Thread: Mont Blanc 145 or Parker Duofold?

Thanks

Default Mont Blanc 145 or Parker Duofold?

I am looking into buying and new fp to add to my collection (I only have a waterman phileas and a parker sonnet) but I don’t know to buy a parker duofold or mont blanc classique (145)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 10,467 Times in 4,006 Posts

Default Re: Mont Blanc 145 or Parker Duofold?

The only Parker Duofold that I have is a Centennial. That is a much bigger pen with a bigger nib than the Montblanc 145 and I would rather have that pen than a Montblanc 145. Even if you are considering a Parker Duofold International, then I think that would still get my vote over the 145.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

penmainiac (February 8th, 2019)

Thanks

Hello penmainiac,

The two fountain pens you mentioned are completely different in character. Chrissy's advice is worth considering because it addresses pen size and nib size, two important features. I have owned both pens you mention, but have sold the 145. Both are C/c fillers and similar in girth. The far longer International Duofold is comfortable for me posted or without a cap. For me, a 145 needs posting for comfort. You will find far greater nib variety choices for the International Duofold. If the Phileas & Sonnet are comfortable for you, either of these should also be satisfactory. Though I love the modern Duofolds in Centenniel & International sizes, I agree with Chrissy that the 145 is more similar to the pens you now use. Both are readily available in the second hand market.

Good luck,
    Barry

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Barry B. Gabay For This Useful Post:

Thanks

The Duofold is probably a better choice. A more impressive pen. It has a wider choice of nibs, including some interesting italics. It is true that some of the more interesting nibs available with the Duofold are also available for Sonnet. I would think that either the 145 or the Duofold would be fairly easy to sell if you didn't like them. I think Duofold is a better choice. If you want to buy a Montblanc I would suggest a 146, a piston filler. Also easily resold if you hate it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to pajaro For This Useful Post: