Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: La Pen Show

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    53
    Thanks
    72
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default La Pen Show

    Hello! Is anyone going to the La Pen Show? I was wondering if someone more experienced could help me find a MontBlanc Meisterstuck 149 and give me some pointers on fountain pens.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Senior Member Jon Szanto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    4,564
    Thanks
    4,793
    Thanked 6,938 Times in 2,557 Posts
    Rep Power
    13

    Default Re: La Pen Show

    Quote Originally Posted by penmainiac View Post
    Hello! Is anyone going to the La Pen Show? I was wondering if someone more experienced could help me find a MontBlanc Meisterstuck 149 and give me some pointers on fountain pens.
    I will drop you a private message as well - there is an *outside* chance I might be there on Saturday and I can try to help. Look for that note this evening.

    I don't know how long you are planning on going or when, but here are a couple thoughts: the way that show (like some others) is organized, the first couple days are a bit more about vintage. On Sunday there is a *big* change, and many vendors (vintage) leave and new people (selling new stuff) come in and the crowd is very different too. It is by far the most crowded day and almost impossible to have any real face time with a dealer/vendor. The drag with LA <rant=on> is that they charge a ridiculously high price even if you want to go part of one of those days. That is just how it is.

    One guy I would seek out is Paul Erano. I don't know a good way to tell you how to find him, but most every person (vendor) there will know him. He is a very straight-shooter, a veteran of years of pen shows and could give you advice and *might* have one of those pens. He has been a guru for me for a long time and one of the best people in all of the pen world. There are a lot of great people behind those tables, so many that I can't name them all. That is a start, at least.

    Read the articles Fred linked to. Your first pen show can be very overwhelming so the more you know in advance, the better. You should take a look at this report on the 2015 LA Pen Show which will give you a sense of the scale of the show, amount of people, etc. Altec is a veteran of many shows and while there may be 'inside' stuff, in general that is a *great* look at the very show you are considering going to.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

    ~ Benjamin Franklin

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

    penmainiac (February 10th, 2019)

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    53
    Thanks
    72
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default La Pen Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by penmainiac View Post
    Hello! Is anyone going to the La Pen Show? I was wondering if someone more experienced could help me find a MontBlanc Meisterstuck 149 and give me some pointers on fountain pens.
    I will drop you a private message as well - there is an *outside* chance I might be there on Saturday and I can try to help. Look for that note this evening.

    I don't know how long you are planning on going or when, but here are a couple thoughts: the way that show (like some others) is organized, the first couple days are a bit more about vintage. On Sunday there is a *big* change, and many vendors (vintage) leave and new people (selling new stuff) come in and the crowd is very different too. It is by far the most crowded day and almost impossible to have any real face time with a dealer/vendor. The drag with LA is that they charge a ridiculously high price even if you want to go part of one of those days. That is just how it is.

    One guy I would seek out is Paul Erano. I don't know a good way to tell you how to find him, but most every person (vendor) there will know him. He is a very straight-shooter, a veteran of years of pen shows and could give you advice and *might* have one of those pens. He has been a guru for me for a long time and one of the best people in all of the pen world. There are a lot of great people behind those tables, so many that I can't name them all. That is a start, at least.

    Read the articles Fred linked to. Your first pen show can be very overwhelming so the more you know in advance, the better. You should take a look at this report on the 2015 LA Pen Show which will give you a sense of the scale of the show, amount of people, etc. Altec is a veteran of many shows and while there may be 'inside' stuff, in general that is a *great* look at the very show you are considering going to.
    Thank you, but unfortunately, I can only go on sunday. If you happen to talk to Mr Erano, could you possibly ask him to save a MontBlanc Meisterstuck for me? My name is Gordon Can.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by penmainiac; February 10th, 2019 at 02:32 PM.

