Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mont Blanc 149

Thanks

Default Re: Mont Blanc 149

penmaniac:
    One good thing about a used MB149 in decent condition is that you can resell it with virtually no loss, unless you overpay when buying. If, for whatever reason, you want it that badly, I think it's OK to just get it out of your system. You can change your mind and move it on, and be wiser but not poorer.

Weight is not quality, as folks have explained very nicely. I would pay more attention to manufacturing tolerances than to weight, if I was looking for a marker of quality.

Not sure if you will be attending the pen show for one or more days (I think it goes on for the entire weekend, I could be wrong), but if you have extra days I wouldn't buy anything on day one. Try different pens, figure out what you like. MB149s are not rare and not difficult to buy, whether at the show or afterwards.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ahriman4891 For This Useful Post:

azkid (February 13th, 2019), penmainiac (February 13th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ilikenails View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by penmainiac View Post

Well my hands are actually very big and I prefer large weightier pens due to the fact that they feel more high quality.
    My hands are large for a Western adult and I'm an adult mesomorph. I still wouldn't use a 149 as a main pen: some of the muscles in the chain used for writing are tiny and easily tired.

And if you think weight equals quality you presumably think that a $10 Chinese pen is better than a handmade Nakaya Urushi... Honestly, you need to get rid of this idea. It's more or less opposite to the truth. If you look at the tools made for artists they're always as light as possible to reduce strain and increase dexterity.

To me the MB 149 is just a short fat pen that I cannot comfortably use unposted. And I am just an average guy with large hands.

People get fatigued when writing due to increased muscle tension held over time. Gripping the pen too firmly - likely due to being accustomed to having to bear down on a ballpoint or similar - is the principal reason for this tension in writing, and the use of "finger writing" instead of "whole arm writing" further exacerbates this.

The solution? Learn to write properly.

In the world of art - let's look at painting - the artist has no choice but to learn how to use a brush gently. It is inherent in the nature of the brush (as it should be for fountain pens). This naturally leads to the lightest of grips, and thus, with such lightness, is removed any need for substantial weight in the brush. A #5 brush is about the same size as a #2 pencil. I've never heard of an artist complaining of fatigue in using either the brush or a pencil.

And that begs the question: how many of you get fatigued by using a pencil? Just a thought.
    Last edited by Empty_of_Clouds; February 14th, 2019 at 12:38 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

penmainiac (February 13th, 2019)

Thanks

Thank you all! You have convinced me that I should reconsider about buying the MB149. Thank you all for the advice and concern. Whichever pen I end up with, I am sure it will be a good pen. I’ll try to post a writings sample after the show. Thank You!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. The Following User Says Thank You to penmainiac For This Useful Post:

azkid (February 13th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,697 Posts

Show_response_1488 by Ptero Ptero

(Montblanc 342 - EF ..... Diamine Prussian Blue)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Pterodactylus For This Useful Post:

penmainiac (February 13th, 2019)

Thanks

Is it possible to find a Mont Blanc 149 at the La Pen Show for less than $400? Or does anyone know where I can find a Mont Blanc Meister 149 or 146 for less than $400?

You should be able to easily find a 149 within that budget. Not long ago I sold mine for 300EUR with shipping worldwide and paypal included. The pen was in excellent condition, box and papers, and I even included a bottle of Montblanc ink.

Edit: that said, I personally also don’t recommend one. It did nothing for me.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,385 Times in 587 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Is it possible to find a Mont Blanc 149 at the La Pen Show for less than $400? Or does anyone know where I can find a Mont Blanc Meister 149 or 146 for less than $400?
    At the pen show you may reliably expect to find virtually all used 146 pens at considerably less than $400, and a substantial selection of used 149 pens for less than $400. This excludes new-in-the-box pens, pre-1960 pens, special edition pens, anniversary pens, bespoke nibbed pens, EF flex nib pens and over-priced pens. Based on your hunger for a pen, I recommend you try to meet one of your fellow FPGeeks at the show who might guide you to certain vendors in order (1) to find the pen that meets your expectations and (2) to avoid disappointment.

Keep in mind the cartoon AzJon posted in our Pen Humor thread:

Oh where oh where is the humor thread?
    Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by calamus View Post
    Oh where oh where is the humor thread?
    In The Lounge, of course!

Thanks

I'll also add, given the situations you're likely to use the pen over the next few years, a MB149 may not be the best option. You asked about the Visconti Homo sapiens in another thread and I think that pen would hold up to the abuse of backpacks better than a 149 but YMMV. I love the MB149 but the material can crack without too much encouragement. A Visconti HS isn't perfect either but I think the volcanic resin is more robust than MB's plastic.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mulrich For This Useful Post:

azkid (February 14th, 2019), penmainiac (February 15th, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mulrich View Post
    I'll also add, given the situations you're likely to use the pen over the next few years, a MB149 may not be the best option. You asked about the Visconti Homo sapiens in another thread and I think that pen would hold up to the abuse of backpacks better than a 149 but YMMV. I love the MB149 but the material can crack without too much encouragement. A Visconti HS isn't perfect either but I think the volcanic resin is more robust than MB's plastic.
    Thank you for the advice! Yes I was asking bout the visconti hs because in general visconti pens are beautiful, and the Hs I’ve heard is moisture absorbent, and it make long writing sessions easier.

Thanks

You can find some very nice Pelikan M800 's or a Montblanc 146 in that price range.

Good luck with finding a pen that you like and that will fulfill your needs.
    Bob

Making the world a more peaceful place, one fine art print and one handwritten letter at a time.

Paper cuts through the noise – Richard Moross, MOO CEO

Indiana Jones used a notebook in the map room, not an app.

www.bobsoltys.net/fountainpens