Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mont blanc 149 or Duofold centennial?

Thanks

Default Mont blanc 149 or Duofold centennial?

I have decided to get a 149 instead of the 145 Meisterstuck, but I am still undecided on wether to get a Parker Duofold vintage big red, or a used Mont Blanc Meisterstuck 149 platinum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 10,361 Times in 3,977 Posts

Default Re: Mont blanc 149 or Duofold centennial?

You have been undecided between quite a few different pens so far, so before you part with your money, try to find a store where you can look at them and hold them in your hand, and possibly try them out. To go from a 145 to a 149 is like changing your mind between buying a car and a boat.

It's not really worth asking us to choose between a 149 and a Duofold Centennial for you, as everyone will just choose the pen that they personally prefer. It may not turn out to be the pen that you prefer and you will have spent a lot of money learning that lesson.

One part of the lesson is that the 149 is a really fat piston filling pen. It's fatter than the Parker Duofold Centennial which is a converter or cartridge filling pen. So first decide on your preference of the filling mechanism. The second part of the lesson is do you want a coloured pen or a black one? The 149 will be black.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (February 9th, 2019), Cyril (February 23rd, 2019), penmainiac (February 9th, 2019), Yazeh (January 24th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    You have been undecided between quite a few different pens so far, so before you part with your money, try to find a store where you can look at them and hold them in your hand, and possibly try them out. To go from a 145 to a 149 is like changing your mind between buying a car and a boat.

It's not really worth asking us to choose between a 149 and a Duofold Centennial for you, as everyone will just choose the pen that they personally prefer. It may not turn out to be the pen that you prefer and you will have spent a lot of money learning that lesson.

One part of the lesson is that the 149 is a really fat piston filling pen. It's fatter than the Parker Duofold Centennial which is a converter or cartridge filling pen. So first decide on your preference of the filling mechanism. The second part of the lesson is do you want a coloured pen or a black one? The 149 will be black.
    Thank you so much! But unfortunately the nearest pen retailer for me is 30 miles away, but Thank you though!

Thanks

There are some really nice pens in about 200-300 wherever you are!

MontBlanc 146
    Parker Duofold
    Pelikan M800
    Sailor 1911 Proft 21/Large
    Platinum President

It is down to filling system, colors and nib size availability.
    Others might suggest something else.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to usk15 For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (February 9th, 2019), penmainiac (February 9th, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by usk15 View Post
    There are some really nice pens in about 200-300 wherever you are!

MontBlanc 146
    Parker Duofold
    Pelikan M800
    Sailor 1911 Proft 21/Large
    Platinum President

It is down to filling system, colors and nib size availability.
    Others might suggest something else.

As Chrissy pointed out, the Montblanc 149 is a big pen. Quite the dreadnought. Often times I think that had I owned mine when I was on active Navy duty, we could have used it as a backup torpedo.

Seriously, the Pelikan M800 and Montblanc 146 are smaller.

Roger that about the nearest pen shop being 30 miles, but ask yourself: How much time might I spend going to the Post Office or UPS store and sending back a pen if I don't like it, or selling it if returns aren't accepted? Of course, the fun of trying out something new might outweigh that. And the 149's lure is strong.

Best of luck, and please let us know what you wind up with, and post some writing samples.
    Last edited by BlkWhiteFilmPix; February 9th, 2019 at 11:28 AM.
    Bob

Making the world a more peaceful place, one fine art print and one handwritten letter at a time.

Paper cuts through the noise – Richard Moross, MOO CEO

Indiana Jones used a notebook in the map room, not an app.

www.bobsoltys.net/fountainpens

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlkWhiteFilmPix For This Useful Post:

penmainiac (February 9th, 2019), Yazeh (January 24th, 2021)

Thanks

You have received some great advice from the above posters. I would like to contribute some observations along with their knowledge and expertise. Having owned many 149s and senior Duofolds over the years, I agree with the posters that they are quite different in character, feel, and appearance. A big, fat, plain black piston filler is not for everyone, but it is an extraordinary fountain pen in every respect. It may however feel too large in the hand for some writers. The Centenniel Duofold which is what we assume you want (despite your having mentioned vintage Big Red - which dates ca. 1921-1933) is quite long when posted. At one time, I posted mine, but have found recently that they are too long for extended periods of writing when posted. Others, of course, will disagree. Even the slightly shorter streamlined Centenniel Duofold models feel a bit long for me now when posted. You will have much greater nib variety with the Duofolds than 149, but far greater ink capacity with 149. For such an investment, I strongly encourage you to research both models and test drive them before buying. Good luck in your hunt.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Barry B. Gabay For This Useful Post:

penmainiac (February 10th, 2019), Yazeh (January 24th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Barry B. Gabay View Post
    You have received some great advice from the above posters. I would like to contribute some observations along with their knowledge and expertise. Having owned many 149s and senior Duofolds over the years, I agree with the posters that they are quite different in character, feel, and appearance. A big, fat, plain black piston filler is not for everyone, but it is an extraordinary fountain pen in every respect. It may however feel too large in the hand for some writers. The Centenniel Duofold which is what we assume you want (despite your having mentioned vintage Big Red - which dates ca. 1921-1933) is quite long when posted. At one time, I posted mine, but have found recently that they are too long for extended periods of writing when posted. Others, of course, will disagree. Even the slightly shorter streamlined Centenniel Duofold models feel a bit long for me now when posted. You will have much greater nib variety with the Duofolds than 149, but far greater ink capacity with 149. For such an investment, I strongly encourage you to research both models and test drive them before buying. Good luck in your hunt.
    Thank you for the advice, and I think I’m going with the 149, however I only have around $400 so I’m going to look for a vintage. Do you know where I could find a vintage 149? Would you recommend buying one at the La Pen Show or The Bay of Evil? Thank you guys so much for all the help!

Last edited by penmainiac; February 10th, 2019 at 11:55 AM.

Thanks

"Would you recommend buying one at the La Pen Show or The Bay of Evil? "

Hmmm? Let's see: hold a pen in your hand, dip or fill it and write with it, talk to the seller, examine it thoroughly, ask permission to carry it to an expert's table and have it assessed (an honest dealer will encourage you to do this) or send your money to a total stranger in cyperspace? Not sure. Lemme think a bit.

My wife says this post is far too sarcastic. And since she is the sweeter and smarter half of the act, I believe her, but will let it stand. Please forgive me if I gave offense. I did not intend to insult you, but to examine a problem which I believe you are capable of very easily resolving. LA show in person, definitely.
    Last edited by Barry B. Gabay; February 10th, 2019 at 11:59 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Barry B. Gabay For This Useful Post:

penmainiac (February 10th, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Barry B. Gabay View Post
    "Would you recommend buying one at the La Pen Show or The Bay of Evil? "

Hmmm? Let's see: hold a pen in your hand, dip or fill it and write with it, talk to the seller, examine it thoroughly, ask permission to carry it to an expert's table and have it assessed (an honest dealer will encourage you to do this) or send your money to a total stranger in cyperspace? Not sure. Lemme think a bit.
    Haha thank you so much. Im very much looking forward to the La Pen show. Thank you for all the advice!
    Don’t worry I did not take that post offensively. I’ve only been collecting pens for a year and am only 13.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatal
    Last edited by penmainiac; February 10th, 2019 at 12:01 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,813 Times in 794 Posts

What other pens have you collected? I guess you know you can buy 2-3 quality pens, new or vintage, with your budget.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by carlos.q View Post
    What other pens have you collected? I guess you know you can buy 2-3 quality pens, new or vintage, with your budget.
    So far, I only have a Parker Sonnet, and a Waterman Phileas

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penmainiac View Post

Have you considered buying other pens rather than a 149? If I were starting out my collecting adventures I would not spend all my money on only one pen.

Thanks

Have you considered buying other pens rather than a 149? If I were starting out my collecting adventures I would not spend all my money on only one pen.
    Well thats true, but the 149 is my grail pen. I’ve also thought about the Parker Duofold and 51, but the 149 is really classy.

Thanks

Well thats true, but the 149 is my grail pen. I’ve also thought about the Parker Duofold and 51, but the 149 is really classy.

I fully understand. I have two vintage MB149s and they are very nice. But if there is something I have learned is that in pen collecting, as in life itself, the journey is much more important than the destination. Best of luck!

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to carlos.q For This Useful Post:

penmainiac (February 10th, 2019), Yazeh (January 24th, 2021)

Thanks

I was wondering, which pen is better? The 146 or 149? I usually prefer larger pens, but the 146 is more budget friendly, but is it possible to get a 149 at a Pen show for less than $400?

Thanks
    Thanked 10,361 Times in 3,977 Posts

For a 13 year old, the 146 is probably the better pen and should be available for less than $400.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

penmainiac (February 10th, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    For a 13 year old, the 146 is probably the better pen and should be available for less than $400.
    Thank you for the advice! Though I am only 13, my hands are pretty big, but I have never held one of theses pens, so I will for sure test them out at the La Pen Show before I buy them. Thank you for the pointers!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,385 Times in 587 Posts

Or you could buy 20 vintage Esterbrooks!
    Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)

26. The Following User Says Thank You to calamus For This Useful Post:

azkid (March 7th, 2019)

Thanks

I have owned both. I bought a new Mont Blanc 149 in the mid 1980's. I sold it and used the proceeds to by a new Parker Duofold Big Red Centennial with a matching ball point pen and mechanical pencil when the Duofold line was reintroduced during the 1990's. I liked the Duofold's early 20th Century American styling and red orange color which is reminiscent of my Grandfather's 1920's era Parker Duofold Big Red. The MB149 is thicker which is neither an advantage or a disadvantage to me. Also, the writing difference between the nibs is not an issue for me. The Duofold's barrel is made out of a solid piece of acrylic plastic that is cut, drilled, and polished on a lathe. This plastic is very dense, hard, and wear resistant. The MB 149 plastic appears to be plastic injected and is a much less dense, softer, and more prone to wear. I got a sticky film on the MB149 and the store that I purchased the MB149 from recommended that I clean the barrel with diluted isopropyl alcohol solution. Using diluted isopropyl alcohol solution was a very bad idea because it cracked the barrel. I explained the situation to Mont Blanc and they replaced the barrel at no charge. Although the MB149's plastics are not near as tough as the Duofold's, one advantage of the MB149 is that Mont Blanc never changes the design, so replacement barrels will probably be available well into the future. I think the Duofold's ability to use a piston converter or a cartridge is an advantage. When traveling you don't have to worry with ink bottles, you can take a box of cartridges with you. The MB149 is a fine pen, but I do not have any regrets selling it to buy a new Parker Duofold 25+ years ago.
    Last edited by uofcbooth; January 24th, 2021 at 04:05 PM.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to uofcbooth For This Useful Post:

penmainiac (January 24th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by uofcbooth View Post
    I have owned both. I bought a new Mont Blanc 149 in the mid 1980's. I sold it and used the proceeds to by a new Parker Duofold Big Red Centennial with a matching ball point pen and mechanical pencil when the Duofold line was reintroduced during the 1990's. I liked the Duofold's early 20th Century American styling and red orange color which is reminiscent of my Grandfather's 1920's era Parker Duofold Big Red. The MB149 is thicker which is neither an advantage or a disadvantage to me. Also, the writing difference between the nibs is not an issue for me. The Duofold's barrel is made out of a solid piece of acrylic plastic that is cut, drilled, and polished on a lathe. This plastic is very dense, hard, and wear resistant. The MB 149 plastic appears to be plastic injected and is a much less dense, softer, and more prone to wear. I got a sticky film on the MB149 and the store that I purchased the MB149 from recommended that I clean the barrel with diluted isopropyl alcohol solution. Using diluted isopropyl alcohol solution was a very bad idea because it cracked the barrel. I explained the situation to Mont Blanc and they replaced the barrel at no charge. Although the MB149's plastics are not near as tough as the Duofold's, one advantage of the MB149 is that Mont Blanc never changes the design, so replacement barrels will probably be available well into the future. I think the Duofold's ability to use a piston converter or a cartridge is an advantage. When traveling you don't have to worry with ink bottles, you can take a box of cartridges with you. The MB149 is a fine pen, but I do not have any regrets selling it to buy a new Parker Duofold 25+ years ago.
    This post was one of my very first times in the hobby. Since then my collection has grown rather immensely. I have used both the duofold and the 149 and I must say while the Duofold is very sturdy and well built, there’s just something about a 149 that makes you feel like someone important.