  5. #4
    Senior Member Jon Szanto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    4,564
    Thanks
    4,793
    Thanked 6,938 Times in 2,557 Posts
    Rep Power
    13

    Default Re: La Pen Show

    Quote Originally Posted by penmainiac View Post
    Thank you, but unfortunately, I can only go on sunday.
    Well, crap. I mean, GO, it's always great to go to a show! Go very early and wait in line so you can get in before it gets too crowded. Even for the 30 minutes or so it is worth it. During the week I'll see if I can think of anyone who will be selling on Sunday you should see, but honestly, there is a lot less vintage on Sunday, just a different show.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

    ~ Benjamin Franklin

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

    penmainiac (February 10th, 2019)

  7. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    53
    Thanks
    72
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default La Pen Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by penmainiac View Post
    Thank you, but unfortunately, I can only go on sunday.
    Well, crap. I mean, GO, it's always great to go to a show! Go very early and wait in line so you can get in before it gets too crowded. Even for the 30 minutes or so it is worth it. During the week I'll see if I can think of anyone who will be selling on Sunday you should see, but honestly, there is a lot less vintage on Sunday, just a different show.
    Well if Mr Erano is there, could you possibly ask him to save a Meisterstuck 149 for me? Or if you know any vendors who are willing to sell a meisterstuck 149 for less $400 can you possibly ask them to save one for me possibly?

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by penmainiac; February 10th, 2019 at 02:47 PM.

  8. #6
    Senior Member Jon Szanto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    4,564
    Thanks
    4,793
    Thanked 6,938 Times in 2,557 Posts
    Rep Power
    13

    Default Re: La Pen Show

    Quote Originally Posted by penmainiac View Post
    Well if Mr Erano is there, could you possibly ask him to save a Meisterstuck 149 for me? Or if you know any vendors who are willing to sell a meisterstuck 149 for less $400 can you possibly ask them to save one for me possibly?
    Well, honestly, I don't think it quite works that way. I can't begin to say what the prices are - it depends on how many people have them, what current prices have been like, how old the pen is (you realize that the 149 is everything from a new pen to one that is decades old, right?). Pen shows, as a rule, are not bargain shopping places - for instance, new items will almost always be less expensive online. The tradeoff is that you ACTUALLY GET TO EXAMINE THE OBJECT, which is hard to put a price on.

    In any event, short of actually putting a deposit on something I kinda doubt most of the sellers would just set something aside, especially until the last day, and risk not having a sale. It will be best if you go and look, but I'll keep an eye out if I make it to the show.

    BTW: it is never my intention to dissuade someone from a pen they would like, but there are an awful lot of great pens out there, and you are pretty stuck on that 149. Those are going to be around for years and years - consider just looking at a lot of other pens. You might find something you like even more.

    I have a few hundred pens. Some very nice pens. I don't have a single MB.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

    ~ Benjamin Franklin

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

    penmainiac (February 10th, 2019)

  10. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    53
    Thanks
    72
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: La Pen Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by penmainiac View Post
    Well if Mr Erano is there, could you possibly ask him to save a Meisterstuck 149 for me? Or if you know any vendors who are willing to sell a meisterstuck 149 for less $400 can you possibly ask them to save one for me possibly?
    Well, honestly, I don't think it quite works that way. I can't begin to say what the prices are - it depends on how many people have them, what current prices have been like, how old the pen is (you realize that the 149 is everything from a new pen to one that is decades old, right?). Pen shows, as a rule, are not bargain shopping places - for instance, new items will almost always be less expensive online. The tradeoff is that you ACTUALLY GET TO EXAMINE THE OBJECT, which is hard to put a price on.

    In any event, short of actually putting a deposit on something I kinda doubt most of the sellers would just set something aside, especially until the last day, and risk not having a sale. It will be best if you go and look, but I'll keep an eye out if I make it to the show.

    BTW: it is never my intention to dissuade someone from a pen they would like, but there are an awful lot of great pens out there, and you are pretty stuck on that 149. Those are going to be around for years and years - consider just looking at a lot of other pens. You might find something you like even more.

    I have a few hundred pens. Some very nice pens. I don't have a single MB.
    Thanks ig I will come and actually check out the pens. I have managed to contact Mr Erano, but je hasnt told me how much he is going to sell those MBs thanks though!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    53
    Thanks
    72
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: La Pen Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by penmainiac View Post
    Well if Mr Erano is there, could you possibly ask him to save a Meisterstuck 149 for me? Or if you know any vendors who are willing to sell a meisterstuck 149 for less $400 can you possibly ask them to save one for me possibly?
    Well, honestly, I don't think it quite works that way. I can't begin to say what the prices are - it depends on how many people have them, what current prices have been like, how old the pen is (you realize that the 149 is everything from a new pen to one that is decades old, right?). Pen shows, as a rule, are not bargain shopping places - for instance, new items will almost always be less expensive online. The tradeoff is that you ACTUALLY GET TO EXAMINE THE OBJECT, which is hard to put a price on.

    In any event, short of actually putting a deposit on something I kinda doubt most of the sellers would just set something aside, especially until the last day, and risk not having a sale. It will be best if you go and look, but I'll keep an eye out if I make it to the show.

    BTW: it is never my intention to dissuade someone from a pen they would like, but there are an awful lot of great pens out there, and you are pretty stuck on that 149. Those are going to be around for years and years - consider just looking at a lot of other pens. You might find something you like even more.

    I have a few hundred pens. Some very nice pens. I don't have a single MB.
    Well if I canít get a 149, I am also looking to find a 146, or a Parker 51, duofold or Vacumatic.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #9
    Senior Member Jon Szanto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    4,564
    Thanks
    4,793
    Thanked 6,938 Times in 2,557 Posts
    Rep Power
    13

    Default Re: La Pen Show

    Quote Originally Posted by penmainiac View Post
    Well if I canít get a 149, I am also looking to find a 146, or a Parker 51, duofold or Vacumatic.
    And you will find all of those, in many variations, at the show. Many, many pens.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

    ~ Benjamin Franklin

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

    penmainiac (February 10th, 2019)

  14. #10
    FPG Donor ♕ Chrissy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Berkshire UK
    Posts
    5,421
    Thanks
    2,495
    Thanked 4,533 Times in 1,751 Posts
    Rep Power
    12

    Default Re: La Pen Show

    Quote Originally Posted by penmainiac View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by penmainiac View Post
    Well if Mr Erano is there, could you possibly ask him to save a Meisterstuck 149 for me? Or if you know any vendors who are willing to sell a meisterstuck 149 for less $400 can you possibly ask them to save one for me possibly?
    Well, honestly, I don't think it quite works that way. I can't begin to say what the prices are - it depends on how many people have them, what current prices have been like, how old the pen is (you realize that the 149 is everything from a new pen to one that is decades old, right?). Pen shows, as a rule, are not bargain shopping places - for instance, new items will almost always be less expensive online. The tradeoff is that you ACTUALLY GET TO EXAMINE THE OBJECT, which is hard to put a price on.

    In any event, short of actually putting a deposit on something I kinda doubt most of the sellers would just set something aside, especially until the last day, and risk not having a sale. It will be best if you go and look, but I'll keep an eye out if I make it to the show.

    BTW: it is never my intention to dissuade someone from a pen they would like, but there are an awful lot of great pens out there, and you are pretty stuck on that 149. Those are going to be around for years and years - consider just looking at a lot of other pens. You might find something you like even more.

    I have a few hundred pens. Some very nice pens. I don't have a single MB.
    Well if I canít get a 149, I am also looking to find a 146, or a Parker 51, duofold or Vacumatic.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    At 13 years old please can I recommend that you think very carefully about spending all of your money on one very expensive pen.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Blog: inkyfountainpens

  15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

    AzJon (February 11th, 2019), Jon Szanto (February 11th, 2019), penmainiac (February 11th, 2019)

  16. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    53
    Thanks
    72
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: La Pen Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by penmainiac View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by penmainiac View Post
    Well if Mr Erano is there, could you possibly ask him to save a Meisterstuck 149 for me? Or if you know any vendors who are willing to sell a meisterstuck 149 for less $400 can you possibly ask them to save one for me possibly?
    Well, honestly, I don't think it quite works that way. I can't begin to say what the prices are - it depends on how many people have them, what current prices have been like, how old the pen is (you realize that the 149 is everything from a new pen to one that is decades old, right?). Pen shows, as a rule, are not bargain shopping places - for instance, new items will almost always be less expensive online. The tradeoff is that you ACTUALLY GET TO EXAMINE THE OBJECT, which is hard to put a price on.

    In any event, short of actually putting a deposit on something I kinda doubt most of the sellers would just set something aside, especially until the last day, and risk not having a sale. It will be best if you go and look, but I'll keep an eye out if I make it to the show.

    BTW: it is never my intention to dissuade someone from a pen they would like, but there are an awful lot of great pens out there, and you are pretty stuck on that 149. Those are going to be around for years and years - consider just looking at a lot of other pens. You might find something you like even more.

    I have a few hundred pens. Some very nice pens. I don't have a single MB.
    Well if I canít get a 149, I am also looking to find a 146, or a Parker 51, duofold or Vacumatic.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    At 13 years old please can I recommend that you think very carefully about spending all of your money on one very expensive pen.
    Yes I realize that the 149 or 146 are very expensive pens. But I guess they are my grail pens and Iím willing to spend $400 on a pen that has an msrp of $935.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  17. #12
    Senior Member Jon Szanto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    4,564
    Thanks
    4,793
    Thanked 6,938 Times in 2,557 Posts
    Rep Power
    13

    Default Re: La Pen Show

    Quote Originally Posted by penmainiac View Post
    Yes I realize that the 149 or 146 are very expensive pens. But I guess they are my grail pens and Iím willing to spend $400 on a pen that has an msrp of $935.
    It is within the realm of possibility you may find a vintage 149, probably not mint, for that amount. Please don't think that you will find that kind of a discount on that kind of pen purchased new. It just won't happen.

    I'll just suggest, once again, that you open your mind to other pen possibilities. Going to that pen show, you are going to see so many pens that will rival or surpass that basic 149 it will take a while for it to sink in. You are making your decision, at this point, without knowing all your potential candidates.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

    ~ Benjamin Franklin

  18. #13
    Senior Member AzJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Flagstaff
    Posts
    612
    Thanks
    717
    Thanked 561 Times in 241 Posts
    Rep Power
    4

    Default Re: La Pen Show

    I mean no disrespect here, but hear me out:

    You want to get a very expensive pen (no issue here. Your money, your choice) and are asking about fountain pen advice. Don't get me wrong, being a newb in the fountain pen world can be a bit overwhelming and this pen as what sounds like is going to be your first pen is a bit much. Do whatever you want, but, using myself as an example, my taste in pens changed drastically from when I started to where I am now. If you really want a 149/146 for the prices you have listed... I would strongly encourage you to see if someone here is looking to sell it at that price or make a reddit account, give it a few months so you are eligible to post on the Pen_Swap sub-reddit, and post a [WTB] (Want To Buy) post for the pen and price you are looking for.

    I also suggest you get an account anyways and go to the /r/fountainpens subreddit (13 is the minimum age to join Reddit) where you can find waves of information for new(er) pen users. There is not a ton of Montblanc love there, but there is a more...vibrant base that is willing to answer very basic pen questions.

    Good luck, but I personally will be surprised if you find a 149 at a pen show (let alone the LA pen show) for less than $400.

  19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AzJon For This Useful Post:

    Jon Szanto (February 11th, 2019), penmainiac (February 11th, 2019)

  20. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    East Coast of US
    Posts
    67
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 57 Times in 25 Posts
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: La Pen Show

    There will be many 149s to chose from at the LA show, as at all major and smaller pen shows. Of course, many will be priced at well over $400, but for some writers, older and used 149s are superior to brand new ones. Presently among my 13 Montblanc 149s, covering more than 50 years of production, only 3 were purchased new. Those new ones were purchased long ago. In recent years, all of my 149 purchases have been used, several coming from US pen shows, and none priced at over $400.

    Ask the advice of Dr. Osman Sumer at the show. He is a Montblanc expert with a world-wide reputation for knowledge and honesty. He will be happy to examine a 149 for you, but he will also be quite busy. Please be respectful of his time. Mike Bloom from Miami may also be there, and the first day of a pen show he usually has at least a dozen 149s from various eras. Mike will also give you an honest evaluation even if you aren't buying one of his. Please consider his time valuable as well.

    Not sure who else will be present; there will be many dealers with 149s. Both Osman and Mike are my friends whose integrity is widely recognized. That's why I suggest them. You will find many other reputable folks there with 149s.

    Good luck.
    Last edited by Barry B. Gabay; February 12th, 2019 at 10:24 AM. Reason: more information

  21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Barry B. Gabay For This Useful Post:

    BlkWhiteFilmPix (April 6th, 2019), Jon Szanto (February 12th, 2019)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •