Thread: Hello from Saskatchewan (Canada)

Thanks

Default Hello from Saskatchewan (Canada)

Hi,

Somehow I never joined this forum before, even though I've been using fountain pens for a few years.

I've amassed a modest collection of pens but I seem to prefer Parker pens with Vacumatic mechanisms. My go-to pen is my 1947 Canadian-made Parker 51 Vac. I have a few Vacumatic Majors and a Vacumatic Sub Deb too.

Inkwise, the collection is much larger than it needs to be and I'm embarrassed to say it took me about six years to empty my first bottle of ink (a bottle of Waterman Florida Blue that I finished just this past weekend). I'm going to make a concerted effort to try to downsize the collection a little bit and use up some of the older bottles.

I'm involved in a traveling journal project and have been for several years. We have a journal in which to make entries for a couple or three weeks, and then mail it off to the next person. Everyone has a journal in circulation, so notwithstanding transit times, everyone has a journal in which to make entries.

I haven't gotten too crazy about paper and notebooks, but I do like the smooth paper in the Apica notebooks.

We're thinking of a trip to Japan next year and the idea of exploring the fountain pen culture there is quite intriguing. One reason I need to downsize the ink collection is to make room for a couple or three bottles of hard-to-get-outside-Japan ink, if this trip happens.

Jim

Thanks

Default Re: Hello from Saskatchewan (Canada)

Hello and welcome. It took me a few years too to finish a bottle 30ml of purple ink.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Morgaine View Post
    Hello and welcome. It took me a few years too to finish a bottle 30ml of purple ink.
    Purple must be your favourite? I'd put it in third place behind blue and green for me, but I find myself using it more and more over time.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,467 Times in 4,006 Posts

Hello and welcome to FPGeeks.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

Welcome! I know what you mean about having too many inks. At the rate I am going, 3 years for 30ml will be rather quick for any of these. I am rather thankful that J. Herbin offers some 10ml sample sizes!

Thanks

Welcome

Thanks

Thanks for all the welcomes

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    Thanks I got to Texas for the first time last year, and will be there again in May. It's a long drive from Saskatchewan, but there are some mighty interesting places along the way.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,394 Times in 588 Posts

Greetings from the other CA (California). I love Canada, although it's been a few years since I've been up there.
    Does the photo in your screen name mean you're a photographer? What kind of pictures do you take, and what's your favorite camera?
    Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)

Thanks

Hi Jim

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 1,647 Posts

Another welcome from the Lone Star Planet!
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by calamus View Post
    Greetings from the other CA (California). I love Canada, although it's been a few years since I've been up there.
    Does the photo in your screen name mean you're a photographer? What kind of pictures do you take, and what's your favorite camera?
    Indeed it does, although I'm an amateur only. While I shoot mostly digital now, I still shoot some film and do my own black-and-white darkroom work. I prefer landscapes and scenics, and have more photos of abandoned farm buildings on the Canadian prairies than anyone ever needs to see.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
    Hi,

Somehow I never joined this forum before, even though I've been using fountain pens for a few years.

I've amassed a modest collection of pens but I seem to prefer Parker pens with Vacumatic mechanisms. My go-to pen is my 1947 Canadian-made Parker 51 Vac. I have a few Vacumatic Majors and a Vacumatic Sub Deb too.

Inkwise, the collection is much larger than it needs to be and I'm embarrassed to say it took me about six years to empty my first bottle of ink (a bottle of Waterman Florida Blue that I finished just this past weekend). I'm going to make a concerted effort to try to downsize the collection a little bit and use up some of the older bottles.

I'm involved in a traveling journal project and have been for several years. We have a journal in which to make entries for a couple or three weeks, and then mail it off to the next person. Everyone has a journal in circulation, so notwithstanding transit times, everyone has a journal in which to make entries.

I haven't gotten too crazy about paper and notebooks, but I do like the smooth paper in the Apica notebooks.

We're thinking of a trip to Japan next year and the idea of exploring the fountain pen culture there is quite intriguing. One reason I need to downsize the ink collection is to make room for a couple or three bottles of hard-to-get-outside-Japan ink, if this trip happens.

Jim
    Jim,

You will love Japan! The culture is extraordinary!

Good luck on your trip! Glad you are among us!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bisquitlips View Post
    You will love Japan! The culture is extraordinary!

Good luck on your trip! Glad you are among us!
    Thanks! I'm sure intrigued by the place. I hope the trip works out. (It's kind of a long story, but it involves an event we'd really like to attend that will happen on a repositioning cruise between Vancouver and Tokyo.)

We visited Kansas City for the first time last May - I sure enjoyed it. It's remarkably easy to drive around, for such a big city, and needless to say, the barbecue there is pretty amazing. We were only there for a day and a half (we stopped on the way to Dallas) but we still managed to eat at three different barbecue joints.