Thread: Two simultaneous PIFs!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,379 Times in 586 Posts

Default Two simultaneous PIFs!

Howdy howdy,

I am offering for free, two different lots of free stuff. Granted, they're pretty inexpensive, but hey, they're free, and I'll even pop for the postage (Continental United States only). And they're guaranteed to write, or your money back.

Please decide which of the two items interests you, assuming at least one of them does, and express your interest by posting to this thread at any time up until about a week from now, let's say until any time on Saturday January 19 (that would be up until midnight, PST). Please put your name in the hat for only one of the items.

LOT NUMBER ONE: A hand-carved quill. I bought a bunch of turkey feathers and have been practicing quill-carving, and now have more quills than I can use. This one has plenty of shaft left for re-carving as the point gets worn out. (Check out any of about a zillion YouTube videos for information on how to do it.) It has an italic cut nib, and I'm posting photos below of the entire quill, the nib, and a writing sample. The writing was done with walnut ink on fairly toothy drawing paper, and it feathered a little, so the edges are a little knobbly looking in closeup. I imagine on smoother, more ink-friendly paper the edges would look sharper. I was surprised when I saw the magnified edges, because to my naked eye the lines look perfectly clean. The quill requires fairly frequent dipping, and a lighter touch than you'd use with a metal-nibbed dip pen.

LOT NUMBER TWO: A Manuscript Beginner's Calligraphy Fountain Pen set with three nib sections. I bought the set on impulse at Michael's because it was on sale and I was curious about it. It was made in the UK, and the quality is quite decent. It's definitely a lower end item, but it writes nicely. The italic nibs are 0.85 mm, 1.1 mm and 1.6 mm, and the set includes a converter and I'm throwing in a few black ink cartridges as well. The only reason I'm not keeping the set is because I already have an Osmiroid set and a Platignum set that are very similar, and which I've had for years and have become attached to, particularly the Osmiroid.

Winners will be chosen by the "names written on folded slips of paper in a hat" method. The names will be written on the slips of paper in fountain pen, of course, and my son will do the drawings. Again, please put your name in the hat for only one or the other of the two lots, and not both.

Last edited by calamus; January 12th, 2019 at 10:23 PM.
    Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calamus For This Useful Post:

KKay (January 17th, 2019), VertOlive (January 14th, 2019)

Thanks

Cool Re: Two simultaneous PIFs!

hi im new here and I would like to put my name in the hat for the calligraphy set thanks

4. The Following User Says Thank You to tomatogardener59 For This Useful Post:

calamus (January 14th, 2019)

Thanks

Default Re: Two simultaneous PIFs!

hi, id like to be entered for the calligraphy set, thank you for your generosity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. The Following User Says Thank You to waldbrent For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 1,642 Posts

Not an entry, but kudos for such a great PIF from this FP Geek member!
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

8. The Following User Says Thank You to VertOlive For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,379 Times in 586 Posts

Good morning. I'm ready to announce the winner of the calligraphy set, but before I do, I have something I'd like to say.

Turns out I had bought a Manuscript calligraphy pen with a single nib and section the week before I got the set. The pen had also been on sale (one of those coupon deals Michaels does), so I picked it up to see if it was any good, and was sufficiently pleased that when I saw the whole set the following week at a price too good to pass up, I reflexively snagged it too. But, as I mentioned, I didn't really need it, or the first pen, for that matter. So, I have a consolation prize for the runner-up:

So, finally, THE GRAND ANNOUNCEMENT -- the winner is (trumpet fanfare) tomatogardener59!

So to collect your grand prize, tomatogardener59, and your consolation prize, waldbrent, just PM me within the next few days.

Happy trails.
    Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)

Thanks

thank you so much and a pm is in your inbox and thank you again for such a lovely prize .

Thanks

thank you for your generosity, i will PM you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk