which pen?

Quote Originally Posted by junglejim View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    Some good suggestions here, many thanks for this.

I should add that I am leaning toward a demonstrator. At least that is what I would prefer.
    Here you go--- Pilot Kakuno Extra Fine in a Demo, free shipping from Japan for about $15 US.

Linky: https://www.ebay.com/itm/PILOT-Fonta...RWg6:rk:7:pf:0

All the Best.
    I use a Kakuno with Red Dragon as my main writer. It's F and already very fine. The advice I got from Kakuno owners was that the EF was barely any narrower but noticeably less smooth. The F is about a 0.3mm. Great pen once you adjust the nib angle to suit you - which is covered in my review here.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,697 Posts

Cool link, it's in the "to be considered" pile.

Also wondering if a TWSBI ECO might fit the bill.
    I bought a TWSBI Eco (clear Demonstrator) for my son and I was really surprised about the quality for that price.
    It’s a nice sturdy well looking pen with a surprisingly good nib out of the box (at least our exemplar).

I would definitely recommend one.

What I do not understand in this thread what the color of the ink has to do with the pen selection?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pterodactylus View Post
    Cool link, it's in the "to be considered" pile.

Also wondering if a TWSBI ECO might fit the bill.
    I bought a TWSBI Eco (clear Demonstrator) for my son and I was really surprised about the quality for that price.:
    But if you want a piston filler then a Wing Sung 698 is even cheaper, just as good - in fact it's a decent match for the TSBI 580 - and can take all the nibs made for the Plumix/Prera/etc. And its standard nib is a Pilot design, made on Pilot machinery, and just about about impossible to tell from an actual Pilot - meaning that it's about as good as you can get in that size (0.38 or 0.5)

And Caliarts Ego is said to be virtually identical and cheaper again.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,529 Times in 1,299 Posts

Have bought a Wing Sung 698, after additionally watching reviews from Messrs Brown and Parker (Figboot). Now just have to wait a month for it to make the 12 hour journey from there to here.

Thanks all for the suggestions. There's plenty of alternatives if this one proves unsuitable for my purposes!

Thanks

Have bought a Wing Sung 698, after additionally watching reviews from Messrs Brown and Parker (Figboot). Now just have to wait a month for it to make the 12 hour journey from there to here.
    Possibly useful hack: You can buy 698 nibs cheaply on ebay and fit them in the Wing Sung 3003. The 3003 is nice because its very low cost but has a solid body with a push cap and excellent clip. Its nib is Pilot compatible but a bit flimsy, so it benefits from the upgrade. (The 3003 is almost a Prera clone but a bit longer.)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,483 Times in 1,745 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ilikenails View Post
    Possibly useful hack: You can buy 698 nibs cheaply on ebay and fit them in the Wing Sung 3003. The 3003 is nice because its very low cost but has a solid body with a push cap and excellent clip. Its nib is Pilot compatible but a bit flimsy, so it benefits from the upgrade. (The 3003 is almost a Prera clone but a bit longer.)
    I think I have the 3003...fun little pen, if it's the one I'm thinking of (comes in many bright colors, with a clear feed).
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ilikenails View Post
    I think I have the 3003...fun little pen, if it's the one I'm thinking of (comes in many bright colors, with a clear feed).
    The 3003 is either bright colours or demo, has a Prera style clip, and a VERY distinctive feel when you take the cap off or put it on - it feels almost a magnet is involved. It's a mid-size pen:

https://www.theinkyway.net/single-po...Wing-Sung-3003

...Good choice for a user pen unless you want a true Japanese F.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,483 Times in 1,745 Posts

Link won't open in my browser, but with your description of its cap-closing action, I'm about 90% sure this is it. I got a blue (arrived with cracked cap, mended with clear tape, now Ink Test Pen), a purple, an orange, a yellow and a green. I think they were about two dollars each.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    Link won't open in my browser, but with your description of its cap-closing action, I'm about 90% sure this is it. I got a blue (arrived with cracked cap, mended with clear tape, now Ink Test Pen), a purple, an orange, a yellow and a green. I think they were about two dollars each.
    I think that has to be the same pen. If you switch the nib for a 698 one (you can buy them as spares easily on ebay) you get a scaled-up Prera 0.38 or 0.5 for almost nothing. I prefer them to the 698 because of the excellent push cap and because I prefer syringe filling to piston fill.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ilikenails For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (February 13th, 2019)

Thanks

I use the red ink in either a Sheaffer Prelude with a fine italic nib, a Parker Sonnet with a medium italic 18K nib or in a Montblanc 144 with a fine nib. These are C/C pens. I like to enjoy using the red ink, so I use it in these three half decent pens. I will probably use the Montblanc Burgundy Red and the Sheaffer red until it's gone and might not buy any more.

Staining of the converter. The genius who used smoky plastic tubing in the converters so I can't see the ink level pre-ruined it anyway, so the red staining machs nichts. That old 144 has a clear converter, though. It's been coated with silicone lube, though, so I'll watch it.